cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

veloman
Grafter

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

The post I found useful was titled disabling/enabling DCPH by Matthew Wheeler. I found it at the top of the list in the broadband section of the forum. Hope that helps.

veloman
Grafter

Sorry, I've just switched off my router and on turning it on again and I am now living in Segundo California again instead of in the UK. I don't think this problem is entirely down to PN as I understand it but they should be sorting it with the geo location people as it is obviously causing PN customers a big problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Altering router settings, messing with DHCP has no relevance to this issue. The issue relates to the allocation of a dynamic IP address in the 146 groups.

Users cannot influence the allocation of the external IP address.

The issue arises from some geolocation data providers giving out incorrect information from the same information source as used by those who get it right. Given that the data source has the right information to enable correct geolocation, one has to conclude that those getting it wrong are the failing party.

Note switching routers off and on is not wise practise - they are better left on. It stresses the electronics less and does not lead the DLM to incorrectly believe the line is unstable, leading to speed restrictions being applied.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

If you Google the geolocation issue, you'll discover that the basic problem is not unique to Plusnet or even the UK.  The problem becomes more aggravated when the difference indicates different countries.  And it isn't going to get any better with IPv6 - yet?

Check out this paper for an interesting read  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kcjones

Hi

I have the same problem. My IP shows as:

Broadband network IP address: 146.200.79.242   Default gateway: 172.16.16.10   Primary DNS: 213.120.234.42   Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.38 IP: 146.200.79.242 Decimal: 2462601202 Hostname: 242.79.200.146.dyn.plus.net ASN: 6871 ISP: Plusnet plc. Organization: Plusnet plc. Services: None detected Type: Broadband Assignment: Static IP Blacklist:   Continent: North America Country: United States State/Region: California City: El Segundo Latitude: 33.9164  (33° 54′ 59.04″ N) Longitude: -118.4041  (118° 24′ 14.76″ W) Postal Code: 90245

Can you fix it please PLUSNET

Ta

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Unfortunately as noted above, this is not really in PlusNet's remit (ability?) to fix.  The bottom line is that some geolocation data providers are getting it plain wrong whilst others are getting it right from the SAME source data.

Try doing a geolocation look up here - www.ipfingerprints.com/ - you will find that it reports UK.

The problem is a mixture of some geolocation data providers getting it wrong and UK consumers of geolocation data choosing the wrong suppliers.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Or using the correct supplier but not getting updates!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Chase status

I have asked if it is possible to ascertain how / why some geolocation data providers are managing to obtain the wrong answer whilst others deliver the correct answer all from the same data.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think geolocation providers use more sources of data than the IP address registration details, and not all IP addresses within the various 146.x.x.x Plusnet ranges are problematic. Some parts of those ranges have been in use by Plusnet for longer, and the geolocation is probably tracking them down to towns and cities in the UK.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Just entering the IP 146.200.79.242 at https://www.iplocation.net/
This site gives the result from a number of geolocation providers - only MaxMind showed the IP to be located in the USA the others show the correct location or "not available".

So I tried the same IP at MaxMinds own site: https://www.maxmind.com
This showed the IP to be located at Sheffield, England.

If a web site in the geolocation business can't use a up-to-date data base what hope is there of other sites getting it right.

jcyclops

I was assigned an IP in the 146.200. series and two of the 5 main Geolocation providers thought I was in El Segundo. It meant certain UK websites either blocked me or redirected me to their US sites. Advice from PN call centre was to switch my router off for 65 minutes (!) , switch it back on and I "should" be assigned a UK IP address. This would leave the possibility in the future of getting a US IP again if I lost power or reset my router etc. I opted instead for a fixed IP instead of a dynamic IP at a one-off cost of £5. I had to switch my router off for 10 minutes and on restart I have an IP in the 80.229 series, and will always have this same address. The websites that were blocking me are now OK.

p0mme
Dabbler

It seems ridiculous a broadband supplier can't rectify this issue, no mater where it stems from. 146.xxx have sometimes been problematic, but 146.200... is just ridiculous. The 146.200... have only recently appeared for me, and they're blocking me from some website offers, changing currencies in some shops to US$ (which it won't always let me simply change to £!), and setting default shipping countries as Taiwan!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@p0mme wrote:

It seems ridiculous a broadband supplier can't rectify this issue, no mater where it stems from.

Which bit of "This problem arises from those geolocation data providers which report differently from the same information source" do you not understand?  How do you expect any ISP to alter the information processing practices of other organisations?

Such organisations have been advised that they are getting it wrong.  We have seen the issue mitigated for a while ... only to have it return.  Bottom line here is that IPv4 addresses are in short supply; its a matter of get them from where one can and then hang on to them, ensuring that the ownership information is correct.  Thereafter it is entirely in the hands of the geolocation data processors.  See the links in the many posts above - same IP address, different IP location data providers, different results for both location and ISP owner (BT or Plusnet).  This is NOT an ISP issue.

An alternative approach to resolving this is to complain to the consumers of geolocation data who are not providing service to what are clearly UK located IP addresses.  After all it is they who are losing the commercial business ... so go make it their issue, then may be they, being the paying customer of the geolocation data providers, might use their purchasing power to effect change.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think the problem is it is more of a case of managers of people who design websites, enforce these silly rule on the developers.

They probably don't know how the internet actually works, and think that blocking certain IP ranges which the Geolocation services is a 100% science.

Of course it isn't.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

IP address not showing as UK - it is showing up as US

The survey company is 'Panel Opinion' 

I've said "Internet provider in PlusNet and my IP address is 146.199.xxx.xxx"

Panel Opinion state

"Please find below the IP address that is showing on our system:
2018-02-03 16:16:26 146.199.xxx.xxx United States
I hope that helps resolve the problem with your internet provider."

What can we do, I've missed out of better part of £10 in surveys over the last few weeks because of this issue

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full IP address removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).