cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wan't out, try and change my mind, I dare you!!!!!

xhippy01
Hooked

I wan't out, try and change my mind, I dare you!!!!!

You know I'm feed up with creating tickets due to poor speeds and the regular connection 'waste of time' check.  I get speeds of around 316Kbps Down and 365Kbps, totally sucks!!!!  I get dropped out connections mosts Saturdays (incidentially, if you connect to Plusnet when your BB is down via another way such as mobile BB, and raise a ticket, your BB will strangly rectify itself!!!!!!!)
As PN is owned by BT can't you do something about our poor connections, seems the whole forum is dictated by the subject.  I mean, I live in a new housing estate, and If I'd known how [mremoved] my connection was going to be I wouldn't have moved here.
The only reason I'm with PN is I'm on a Monthly contract (easy bin-able when speeds pick up and better ISP Sad (although there are many out there already Embarrassed (oh what a'm I doing with you guys! :o)))
You know I have IPhone 3G, and I have to turn my network off, as I get faster speeds on 3G.  I can't use my 360 online due to [removed] BB, totally hacked off with [mremoved] BB.
Rant Over, off to buy some racing pidgeons for a better high speed BB,  Going to use them for transporting my emails about, much quicker i've heard Cry Cry Cry Cry
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Attempt to avoid swear filter removed as per forum rules.
18 REPLIES 18
xhippy01
Hooked

Re: I wan't out, try and change my mind, I dare you!!!!!

Me again
I just have to add:
I can't stream anything without going to make a cuppa first.
I can't use webcams due to [mremoved] connection
All this is really making my online life a pile of [mremoved].
Just think, Go back to when dialup was about and you would be where I am, gutted!!!!!
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Attempt to avoid swear filter removed as per forum rules.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Understand your frustrations xhippy01 but please moderate your language.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you'd like to calm down a bit, there's a number of experienced fellow users on these forums who have had many successes in assisting with getting peoples problems sorted out and speeds improved.
If you want to give this a go, please could you give us some information to start from:
  • The output from a BT speedtest
  • What https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate says for your current line speed
  • The statistics from your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin)
  • A description of your setup (how many telephone extensions you have, where the router is plugged in, where filters are located, details of telephones, DECT phones and any other equipment such as Sky boxes plugged in to any extension)
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    David_W
    Rising Star

You say you have moved to a new housing estate (I have too recently) but have you moved further away from the exchange?  Are you experiencing noise on the line (I had that, BT came out 3 times before they finally fixed it).
    If you go to here and put in the required details, click BT ADSL it will give you information on your line, mine says:
    "According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 7Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max. "
    So that will give a rough idea of your expected line speeds.  As well as the other stuff posted in this thread too.
    pies
    Grafter

that link does a quick line check and bases its results on that.So if there is a fault it wont show  Smiley
    Chris
    Legend
    Fixes: 169

Hi there,
    Sorry you're not happy with your speeds, I've just taken a quick look over your account and can't see an open fault ticket? You need to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net if you believe you have a fault, otherwise we don't know and can't do anything to help fix it.
    Before doing though, I'd suggest going through a few things:
    - What are your router stats? From here it looks as though you are a *very* long way from the exchange, an attentuation of 63.5 is the highest most routers will report.
    - Are you plugged into the master socket of your premises without using any extension leads?
    - What are your router stats with *only* the router plugged in at the master socket using a single filter?
    [quote=Pies]that link does a quick line check and bases its results on that.So if there is a fault it wont show
    It can't actually do a line check as they can only be performed by either BTw or the company who own the asset on the line (us). They base that on the distance from the exchange which is why you can also get a result from postcode.
    Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
    xhippy01
    Hooked

Ok I'm calm now (By the way I did astrix out swear words here to shown frustration but point taken :))
    The test, www.samknows.com gave this:
    You are connected to the Peterborough Central telephone exchange.
    ADSL is available in your area
    Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
    Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
    According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 0.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection.
    Standard ADSL RAG results
    You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
    You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
    You can receive 512kbps ADSL
    You can receive 256kbps ADSL
    About what I expected, I shall add the extra info in a new post
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

The stats reported by your router (as requested in my first reply above) will tell us a lot - particularly the attenuation.
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
    xhippy01
    Hooked

The output from a BT speedtest
    Download speedachieved during the test was - 300 Kbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
    Additional Information:
    Your DSL Connection Rate :608 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
    What https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate says for your current line speed
    Not able to get here
    The statistics from your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin)
    Connection Speed   D = 608 kbps   U = 448 kbps
    Line Attenuation D = 63.5 db U = 31.5 db
    Noise Margin D = 8.5 db U = 15.0 db
    A description of your setup (how many telephone extensions you have, where the router is plugged in, where filters are located, details of telephones, DECT phones and any other equipment such as Sky boxes plugged in to any extension)
    Extensions = 1 + main
    end of extension (has to be)
    filter on main and extention before router
    one phone ( with two handsets but only one attached to line)
    DECT - was is this?
    no sky, one dektop on router and wireless 360 + laptop
    Thanks for the help all
    J
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Even if it's not how you need things I'd suggest trying the router plugged in to the test socket inside the master socket with no phones attached and then look at the sync rate and noise margin you get. If there is an improvement it tells us that there is scope for getting better speed, if there's no improvement then there's nothing to be gained.
    Given your attenuation (because of how far you are from the exchange) I fear the only people who could help you get better speeds in your current house are these people. Sad Sorry to be so pessimistic.
    xhippy01
    Hooked

thanks jelv for the reponse
    I've had a play about and moved the router downstairs, changed the filter for a better one.  The only thing I can't do is open the socket as its behind a fish tank ;(
    I now have figures like these:
    Connection Speed  D = 576 kbps  U = 448 kbps
    Line Attenuation D = 63.5 db U = 31.5 db
    Noise Margin D = 10.1 db U = 16.0 db
    I wonder if my line attenuation is too high? is there anyway to reduce it?
    shutter
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 65

Has your fish tank got a pump? and a flourescent light? or a long filament light? or a filament bulb?  and is it plugged in to the same socket as the power supply of the router?
    Can you "monitor" your router stats every 30 mins? (copy and paste to a .doc file or notepad ) so you have some record over a period of time.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Your attenuation is high - that's why double checking in the test socket is really a must. If it's the same (and not much change on the sync and noise margin) the link I gave is the only hope as attenuation is dependant on distance from the exchange.
    As shutter suggested, when you do the test in the master test socket, make sure the fish tank is powered off, take a note of the figures and then see if turning it back on affects them.
    shutter
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 65

I have a high Attenuation figure... same as yours 63.5db.... here is what I found out
    put your postcode in the box on here
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
    click on CHECK... you will be given a list of providers from the exchange...
    click on BT ADSL
    and you will see a list similar to below....
    Standard ADSL RAG results
    You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
    You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
    You can receive 512kbps ADSL
    You can receive 256kbps ADSL
    You are approximately 2.30km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

I have re-wired my internal sockets (from the master socket) and now have a SNR of between 4.3 and 5.5 steady very little noise on the line, and  a steady 1.2 to 1.4 mb throughput speed.. sync speed is 1856kbps on 63.5db attenuation.
    so although you have a low speed at the moment..... there is hope !...
    (i don`t do gaming, so I am happy with my speed)