bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: IP addresses not uk

@carvell wrote:

188bet.co.uk:

Error 403: Location Forbidden
You are forbidden from accessing our website from your current location. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Sad

I'm sure this was working fine the other day, but not this morning.  Get that error when I go to Sports betting whilst logged in.

@carvell, 188bet have come back to me asking that you contact them directly (support-en@188bet.co.uk), providing a screen grab of the error and the following information (I've already provided them with the majority of this):

-  Username: 
-  Time the Error Occurred: 
-  Customer IP address (use www.whatismyip.com ): 
-  Customer Geographic Location (Which Country) 
-  Browser Version (IE6, Safari etc): 
-  OS platform (Mac, Window Vista, Window 7 etc):  
-  Internet Service Provider of the customer: 
-  Able to access www.google.com?: 
-  Provide print screen of error message: 
- Provide print screen of Tracert 188bet.com (go to run, type cmd, and type tracert 188bet.com once the command prompt is open): 
- URL of 188BET trying to access:   

I've replied advising that this is not necessary, however they might insist.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wkd500

Hi, please bear with me as I very rarely use forums so I hope I make sense Smiley

I came across this thread as I was searching for a solution why William Hill is no longer allowing me access saying "we have detected you are currently located in the united states". It's been like it the last 2 months. How is this best resolved? Also another site I use daily (the selfie lottery) also has me in the states.

The start of my IP is: 209.93.32.xxx

Any help or info is appreciated.

Davey7
Hooked

I'm also unable to access William Hill again.  This was fixed a few weeks ago, now it's broken again.

Have tried with IP address beginning 209.93.139* and 209.93.158*

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ScottStorey, any ideas?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

wkd500

No information or help with this? 

Should I just phone & complain or just change provider? I'm finding other sites that are directing me to their US stores. It's quite frustrating.

a_stew90
Hooked

Not sure if i am using this forum right, but any how. PlusNet when are you going to sort this out???? I'm very much in the UK. 

You can check your IP location here: http://viewdns.info/iplocation/

IP Location Results for 209.93.x.x
==============

City: El Segundo
Zip Code: 90245
Region Code: CA
Region Name: California
Country Code: US
Country Name: United States
Latitude: 33.9192
Longitude: -118.416
GMT Offset:
DST Offset:

a_stew90
Hooked

Just queued for over 3/4 hour on the PlusNet web chat who have advised that they are aware of this issue and this happened last month (yes i know, only a few days ago!). Anyway. The web chat agent advised to restart the equipment to which i responded I already have, (I did, honest!) They then advised that they want the BT NTU (the white fibre router that plugs into the wall socket) and the home router powered off for around 2 hours.

I will run through this later on this evening and report the findings, but the good news is they have also opened a technical case so I will also be following this up with the support desk once I have checked my external IP address after the router power down exercise. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@wkd500 wrote:

No information or help with this? 

Should I just phone & complain or just change provider? I'm finding other sites that are directing me to their US stores. It's quite frustrating.

Help with what exactly? William Hill? Regarding the other sites, we can't request they're 'fixed' if we don't know about them. What sites exactly are you having issues with? Ultimately it's the sites themselves that will need to make changes.

@a_stew90 wrote:

Not sure if i am using this forum right, but any how. PlusNet when are you going to sort this out????

Sort what out exactly? What are you having problems with? I'll contact that geolocation site and tell them to update their records, but the fact they're geolocating you incorrectly isn't a problem in itself.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

a_stew90
Hooked

The long shot is, The WAN IP address issued by my ISP (PLUSNET) for the past week that has been presenting my location as being within the US, has now been resolved! (at least for now).

PlusNet support advised that they are aware of the issue and had several reports of this recently. I hope the sysadmins can work out how to block the certain pool of IP addresses that are allocated to a different country from being issued to your routers but until then... I'm afraid a hard power down is required. Not just for your own router, but if you have the fibre NTU (The white BT Openreach Box) then this must also be switched off. I left mine for 4 hours and once it was turned back on my WAN IP was refreshed and showing as being located in London. No more re-directs to the US edition of amazon and now iPlayer etc works fine.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@a_stew90 wrote:
I hope the sysadmins can work out how to block the certain pool of IP addresses that are allocated to a different country from being issued to your routers but until then.

Not going to happen. The IP's belong to us, and the majority of the main/popular geolocation providers are correctly identifying their location as the UK. Any residual issues we'll address on a case by case basis.

Disconnecting/reconnecting may assign you a different IP from a different range but it's not guaranteed. Due to the way IP's are assigned on the new network there's a high chance you'll end up with the same IP again or another from the same range.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

a_stew90
Hooked

Thanks for the....input.

If it's not fixed long term, it's no problem, I'll just switch out of PlusNet.

-Until then, happy restarting everybody!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm still not sure what specifically you're having problems with? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

a_stew90
Hooked

Pretty much every website that has a store front or performs security checks on ones location.

Previous to my restart today which resolved the issue (for now), I had an IP address that appears to be part of a block that is allocated to the US. Here is the IP I had yesterday: 209.93.132.173

When visiting websites such as Amazon, or uk.crucial.com they route you through to the country who they think I actually need based on the location of the IP block. So, I connect to uk.crucial.com and they are me if i really do want to go to the UK site instead of the US site. Other more secure sites won't allow you to proceed at all such as the national lottery.

This causes more of a knock on affect when using streaming services. I was unable to stream from the BBC iPlayer yesterday as it thought I was outside of the UK. This was the same for using the ITV Hub as well. Of course, this also means I could access websites that were not intended for the UK such as Youtube Red which is a US only service. (https://www.youtube.com/red) If you click that in the UK it states that it's not available.

Now I have a different IP address, I can access Amazon, Crucial, iPlayer, BBC Hub and the lottery website without any issues at all. The restrictions have also returned when visiting YouTube Red. Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. If this happens again, I'd be interested to know exactly how the issue manifests itself and what IP you're assigned at the time.

Amazon, iPlayer and the ITV hub should all be working fine and I've personally had assurances from Camelot that they're treating the whole 209.93.0.0/16 as residing in the UK.

If that's not the case then we could do with getting back in touch with the necessary parties. It sounds like there may still be issues with certain subnets Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

frown
Dabbler

I'm still getting blocked on https://www.national-lottery.co.uk with my PlusNet assigned static IP of: 81.174.***.***

"It looks like you're outside the UK and Isle of Man" - Well, I'm not, I'm in England! 

Any chance of this IP range being checked?