cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm even considering moving to Virgin!!!

anthonytravis
Dabbler

I'm even considering moving to Virgin!!!

I read the "Latest News" article on the main site about Money Saving Expert recommending Plusnet as good value and couldn't stop laughing. Grin
I pay £24 a month for a premium account with Plusnet, and have done for about 5 years. Not much of a saving there, but you generally get what you pay for, so for a 20gb peak-time limit, 8mb connection and off-peak period from midnight to 4pm I was kind of happy to pay through the nose.
Only that's not what I'm getting. I have had a recurring speed fault for over a year. It's been more or less constant since November (with my "8mb" connection dropping as low as 170 Kbps for prolonged periods) and nobody at Plusnet seems to really care.
I have lost count of the number of times I have been through the testing procedure - change the modem (have now tried four); change the filter (have tried three, including brand new BT-branded ones); unplug other telephony equipment & plug into master socket (have now had a single telephone plugged into the BT test socket for nearly a month). Still the fault returns. A BT engineer might cost me £140 if they call one out, I'm told.
The connection speed comes up to around 5 meg, then drops and when I look my IP profile has been reduced again. The support staff suggest I must be unplugging or switching off the modem. I put comments on my ticket and nobody responds.
To add insult to injury, my peak time usage reached 13 gb near the end of a billing month and I got an automated email saying they were going to cap my connection speed!!
I've tried making a formal complaint, but am just told I have to put it in writing to the Leeds address. It's great when it works, c**p when it doesn't and, with a few honourable exceptions, nobody at Plusnet really seems to care.
Well, I guess they've got my money and, as I keep giving it to them every month in the hope they'll deliver the service I pay for, why should they.
I am now so browned off I'm even considering going to Virgin!!!
p.s. does anyone know if Martin Lewis has shares in Plusnet?