Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the absence of Adam Walker

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: In the absence of Adam Walker

Thank you, Matt.  I will go by your advice and leave things as they are for time being.
As for router compatible with routerstat, is my router - Netgear DG834GT - compatible?  Will appreciate your feedback.
Many regards,
Chandu.
rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The DG834GT is compatible with RouterStats.
If it flashed with the standard netgear firmware then any Target SNR set will have to be set everytime the router is reset. I believe that the change is persistant when set through the web gui if it has been flashed with the DGTeam firmware.
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: rhohne
The DG834GT is compatible with RouterStats.
If it flashed with the standard netgear firmware then any Target SNR set will have to be set everytime the router is reset.

Thank you rhohne for your feedback.  Mine has latest Netgear firmware, so (according to your experience) I should be able set my target SNR through RouterStats.
Thanks very much.
Regards,
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,
Just at the time of my post # 28 on 29/09/11, things were going great guns.  Things were stabilising.  In that post as soon as I mentioned to change the SNR down from 12 to 9 dB and following Matt's advice of leaving things alone, I have started to get a few disconnections - bearing in mind that nothing has changed at my end.
I wonder if this thing is psychic !!!!  As soon as I mention changeing down the SNR by only 3 dB, it starts to play silly games of disconnection.
@ Matt or Adam, any explanation on this phenomenon?
Regards,
Chandu.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chandu,
Unfortunately as with any fault it's not easy to see the cause - there's many things that could be the reason for a disconnection. Did it happen whilst the phone was in use? Does it still happen if the router is plugged into the master socket with all other items removed from the line? Was there anything electrical nearby that could be broadcasting electrical interference that is disrupting the signal?
Sorry that I can't give a definitive answer, though I hope the above helps - if it does still drop connection with only the router in the master socket then it's generally down to a fault somewhere between your premises and the exchange.
chandu
Rising Star

@Matt,
Yes, the router is still connected to master socket via OR filtered Front plate and my Desk top is connecting via wireless adapter.  Only thing connected to this front plate is the base unit to wireless telephone as still I have not connected any hardwired extention cables.
Regards,
chandu
chandu
Rising Star

Hello Again Matt; Adam; Alex;JoJo;
I have had a very solid stable line for last 22 days - NOT a murmur!!  Quite pleased with that.  Thanks guys.
Only annoying part is my router is syncing at 2624kbps (down) and 108kbs (up) and BT Speed Test shows 2.1mbps (down) and 70kbps (up) with relevant SNRs at 12db and 15db.  It is taking a long time to initiate a webpage download.  Once the request is accepted the page download is quite quick.
Guys, any suggestions on how I can improve on my upload speed without upsetting the line stability which has now been achieved after lots of  'toing and froing' ? I am quite happy with the download speed considering my line length.
My router statistics are below:
System Up Time 672:34:42
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1479201 2138238 0 144 1385 525:56:06
LAN 10M/100M 149283 30341 0 27 1 672:34:37
WLAN 11M/54M 547175 408273 0 2272 237 80:12:42
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2624 kbps 108 kbps
Line Attenuation 61.0 db 33.8 db
Noise Margin 12.0 db 15.6 db

Will appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.
Chandu.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Chandu,
I can see from a test that the line's upstream is synching at 10kbps. I'd like run a test with your router in the master socket to see if that changes at all.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
Thanks for your prompt response.
My router is still connected to Master socket via Openreach's filtered plate and kept ON 24/7.  Smiley  No other extensions connected.  The telephone base unit still connected to Phone port on the master socket.  The desktop is connecting to BB via wireless adapter.  Hope this helps.
Regards,
Chandu.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry for the confusion Chandu, I meant to say the test socket rather than master socket!
Would that be possible?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks, Adam.
I shall connect the router to the test socket, via dangly filter, tonight so you can carry out your test/s tomorrow.  I shall disable the router by software disconnect and then switch off and transfer the router connection to the test socket before powering ON again.  Hopefully it does not affect DLM.  Wink
Please do let me know how long I need to leave the router in the test socket.  Smiley
Thanks,
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Okay, Adam, router now connected to test socket via filter with the wireless phone base in phone port on the filter as that is the only phone socket available.  Smiley
Please do let me know when I can put the OR's filtered plate back on.
Thanks and Regards,
Chandu.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chandu,
The test I've just run shows you in sync at 444 on the upstream in the test socket, have you noticed an improvement? Also does the upstream speed drop again when you put the faceplate back?
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt
Also does the upstream speed drop again when you put the faceplate back?

I think the improvement in upload speed might have been achieved without router connecting to the test socket just by software disconnection and powerdown for about 1 hour and then powering the router back On.
However,Matt, do you want me to put the faceplate back on and connect the router and phone to this faceplate?  If so, then I hope you don't want me to connect the router to the test socket again!!!  Wink
Please do let me know.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: chandu
I think the improvement in upload speed might have been achieved without router connecting to the test socket just by software disconnection and powerdown for about 1 hour and then powering the router back On.

Are you saying you noticed an improvement after disconnecting and reconnecting? Did you try that in the faceplate before trying the test socket?
I know your upstream sync was low when Adam last tested, and also that when I tested the other day (when the router was in the test socket) it had gone back up to 448kb/s.
Quote from: chandu
However,Matt, do you want me to put the faceplate back on and connect the router and phone to this faceplate?  If so, then I hope you don't want me to connect the router to the test socket again!!!  Wink

Depends on if you think the fault is resolved or not to be honest. The testing above proves that the upstream isn't slow in the test socket, so I guess plug it back into the faceplate - but if it slows down again you know the issue is caused by either internal wiring or something plugged into the line, in which case we can't really help you resolve it.