Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Using OpenDNS is not going to change the IP address that is presented to a website.
matthews
Rising Star

Hi KevinG, I'm aware of that but it could present a different address for my lookup. Eg if the BBC have a domain called (for example) isintheuk.bbc.co.uk they could make that resolve to different addresses depending on which DNS server asked for it. Eg if I visit Microsoft's Channel9 website I get taken to the US version normally because that's where the DNS resolution took place.
KevinG
Rising Star

That sounds rather naughty to me. Are you saying that the authoritative name server will return a different IP address depending on the IP address of the DNS server the request came from? Is that even allowed? As for the Microsoft Channel 9 site, I can only find one version of it.
matthews
Rising Star

It's a very crude form of geographic load balancing usually. Someone has written about their own experiences of it here: http://joemaller.com/2577/itunes-slowdowns-with-google-dns/.
There are other methods now (such as anycast routing) which are becoming more common to make this less of an issue, but it still happens occasionally.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Interesting! This would explain why, when I rebooted my router a few days ago and ran a speedtest.net (ookla) check, it displayed a 146 infonet IPA.
Have just rebooted again and am happier to see a 37 plusnet addy.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Did you have any issues when you saw the 146. IP address?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Yes, but I don't now believe they were related.
Spoke to your guys and am hoping matters have now been resolved by Jordan (watch this space).
The 146 biz just added a further level of confusion for my addled brain to cope with!
matthews
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Very peculiar. You're assigned an IP in the same range as one of my long-established Plusnet accounts and I've never had problems before Huh
Let us know if the problems continue and I'll check from my own line when I get the opportunity.

Did you get chance to check this? Still no luck from the BBC. Have raised a case with them basically saying that they can refund my licence fee if it's not fixed by the end of the week as there's no signal through my rooftop aerial so TV over IP is all I've got!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'll see if I can try later from a test line in the office.
BBC use Neustar for geo-location so you might want to try reaching out to them too.
I really would be surprised if Neustar were geo-locating your IP incorrectly though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

matthews
Rising Star

BBC have got back to me, and turns out it was inadvertently my fault! I'd been playing around with Tor and had configured it as a middle relay (not an exit relay). Because of that it appears on a list of registered tor servers. Once they'd checked that it wasn't an exit relay they were happy to re-instate my IP address.
FrancisDonnelly

I have issues yesterday and today. Sky go will not connect on our devices. If we try 3g or try from work wheres theres another ISP no problems. I am sure it said at some point somewhere my ISP was another name. I have tried disconnecting the reuter a few times
AndyH
Grafter

Sky Go have general issues:
On Demand and Live Issues
We are aware that some on demand and live content is currently unavailable. We have the right people working to fix the problem and hope to have it resolved soon. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Date reported: 12th January, 14:05

There are also connection issues and issues with the geolocation (even for Sky Fibre customers).
nokiboi39
Grafter

Whilst I have not had any major issues with the newer range of IP address it has caused problems when surfing in that my location is often seen as in the US currently I am 146.199.180.xx
Using the website http://www.iplocation.net/ it shows as one of the offending sources so to speak as being https://www.db-ip.com/ .  Whilst the likes of the following locate the IP as being Infonet in the UK, 3 as being in Sheffield and 1 in London
http://www.ipligence.com/
http://www.ipaddresslabs.com
https://www.maxmind.com
I have emailed DB-IP.Com to advise of the incorrect data but in reality shouldnt this be something that Plusnet be doing ?
Cheers
AndyH
Grafter

Bob has already contacted DB-IP - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130918.msg1158165.html#msg1158165
It's really the responsibility of the geolocation companies to make sure their information is up-to-date. With the shortage of IPv4 addresses, blocks of IPs are probably changing hands between companies etc.
Plusnet have contacted most of the main geolocation companies to ask them to update their data. If they don't update, there isn't much else Plusnet can do.
If you are having issues, you should find a disconnect/reconnect puts you on a different IP range with no issues.
nbk
Grafter

I was just trying to make an online payment...
It had an error...odd I though, tried again...nope, rejected.
I load my laptop up and connect to BT wifi and message from the bank checking system saying they need to contact me in case this is fraudulent.
I have a strong feeling it's because of my IP being an infonet IP which has really messed things up a bit here...