cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info for customers with fibre faults.

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Info for customers with fibre faults.

Range B (or Impacted) is where Openreach detect that some form of optimisation of the line could potentially increase the sync speed.
The Openreach guidance is that ISPs choosing an engineer installed service should use Range A and ISPs choosing a self-install should use Range B (as the wiring would be unknown and no issues picked up until the service goes live).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There is no internal wiring Andy, just the NTE5a with a Mk3 SSFP as installed by a (phone faults) engineer on the FTTC install. Range A is what Plusnet quoted him.
Well, that's a strange hypothesis ejs  Undecided
wayyoung
Rising Star

Well, we'll have to wait a little longer to get to the bottom of this as I had a 'No Show' with the engineer today. Not even a call  😞
Anotherone
Champion

Have you checked your ticket to see if it's been updated with any info?
wayyoung
Rising Star

Yip. I had tried that thanks. No updates to the ticket though.
wayyoung
Rising Star

Eventually an engineer turns up exactly 24 hours after PN said they would. Luckily I was at home for lunch, something I don't normally do.
He runs various checks on the line. All returns are as expected. He goes to the cabinet and rechecks everything. He returns 20 mins later to confirm that all is as it should be and that he can see I'm on a 40/2 capped connection (as it should be).
He calls OR engineers (?) and they confirm that nothing seems wrong with my setup.
We look at the route my line takes and discover that it is only 1.1km long but unfortunately 2/3 of it is Aluminium. So it appears my poor speeds are down to line characteristics rather than a faulty install/equipment.
It was suggested that as my US and DS is between 25-35% of the capped rate (being 40/2), an increase in the US IP profile may result in an increase in the US rate. It sounds feasible but I'm not entirely sure about that. It appears that it would require PN voluntarily upping my US profile.
Have made this request and will see where that gets me.
Any thoughts on the US profile change? Would it make a difference on the US rate?
Anotherone
Champion

Did he check the ADSL was physically disconnected at the exchange? There are filters in the Cab but the attenuation of the ADSL by the filter might not be sufficient to prevent some sort of interference - this is just an of the cuff thought and there maybe nothing in it.
Aluminium cable is a pain, but I doubt changing the upstream profile will make the slightest difference as you are nowhere near the upper limit. What I can't get my head around is the the Upstream U0 band should give at least the same or better upstream speed as you had on ADSL - the Cab is nearer than the exchange!
wayyoung
Rising Star

It's been a bit of a ball ache this whole issue. Wish I never 'upgraded' and stayed on ADSL. PN don't seem to give a hoot!
FYI, he engineer disconnected the line and then reconnected it at the cab. No visit to the exchange, but I doubt it'd make a difference. Out of a 1.1km length line, about 900m of it is aluminium straight to the cab. I guess it's just bad luck for me 😞
I would consider downgrading but I doubt PN would go for that.