cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6...

stewaw00

IPV6...

Hi

Just throwing my hat into the ‘Ou est la IPV6 a la Plusnet’ ring.

I came here from BT and whilst I can’t critisise the service for the price I’m afraid I won’t be renewing - solely due to the lack of intrinsic IPV6 support.

The world is moving on and it’s time you ‘got with the program’ lads/ladettes!

Wullie

Tags (1)
88 REPLIES 88
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: IPV6...

What is the lack of IPv6 support preventing you from doing?
stewaw00

Dispensing with the "pain the [-Censored-]" that is NAT for a few home office services for one.  Full access from home to all my employers infrastructure for another, without having to jump through the hoops of tunnels / VPN.

Of course these things can be worked around, but it's 2019 for <insert deity here> sake... it's not like the core network kit doesn't support it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That's business use, not typical home use.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

As @brownei asked - what does it STOP you going as opposed to doing the same differently?

NATs and VPNs have their place, specifically in providing secure inhibition of access unless explicitly permitted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flamingbadger
Dabbler

Although it isn't a deal breaker for me, it would be nice to see Plus moving forward with more modern features even it if is just to show they are a progressive ISP.  There doesn't appear to have been any move to support the faster fibre technologies or IPv6 despite trials.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Maybe it's not that Plusnet do not want to provide IPv6 but rather that their master's, BTplc, insist on keeping such restrictions in place on their budget ISP service to help justify the additional cost of BT Retail's offering.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have installed Nest Protect smoke alarms in my house, only to find that they require ipv6 to work reliably.  Admittedly I had to do quite a bit of research before finding out that was the problem so it's hard to know exactly who is to blame here, me for not thinking hard enough about ipv6 details before purchase or Google for not making enough of an pre-sales issue of it, or Plusnet/BT for not enabling it.  But it's costing me shedloads of wasted money Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Sounds like the product is not fit for purpose if it does not identify specific requirements.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I do have my doubts about the Google product family...  

coofercat
Hooked

Me too for IPv6 please.

Yes, I know that Facebook/Insta/Twitter/Google are on IPv4, and yes, I know that "nothing popular" is IPv6 only, and no, I don't have a "killer" use-case that can't be solved by jumping through some crazy hoops. But come on, it's the end of 2019, it's high time we had some IPv6.

I'm tech-savvy, I've got all the right equipment at home to make it work, I'm happy to agree to an "I won't bombard tech support with stupid questions about how to configure my router" type thing if there's an Early Adopters programme. I'll help out if I can to get this up and running - what do we need to do to make it happen?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you got a IPV6 router?

I don't understand why these devices don't use non-routable IPV4 DHCP addresses if they are designed for home wifi use.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Just noticed this on IPV6 in general and Plusnet in particular (no official update)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/update-on-ipv6-plans-for-virgin-media-talktalk-and-vod...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It begs the question how this is handled on Plusnet’s infrastructure, For example is there an IP address for every subscriber or does it work the same way as party line telephone services did years ago but with more subscribers having to share a fixed pool of addresses? If so then I guess that it’s time to grab a fixed address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If Plusnet wanted to use a pool of internal addresses, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx is available to them. 😁

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."