Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

It looks like they have a few different Geo IP lists.
A a lookup on their site uses their 'GeoIP2 Precision' list, however the image you've shared suggests it's their free 'GeoLite2 City' list that's in use.
This is somewhat irrelevant though, because I've extracted the necessary info form the GeoLite2 City list and get this:
network_start_ip,network_prefix_length,geoname_id,registered_country_geoname_id,represented_country_geoname_id,postal_code,latitude,longitude,is_anonymous_proxy,is_satellite_provider
::ffff:146.200.0.0,112,2638077,6252001,,,53.3667,-1.5000,0,0

The 'geoname_id' field maps to:
2638077,EU,Europe,GB,United Kingdom,SHF,Sheffield,Sheffield,Europe/London

So both lists show the 146.200.0.0/16 block to be located in the UK. The 'registered_country_geoname_id' field is still set to the states but this shouldn't be used for geo-location as it's perfectly feasible to register a block of IP's in one country for use in another.
I'm not sure where the image you've posted has come from but the evidence points to the site using a dated Geo IP list from Maxmind.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyH
Grafter

I've found it on http://www.iplocation.net/ which says it uses the 'GeoIP Javascript from MaxMind'. When you go to the Maxmind website, it comes up with 'GeoIP2 JavaScript Client API' http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/javascript/
I see what you're saying about the database - I downloaded them from http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/#Databases and found the same as you've posted:
::ffff:146.199.0.0,112,2638077,6252001,,,53.3667,-1.5000,0,0
::ffff:146.200.0.0,112,2638077,6252001,,,53.3667,-1.5000,0,0

It looks like it must be an out-of-date script/database being used by IP Location.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like Maxmind have some legacy lists. I wonder if they've a legacy Javascript API too? From what I can ascertain, the current Javascript API references the Geo IP lists we've both checked so should be returning the correct location information.
iplocation.net seems to be calling:
//j.maxmind.com/app/geoip.js

Whereas the guidance on Maxmind's site suggests using:
//js.maxmind.com/js/apis/geoip2/v2.1/geoip2.js

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It's not a Plusnet-specific issue,
Seethelight FTTP also use US IP addresses which have caused problems & which were flagged up mainly by users who couldn't log into the National Lottery website.
I use a VPN provider & tend to use the UK server which gives me a constant UK IP address.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The National Lottery site should be fine using the Plusnet ARIN IP's (although there were some problems to begin with).
FWIW, I contacted iplocation.net and Maxmind but never lheard back from them.
Having said that:

All looks OK now Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

skydemon
Grafter

Unable to log into national lottery site
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim) full IP address noted for staff ]
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That IP's not even from one of our recently introduced blocks Huh
AFAIK, the National Lottery use Neustar for geo-location and Neustar correctly consider 80.189.0.0/16 to be UK-based.
I've dropped the National Lottery a message asking them to take a look.
Edit: reply as follows:
[quote author="The National Lottery]Dear Mr Pullen
Thank you for your email dated 22 September 2014 regarding Geo Location.
I can confirm that the system we use is seeing the IP as a UK address.  Please note that we would also prevent access if we detected a proxy server being used or an anonomiser as being associated with the IP address in the recent past.
Yours sincerely
[REDACTED]
National Lottery Customer Care Team

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

skydemon
Grafter

Ok thanks I rebooted my router to change it in the end didn't want to because of speed drop which it did . I wasn't behind a proxy as the picture I uploaded shows , all sorted now so thanks ...thought that I would report it just in case anyone else was having problems.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: skydemon
Ok thanks I rebooted my router to change it in the end didn't want to because of speed drop which it did .

For future reference, you needn't reboot the router. All you need to do is log into the router interface and disconnect/reconnect from there. Doing things that way won't affect your line rate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

probedb
Rising Star

I've just had this issue too. Dropbox are showing my IP as in the USA and I've been unable to use an online retailer because my IP is showing as the US but I have a UK address.
I can properly check the IP when I get home but pretty sure it's the 146.200 range and typing that into google says it's in the USA 😕
Should I just try a disconnect/reconnect?
I opened a thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=132539.new;topicseen#new which can be closed if required.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: probedb
I've just had this issue too. Dropbox are showing my IP as in the USA and I've been unable to use an online retailer because my IP is showing as the US but I have a UK address.

Is the Dropbox thing causing you any problems? Where is it saying you're IP is US-based? Here?

Which online retailer?
I can properly check the IP when I get home but pretty sure it's the 146.200 range...

It is.
...and typing that into google says it's in the USA 😕

What exactly is telling you it's in the US? The IP's are registered to an address in the states, however they're assigned to namespace in the UK.
Should I just try a disconnect/reconnect?

If you want a quick fix then that will probably do the trick, yes. As long as you're not assigned another IP from the same range when you reconnect.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

probedb
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Is the Dropbox thing causing you any problems? Where is it saying you're IP is US-based? Here?

It is, they're listed as from the USA. Not causing any issues for me personally, but I guess it could cause problems for people buying goods or anything security related using your IP address that shows it as the US.
Which online retailer?

I'll see if I can find it as I just went elsewhere.
What exactly is telling you it's in the US? The IP's are registered to an address in the states, however they're assigned to namespace in the UK.

If you just put the IP into google, all the links tell you it's from the US.
However whatismyip shows it as London, UK.
I'll try the disconnect/reconnect thing and see what I get.
Cheers!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

3 of the first 5 listings on Google report that the IP is affiliated with an address in the States, two correctly return Sheffield though. Just to re-iterate, the IP block is still registered to an address in the States so if a site is looking up the *owner* of the IP, rather than the geolocation, then I fully expect it to return an address in the US.
I've reached out to Dropbox to ask that they update the database they're using for geolocation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

probedb
Rising Star

3 of the first 5 listings on Google report that the IP is affiliated with an address in the States, two correctly return Sheffield though. Just to re-iterate, the IP block is still registered to an address in the States so if a site is looking up the *owner* of the IP, rather than the geolocation, then I fully expect it to return an address in the US.
I've reached out to Dropbox to ask that they update the database they're using for geolocation.

Many thanks, if I come across a site with the issue I'll try and get them to update. For example, this is the first one on google....
https://db-ip.com/146.200.12.162
and shows the US.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Reported that one myself earlier today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team