cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Plusnet sold cars.................

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: If Plusnet sold cars.................

If your predicted monthly usage is 20GB or less and performance on downloading using FTP or P2P was more important than cost I'd go for Pro every time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pugs
Grafter

@Anotherone
Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old git. BT estimated 3MB speed. My exchange is on red so I guess that may be the reason why. Having said that, 3MB ore thereabouts is fine for me. I don't play games or use Voip and rarely watch Youtube or online TV. My gripe is the download speeds. My fault for selecting the wrong provider but my download speeds early in the weekend were very poor, a lot lower than stated in the traffic shaping document. I use the machine for work with small (up to 100MB) downloads and will just need to change my pattern for non-essential things. I'm stuffed from a choice point of view as I live in the country with no access to cable or anything other than BT services at the exchange.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You exchange being on red has nothing to do with the estimated speed which is purely down to your distance from the exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nathan1111
Grafter

I bought a BMW from PlusNet 5 Years ago. I had no problems Until say this year. First the Battery Kept cutting Out several times, and it took even longer to get from 0-60mph from before.
Then a very bad thing happened. I brought it in for a service, and somehow they must have dabbled with the AC/heating, as my Bmw took longer to UP More Heat. So I had to bring it to PlusNet Workshop to repair it.
Omg They fixed it, and the heating comes on Slightly faster then it used to Already, (I was paying extra for a Better Heating system then most people)
But Then I kept getting intermittent faults (Which would cut out the Engine randomly) , And , And the speed just Werent how it used to be.
And So I told the PlusNet mechanics, And they fixed the intermittent Fault. But the Car just doesnt run that Fast anymore; And they still havent fixed it.
PlusNet Don't make Cars. But if they did theyd be the .................... in the World. Crazy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nathan1111,
If you've recently had a fault fixed but your speeds aren't what they were we can reset the SNR margin for you if you like - it'll mean going through the 10 day training period again (as you did when you were first connected to the ADSL Max service) but it should reset the line to a faster speed than you're on currently, provided the line state hasn't been changed by the fault fix.
Let me know if you'd like that to happen and I'll arrange it for you.
Cheers,
Matt
I guess that'd be similar to your car getting a service but you needing to be careful and not rev it too high for the next thousand miles or so, as it was when the car was new. Or something. Cheesy
nathan1111
Grafter

Thanks Matt, but I think I'll be ok for now. Shame to say I think I will be leaving PlusNet soon.
Seems if it were a Car everyone is getting a free Engine V8 Upgrade. But I'm paying more for my Slower BMW,
So I'm going to Get a Mistubishi Eclipse instead, with a Customised Faster Engine Heats Up more quicker too; And Cheaper Monthly Insurance then What im paying for the BMW.  Undecided
Lurker
Grafter

Public transport is good too - much cheaper, although less convenient.
My closest 'public transport' is in a pub down the road.
Decent speeds, but open WiFi so not the best.
You pays your money etc.
nathan1111
Grafter

Well I guess anything is Cheaper then Walking (56k) Walking takes ages and is like a TaxiCab, by the minute
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nathan,
You're currently driving the old model BMW (premier option 1), you could take a look at the newer models on our website to see if one of those would be more suitable for you - I suspect a new one would be cheaper to run and a lot smoother, too (I realise there's a longer off peak period on Premier, but I suspect you'll find the traffic prioritisation better on the newer products).
If you want to test drive it for a month I'd be happy to arrange that, and you can swap back if you're not happy? I suspect the SNR reset would also help things along.
Please let me know, ta.
nathan1111
Grafter

Thats the thing Matt. Its like My BMW comes with a  Rockford Fosgate Audio System. I get more Sound out of it, Whereas the BMW 6 Series that PlusNet have are nicer. They are Faster, and more sleek But the Soundsytem is not as Good & only plays Radio between the hours of 12am - 8am, rather then mine playing Cds between 12am - 4pm
Matt I've asked a couple of times, what is happening with Premier Legacy Customers, and the 21CN/ADSL2+, But its a case of "no-one does not knwo at this time, but an announcement will be made for this migration". Now I waited a while A very long time for ADSL2+ as I was going to go with BeThere from a few years ago but thought I'll wait for Non LLU 20/24Mb. The waits over and yeh it is still early stages in terms of these New Products being Added, But I dont feel I can keep on waiting to see what will happen to Customers on Legacy products such as myself, seeing how they will be affected.
As you know I'm paying £31.31 Yes thats £31.31, for 8mb, with 832k Upload. If I change I lose those Off Peak Hours, yes Faster speeds, and yes 80gb allowance. But with Faster Speeds your much more likely to download more and therefore Id fill the 80Gb Quota Very Easy.
12am-8am Is fine for most people, but just not for me as my Downloads Start from 12am, And more downloads Scheduled from 7am - 4pm. And as you can probably see my usage during Off Peak is quite High. 250Gb Minimum, sometimes even 400Gb.
I do Love PlusNet, and Yeh i have had a few tech probs that have been sorted out (apart from the reduced speed) Though u did say I could get  a reset of Snr, But I dont think im getting the best Deal at the moment, nor with the Newer packages.
I'm asking for alot I kno; But it would be nice for Older Legacy Customers, to be able to stay with the Off Peak Hours & be migrated to Upto 20mb. Could be like a Thank you for staying with us (Im sure ive posted this in a previous post)
Anyways That would be nice, & would be nice if given the Option to Pay a little Extra to be put on WBC Annex M, (If Available that is).
But yeh If u could Reset the SNR it may make a difference to what im experiencing at the moment.
Thank You Matt  Kiss
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It may have a rockford fosgate audio system but I suspect the sound is being piped out through a halfords speaker shelf. The newer accounts may only offer radio between midnight and 8am but you get it through Infinity crossovers and Focal speakers - even if you just try it for a week, I really think it'll make a difference.
Afraid I can't confirm anything as regards legacy accounts and 21CN - the decisions haven't been made yet so there's nothing to tell at present, though as soon as we know rest assured we'll be publishing it. Likewise on the Annex M, though I'll check on that one for you too.
I'll get the SNR reset done for you now.

EDIT - you've been moved to ADSL1 on 21CN so we can't reset the SNR unfortunately, and you've not been assigned a banded profile either. I'll do some further checks and see if there is anything we can do. I've checked your line profile and it matches the 6500 that's set on BTs side.
nathan1111
Grafter

Basically Its like At the Start Having a BMW; im paying Insurance at a High premium, very high Price. Now Im waiting for my BMW to be serviced and assessed so that my Insurance Could possibly be paid Less and Also the Custom Engine be fitted with it, But That could be until Next Year December which at the same time I would still be paying a huge amount for my Monthly Insurance.
Now I could get The Mistubishi Eclipse with the Faster Engine right now; and have all the benefits that I would have (That I would get with my Current BMW but Sooner) And maybe more.
Hmm So unfortunately Reset Cant happen And Cant confirm anything about legacy and 21CN. I know its not your Fault Matt, as The whole company; or people who Plan out new Products; etc etc
Ive tried to be patient Also waiting for PlusNet to make an announcement, with regards to these services but I get the same answer that nothing can be confirmed as of yet;
Thing is, I dont know how long That is for me to be paying £31.31
For 8mb Just to wait for decisions made on these Legacy - 21CN Account which may in Turn actually not be beneficial to myself in the long run then again maybe.
Decisions Could be made at any time; From Tomorrow to next year (and I dont mean January Lol). Ive just become impatient I apologise. But Thank you for your help Matt, I do appreciate it  Kiss
I guess I gotta make that Call in the next hour  Sad
nathan1111
Grafter

Hi Matt, I was wondering if its Possible to acquire my Mac Key/Code via Request from a Ticket; as Unfortunately Unable to do this today as they told me to Call Cancellations which Opens till 5:30 :(.
Though Do NOT want to cancel my service; Just obtain the Key. Thank you
nathan1111
Grafter

My Speed is around 6Mb at the moment. Now I'm wondering As Matt said Ive  been moved to ADSL1 on 21Cn Profile.
Is that why on every other ISP site, they estimate that the Speed I will Get is the Same, or 3.5Mb *based on BT Data* even though before that used to be an Estimate of 14Mb.
Hmmm or is it Bt ? Anyway time to ring for the Mac Code.