Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I no longer feel like you're doing me proud

elliotgehin
Hooked

I no longer feel like you're doing me proud

Storytime:

I'm about to move home so decided to ring up Plusnet to switch everything over. They checked the speeds I could get at the new place and they're very poor, no fiber available and maximum speeds of around 10mb.

Of course this is Plusnet's fault, but at least with my internet speed now being a fraction of what it is currently, maybe I could pay less per month I thought to myself?

Nope, the price is actually increasing!

I was confused, I told them the price they're quoting me is higher than what I currently pay, and higher than the price they advertise online for the new property. I am an existing customer, I want to keep Plusnet when I move property because I've been happy with the service, why is my price going up? Then they revealed they've actually had my balls in a vice this whole time, as my current contact renewed recently so I would have to pay over £200 to end early. I love the feeling of being extorted.

I am a Plusnet broadband and a Plusnet mobile customer, and I cannot wait to cancel both contacts as soon as I am free to.
4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: I no longer feel like you're doing me proud

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from My Account/Billing to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@elliotgehin wrote:
Of course this is Plusnet's fault, but at least with my internet speed now being a fraction of what it is currently, maybe I could pay less per month I thought to myself?

Did you miss out the word "not"?

Plusnet has no control over the services available in a particular location, that is entirely under the control of BT Openreach / BT Wholesale.

What were you on before?  FTTC extra (80/20)?

What are you on now? ADSL or FTTC 40/10 (but some distance from the cabinet?

On moving home, the T&Cs say the following...

9. Moving home

9.1. If you want to move your broadband or fibre broadband service during your minimum term you may have to pay a home move fee as set out in the Price Guide or enter a new agreement with us with a new minimum term.

9.2. If you have fibre broadband, but we can't provide it at your new home, you can move to our broadband service without penalty.

9.3. If we can't provide any broadband service to your new home, you'll have to pay early termination charges as set out in the Price Guide.

9.4. Other home move charges (such as fees for installing a new line) may also apply as set out in the Price Guide.

I would seek to argue that paying FTTC prices for an ADSL service is paying a penalty and therefore not aligned to the T&Cs and ask that therefore your residual contract duration be price adjusted to to reflect the price difference between FTTC and ADSL.

There is also the consideration of Ofcom rules on correct billing.  We have seen examples of the action of Plusnet's revenue protection unit moving people on FTTC paying ADSL prices moved to ADSL and people on ADSL paying FTTC prices moved to FTTC to ensure that service provided and billing are properly aligned.

If you have been "down-provided" on ADSL, looking at established practice it would seem reasonable that you should pay no more than the ADSL price.

However, watch out for this clause in the T&Cs

8. Changing your service

8.1. If you change from our fibre broadband service to our broadband service or vice versa, you'll need to agree to a new minimum term and pay any applicable set-up charges.

8.2. If you downgrade from our fibre broadband to our broadband service and are still within your minimum term, you'll have to pay early termination charges for ending your agreement with us for your fibre broadband service early.

But if they try to play this clause, make clear that downgrading was not your choice but a decision forced (upon everyone involved here) by Plusnet's suppliers.  There is a maxim to be tested here - Why should the customer face financial penalties at all, by the failure of Plusnet's suppliers to facilitate similar service availability everywhere?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

elliotgehin
Hooked

Hi, thanks for the fantastic reply.

Firstly, yes I did mean to say Plusnet are not responsible for the lack of fibre in the area.

I don't think I'm currently on FTTC extra, I know I have "Unlimited fibre" and get actual speeds of around 25MB. In the new property I'm moving to there is no fibre. I've been told I am guaranteed at least 3MB, likely between 8-12MB, so I assume it's ADSL.

If I call up and quote section 9.2, claim downgrading was not my choice, then I should be able to pay the regular broadband price, which is £18.99?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Clearly it is worth a try, though I'm a customer just like you so I cannot say what the outcome will be.  I know that in general, even though frustrated, treating the other party with respect can get you flexibility when presented with a reasonable argument.  You might be best calling COTS on this one for they have some room for negotiation (note the below are the pre-COVID-19 hours I have not checked to see if they have changed) ...

Customer options

• 0800 013 2632 (from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
  • 9am - 7pm Saturday
  • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.