cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a member breaches the DPA by posting/ guessing personal info of other members

TORPC
Grafter

If a member breaches the DPA by posting/ guessing personal info of other members

what is PN's Duty of care
As per title
Do the perpetrator get punished / banned ?Huh
14 REPLIES 14
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: If a member breaches the DPA by posting/ guessing personal info of other members

If someone knows, or works out personal information of another user, they shouldn't post it.
I think it's fair to expect our moderators to redact it if they see it, and for people to report it when they see it without obvious permission.
I think the original thing was a funny one, based on something which I'll PM to you.  I don't expect that there was any malice in that post.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
itsme
Grafter

Re: If a member breaches the DPA by posting/ guessing personal info of other members

Simple answer no.
Ray members don't hold data on other members so how can they breach the DPA
TORPC
Grafter

@itsme
Please see Kelly's reply Wink
TORPC
Grafter

I forgot to ask
@Kelly
What happens if / when a member of the DCT refuses point blank to re-flag it to the Mods
With permission I can PM you the PM's I have received
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

TORPC.. your query has nothing to do with the DPA
The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

source: https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act
so itsme is correct, should PN not wish for members who are trying to help other members post some information that is readily available in the public domain is another matter.
That's PN's decisions and if they wish it then it is. I also think there's a difference between something that is in the public domain and something that is deduced. but there you go.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TORPC
Grafter

Kelly answered the question appropriately
Who on here mentioned anything aboit about it was or was not deduced by searching a public domain ?Huh
Although no malice was meant , The fact is, that permissions were not sought
As Kelly have quite rightly stated
Quote from: Kelly
If someone knows, or works out personal information of another user, they shouldn't post it.
I think it's fair to expect our moderators to redact it if they see it, and for people to report it when they see it without obvious permission.
<snip>

Which should be taken at face value
Edit:
Amended spelling mistake
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

perhaps you should change your thread title then as it's not a DPA related issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AndyH
Grafter

@ TORPC
People can work out a lot of information about users on here by what they post and their profile pages. Posting personal information is a different issue (and against the forum rules, I think). But as far the DPA goes, it does not cover this.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: TORPC
What happens if / when a member of the DCT refuses point blank to re-flag it to the Mods

There's no need to reflag it to the mods, we were already in discussion with them when you made that request.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you have your website shown in your profile and a simple whois look up  gives your full address including post code then it is in the public domain
TORPC
Grafter

Cheer Chris
The issue has now been resolved
Many thanks to the Member of the DCT & the Mods for resolving this issue Grin
@OJ
As stated permissions were not sought before it was posted
There is no need to discuss this further
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I pointed out above permission is not needed as you have published the information
TORPC
Grafter

@OJ
please leave it alone, & let this rest
as it has been resolved,
Kelly has replied more than appropriately & so has Chris
I suggest this thread now gets locked
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Thread locked at the request of the OP as it has served it's purpose.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine