Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

@njw165006 if you check your IP address using https://www.iplocation.net/ you will see that 4 out of 5 providers show your location as being in the UK, the only which doesn't is using data from nearly a month ago.

Pass that on to Paddy Power.

eta: I type too slow Grin

njw165006
Hooked

Saying all looks ok their end, could be bad weather causing IP issues..........

Advised me to try again over when weather improves over weekend and see if it works
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Are these people for real? IP address problems due to bad weather. Heard it all now ... or is some one having a laugh? You or someone at your expense?

Just what did they “look at”? Your IP address to see if their system treats it as being in the UK?

Anyone chasing issues such as this needs to ask the supplier to verify that their system treats the specific IP address as being in the UK. Generic questions will get the “it all looks ok to us, no one else is complaining”.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davidspeers
Dabbler

I won't have the chance to respond any further to Totesport until this evening and haven't addressed the IP issue with them yet(pardon the pun), but I have already had the "no one else is complaining" line!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Geolocation usage by some websites is a bit like relying on your SatNav but never doing the updates? Cheesy Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

njw165006
Hooked

So to dumb it down a bit if you will, what should I be asking/telling Paddy Power for them to acknowledge it as their problem?

*edited - obviously meant Paddy Power not Plusnet..........
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Try something along the lines of...

My IP address A.B.C.D is located in the UK - where does your system (incorrectly) believe it is?

Who do you use for geolocation data?

When did you last refresh that data?

What are you going to do to rectify your use of incorrect data?

Davidspeers
Dabbler

That will be very helpful for me as well.

Thanks

njw165006
Hooked

Cheers for your assistance! It’s now been passed onto Paddy Power IT rather than a customer services monkey, awaiting their response!
Think the guy crapped himself when I put your questions to him....... 🤣
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

This problem has been on going for 2 years to my knowledge, with no end in sight. Roll_eyes

IMO the only solution is to purchase a static IP address from Plusnet -- one off fee of £5.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yea, most people do that in response to carefully crafted informed questions.  Leave no hiding places, take no prisoners. Cheesy

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@npr,

It is getting better.  The first step is education and getting ownership of the issue in the right place - those who choose to offer geography restricted services not doing so based on correct up to date information.

Fixed IP addresses are only an interim solution, which ought not to be used unless there is a very good reason for needing a fixed IP address ... the pool of them is limited ... which is why the pre-owned ARIN registered addresses have been required.

Davidspeers
Dabbler

@Browni wrote:

@njw165006 if you check your IP address using https://www.iplocation.net/ you will see that 4 out of 5 providers show your location as being in the UK, the only which doesn't is using data from nearly a month ago.

Pass that on to Paddy Power.

eta: I type too slow Grin

This site shows my location as being in the UK for 3 of the 5, but Not Available for the other 2. 

Is it safe to quote my full IP address in my next email to Totesport?

Thanks

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

No problem giving your IP address to support people, they'll need it to investigate.

Davidspeers
Dabbler

Thanks Browni