Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

avatastic
Grafter

Re: IP addresses not uk

Quote from: Bob
The introduction of these IP's are nothing to do with cost-cutting BTW Roll_eyes

Nope, it's to do with dodging the IPv6 train for another 12 months!  Crazy
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: avatastic
The introduction of these IP's are nothing to do with cost-cutting BTW Roll_eyes

Nope, it's to do with dodging the IPv6 train for another 12 months!  Crazy

Lips_are_sealed Tongue
After a bit of digging, it transpires that it's not particularly straight forward for us to get those Whois details updated. Without going into too much detail, it's all down to where the IP's came from. The detectives amongst you might be able to guess based on some of the email addresses in the Whois output Wink
We'll give the appropriate people a nudge, however it shouldn't have too much of an influence on geo-location. Whois data is not a reliable source of IP location. As mentioned previously, most of the main geo-location providers in the UK have updated their databases. Sites still presenting problems either haven't refreshed their location data for a while or are using a geo-location database that we've overlooked.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Bob,
I do hope that does not mean fruitless phone calls with an off shore call centre for you!  Cheesy
<cynic>Guess that's what happens when you bum a few spare IP addresses from a known to be problematic supplier!</cynic>.  Grin Shocked Roll_eyes
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pipex

I think the problem is plusnet is expanding quicker than the infrastructure. The cost implication for the giveaway prices advertised on tv will without a doubt affect Service and quality. I think there reaching the point of meltdown maybe they need to read there management books again, they are struggling and it is obvious and other providers will benefit from there marketing dept pushing for sales. They need to slow down and build the infrastructure support etc . then move to the next level otherwise , it will collapse like a pack of cards. Seen it time and time again they never learn.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can assure you that our broadband infrastructure is not in jeopardy. We've planned/forecast its expansion accordingly.
Take bandwidth for example.
In the last 12 months, we have more than doubled our network capacity and in the next 12 months, we'll increase it by more than half again. When iOS8 is released in autumn, we'll be adding more bandwidth for this one event than we did for the whole of  2012 (Olympics included) and the first half of 2013.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I can assure you that our broadband infrastructure is not in jeopardy. We've planned/forecast its expansion accordingly.

If only that was the same when it comes to customer support
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

@ Bob
Thanks, I'm not sure where I got the 146.198.0.0/16 range from to be honest.
I appreciate what you're saying about the geo-location providers, but there are providers (perhaps international that you don't know about) that are still picking up this as a USA IP. Someone mentioned that Dropbox was picking up a USA location and now the issue for Pipex applying for credit. I suppose without knowing who they are using for their geolocation, it's not possible to get them to update the correct address location.
On the issues in changing the registration details, can't Plusnet have the range transferred across to RIPE (where I assume you would have more control)?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: AndyH
I suppose without knowing who they are using for their geolocation, it's not possible to get them to update the correct address location.

Indeed, but we can try and find out as we identify them.
On the issues in changing the registration details, can't Plusnet have the range transferred across to RIPE (where I assume you would have more control)?

I suspect this is what's going to happen but it might take a bit of time. The ranges assigned to us are only part of the picture Wink
In the meantime, we'd appreciate it if people could help us identify any problematic sites as they come across them. Our support folks are on the lookout too, however we've had few, if any, reports of late.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

I have made this a sticky and changed the title to make it more obvious
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Jim Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pipex

Is your IP range 146.198.0.0 - 146.198.255.255 (you can check here http://www.whatismyip.com)?

Hello, I am the Engineer who looked into this issue for the user yesterday. The issue was that he was being redirected on a lot of websites to the US site, which at first I believed to be a DNS related issue after a lot of investigation I found that the IPV4 address plusnet had provided was registered in the US and this was causing the user to be redirected from the UK Sites to US which obviously caused a lot of frustration.
The IP Address the user was on yesterday was 146.200.183.14 which if you look on http://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/87.113.55.177 you can see that its registered in ARIN and is a US Based IP Address. I restarted the router which allocated a British IP address to the user once the router reconnected to the Plusnet servers.
pipex

ok take on carnival corporation , there website cunard.co.uk  is one of the sites. amazingly they say its the ip providers responsibility as they have us and uk sites and its important to these dual companies websites to geo locate.
Razer
Grafter

Now I have experienced 'problems' with a website seeming to think I was somewhere else. Not drastically important because it is Youtube, but it's been going on intermittently for many months. First it seemed to think I was in India because it kept suggesting Hindi videos. More lately it kept suggesting German and or Dutch videos (I do believe I may have been on one of those 146 IP addresses by the way), and then it seemed to think I was either in Spain or Portugal by repeatedly showing my videos from one or both of those countries. It's ok at the moment because I refreshed my connection a couple of days ago (now it's back to English language, albeit often nothing newer than two days or one week old). Didn't keep a track of exactly what other IP addresses I had and when, so can't report exactly. Now this had been posted, I will in future - hitherto I had just put it down to YT incompetence.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: pipex
The IP Address the user was on yesterday was 146.200.183.14 which if you look on http://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/87.113.55.177 you can see that its registered in ARIN and is a US Based IP Address. I restarted the router which allocated a British IP address to the user once the router reconnected to the Plusnet servers.

As mentioned previously, using whois data for geo-location is fairly shoddy and the majority of the big players won't be doing this. In order to investigate any sites falling foul of the ARIN assignment we need the following info:
If you encounter any problematic sites then we could do with knowing about them. We'd need to know the address of the site you're trying to access, the IP you're assigned and the gateway you're connected to.

Quote from: pipex
ok take on carnival corporation , there website cunard.co.uk  is one of the sites. amazingly they say its the ip providers responsibility as they have us and uk sites and its important to these dual companies websites to geo locate.

What am I looking for on that website and what steps would I need to take to replicate the problem. Did they tell you what geo-location service they're using?
Quote from: Razer
Now I have experienced 'problems' with a website seeming to think I was somewhere else. Not drastically important because it is Youtube, but it's been going on intermittently for many months.

The ARIN IP's were introduced in April I believe. Any problems prior to this will be unrelated. If YouTube were causing issues I'd have thought we'd be inundated though (and we're not).
First it seemed to think I was in India because it kept suggesting Hindi videos. More lately it kept suggesting German and or Dutch videos (I do believe I may have been on one of those 146 IP addresses by the way), and then it seemed to think I was either in Spain or Portugal by repeatedly showing my videos from one or both of those countries.

If that's anything to do with the ARIN IP range then logically YouTube would only ever see you as being state-side or based in the UK Huh
Didn't keep a track of exactly what other IP addresses I had and when, so can't report exactly. Now this had been posted, I will in future - hitherto I had just put it down to YT incompetence.

OK, shout up if you encounter any further difficulties.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

AndyH
Grafter

I've found one (I think):
Maxmind - https://www.maxmind.com/en/home

Edit: When you put the IP in the Maxmind website, it comes back fine as Plusnet, Sheffield. So I'm not sure if it's the case that other websites need to update their databases or if Maxmind have multiple databases to update.