cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

coachdriver
Grafter

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

I tried to order a product yesterday which was refused due to website stating that the product was not available in my region. After chatting to the web developer he suggested the Geo Location checks of my IP address. I then used a mobile connection which worked.
After checking with http://www.whereisip.net/ I found I had an IP address of 146.199.87.* which was being reported as in California, USA.
After a reboot of the router it was a different range (can't remember but was in the UK).
This morning it has reverted back to 146.198.12.* and again reported as being in California, USA.
Why am I getting an IP address that is deemed to be in the US ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: alanscoachdriver
Why am I getting an IP address that is deemed to be in the US ?

This is explained in previous posts in this thread. In short, it's because the IP's belong to ARIN, who are the Internet registry for the United States. No process currently exists to transfer IP's from ARIN to the UK equivalent, RIPE.
If you can provide more information about the website you were using then I'll happily get in touch with them and try and persuade them to make the necessary changes to their geo-location logic.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

coachdriver
Grafter

I was using the site https://cycliq.com/
I have just gone back to it now and even with a 146 address it is now working OK.
So they may have made an update since yesterday when I reported the problem to them.
Thanks
Tim
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My current IP addy:
IP Address  146.199.xxx.xx  Area Code  020
Country Code  GB  IDD Code  44
Country Name  United Kingdom United Kingdom  Time Zone  +01:00
Region  England  ISP  Infonet Services Corporation
City  London  Domain  bt.com
Report Error Report Incorrect Location  Connection Type  DSL
Coordinates  Google Map 51°30'31"N  -0°7'33"W  Weather Station Code  UKXX0085
Postal Code  WC2N 5RJ  Weather Station Name  London
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to say where you are getting that from!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: JayG
Region   England  ISP   Infonet Services Corporation

The fact that your IP is registered to Infonet is is not a problem. As can be seen from the other information you've posted, the IP is correctly geo-located in the UK and that's all that should matter.
If you're having problems with a particular site or service, then shout up and I'll look into it. Otherwise, what you're reporting isn't an issue.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: JayG
Region   England  ISP   Infonet Services Corporation

The fact that your IP is registered to Infonet is is not a problem. As can be seen from the other information you've posted, the IP is correctly geo-located in the UK and that's all that should matter.
If you're having problems with a particular site or service, then shout up and I'll look into it. Otherwise, what you're reporting isn't an issue.

Didn't actually say it was an issue - only reported it to add to the pool of information in case it was of any interest.
(After 7 unrequested resyncs since lunchtime today it's probably no longer my IP addy anyway!  ::))
u123935

Just been having same problem that UK websites won't respond to my queries (e.g. Swinton and others) as they think I'm in the US of A. My ip address is 192.168.1.126. Could someone tell me how to fix this so I can get on with normal business? It looks like this has happened over the last couple of days.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't your IP address - try this http://whatismyipaddress.com/ but only post the first 9 digits
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: u123935
Just been having same problem that UK websites won't respond to my queries (e.g. Swinton and others) as they think I'm in the US of A.

What other websites?
I've replicated the Swinton issue (attached) and will get in touch with them and ask them to update their geo-location data.
In the interim, you can probably work round the problem by disconnecting/reconnecting so you're assigned a new IP address.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

u123935

Thanks Bob. The ip address using the suggested site is 146.200.12.xxx I'll restart my router and see what happens.
dick:green Full IP address edited.
u123935

After switching off/on the router, the ip address is 46.208.135.xxx, and can now access Swinton ok. Will see of other insurance sites now ok.
Dick:green Full IP address edited.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
I've replicated the Swinton issue (attached) and will get in touch with them and ask them to update their geo-location data.

The Swinton website should be sorted now. Kudos where it's due for them turning things round so quickly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

SE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pipex
Plusnet in there wisdom are now allocating US ip addresses this caused me big problems as when applying for credit cards or bank accounts were refused because of security checks identifying IP address as not UK based ie possible fraud. found this out by cunard web site which kept switching from co.uk to .com . after extensive checks and numerous phone calls including a visit from IT expert found it was on a US ip address. We also found out that plusnet has purchased a number of these from the US . Because I guess they have run out of UK IP addresses.  Pity they don't think of the implications of there action. Huh is this legal as american web rules are different from UK?Huh
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  title changed to make it more obvious ]

Hi I've had two in the past two days and its messed all sorts of things. THANK YOU PN
146.199.106.43 You are in El Segundo
How silly of pn to do this
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

What issues are you seeing with them, any specific sites?
How silly of pn to do this

Unfortunately due to the number of IPv4 addresses running low there wasn't much of an option to get more IPv4 addresses.
If you let us know what you're having issues with we can probably help.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.