cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

vandervagos
Hooked

Re: Can you get moved from 146 range on request ?

I enabled the static IP as I had similar issues with the dynamic and I have got an IP starting with 85 I think.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Tempting,

No a static IP comes from the core IP range. My observation was simply to illustrate that IP geo-liaction is not an exact science. Its variability can have little to do with the IP owner and an aweful lot to do with the data provider and consumer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arspin

i'm on the 146.199 range and some sites think i'm in USA now, one way i found on my old technicolor is to change the MAC or HW address and that seems to force a new ip address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{admin}=>ip
{admin}[ip]=>ifconfig
intf = Internet
[mtu] =
[hwaddr] = some random MAC address from google

saveall

system reboot

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have these IP addresses changed to being sticky?

When I last had a dynamic IP, you just needed to renew the PPP connection to get a different IP.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you are on the new network, IP addresses are assigned 'locally' out of a smaller pool and consequently you might see an address sticking.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

Am I right in thinking static IP's are on the old network?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Nigel,

That's linked to a question I have just asked elsewhere for which I got the response "I'm not sure who is / is not connected to the new network".  Certainly in the early days of the 'new' network it was declared that fixed IPs would not be moving "yet" and I have not heard anything which suggests this has changed.

In answer to the question asked elsewhere, I was advised that the PN Profile (Current Speed) does still have influence on fixed IP users ... which if placed against an answer given elsewhere (to a different question) "The PN Profile (Current Speed) has zero effect on users on the 'new' network" ... one might infer an answer to your question ... but it would only be conjecture! Undecided

@bobpullen or @Kelly - would either of you be able to enlighten us please?  Are fixed IP and 20CN users on the 'new' network yet? (or indeed ever likely to be)

Kelly
Hero

I think the question you are asking is if you opt for a static IP, you get it from our older ranges which have always been UK registered so don't run into this issue.    TO allow us to assign those IPs, we terminate your connection on our older network kit.  Does that answer it?

We're trying to tighten up our internal processes to minimise the disruption for people who end up with an address where the geolocation providers have gone rogue... (we've seen the same provider change some addresses from UK to USA which really isn't helpful!)

@arspin Do you know what the IP address you had was so we can check?

@Tempting are you still seeing the problem?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
williamsth
Hooked

I’m getting an Infonet IP in the following range at the moment:

Range: 146.199.0.0-146.199.255.255Org: INFONET Services CorporationOrg Handle: INFOAddress: 2160 East Grand Avenue
City: El SegundoState/Province: CAPostal Code: 90245-1022Country: UNITED STATES

Still registered to the US by the looks of it. Iplocation.net shows the country as being correct (UK) on most databases (despite them showing Infonet), but MaxMind GeoLiteCity is showing the range as US. I access a service which allows UK traffic only so my traffic is firewalled to these services currently and causing me a bit of a headache.

There is a page to dispute the Geo location on MaxMinds website but not owning this IP block, I don’t want to cause more damage and would request the amendments are done by PlusNet - that said, I suppose it doesn’t help the WHOIS is showing incorrect details.

Edit: IP is also sticky so actually can’t access my UK only services right now Sad
Tempting
Grafter

I paid the small fee for a static IP address and have not had any problems since. For the cost I would definitely recommend going down this route.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@williamsth, Maxmind should be seeing that range as UK-based for geo-location. It's been in use a while now Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

williamsth
Hooked

@bobpullen I’ve contacted someone on their live chat and they have advised their paid databases are showing UK Cardiff for my IP, which would be correct. The free one is showing US though. They’ve told me to submit a change request which will take a month for the free databases which I’ll do now for 146.199.0.0/16 - I presume the whole lot isn’t Cardiff but I’ll advise them the whole range should at least be UK? Correct me if I’m wrong - I’ll hang fire for now
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, the complete 146.199.0.0/16 range is used by Plusnet only in the UK. London is a good city for geo location use, it's where our connections head out onto the Internet.

David
williamsth
Hooked

Ok. I’ve gone ahead and requested the amendment. They did say it could take a month though due to it being their free database
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Geolocation is driven entirely by geo-location tables.

These tables are freely available, but how accurate they are depends on how careful the table creators are, and where their data comes from. Typically, the free ones from a ££ provider are just as correct as the ££ ones, just not quite as accurate (eg may only give county). That doesn't mean that the ££ ones ARE actually correct Smiley

Whilst I am in Winchester, a look at www.iplocation.net/ puts me in Flaunden, Collingdale, Sheffield or Cirencester, and I am with either Plusnet or BT... that's how good they are (not)!

On top of all that, you have to ask what version of which Geo Table a particular website is using. A good website will do a daily update, a not-so-good one is probably still using the same one they installed ages ago.