cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being billed monthly...even though I am no longer with plusnet !!!!!!!!

jonnyg
Grafter

I'm being billed monthly...even though I am no longer with plusnet !!!!!!!!

I find this one quite remarkable.   I moved broadband supplier on 23rd December from plusnet to o2....(and by the way I am enjoying a consistent 7meg download speed whereas it was 192kb with plusnet)
Anyway, today I have received an email from plusnet telling me that my next bill is due soon and to make sure account details are correct etc.   Why the hell are they billing me as I am no longer a customer of theirs?  Interestingly I am still able to log-in using my old plusnet account details to the "questions" section so I just left the following message:
=========================================
I moved successfully to my new broadband provider on 23rd December. All moved without problem. However, I have just received a billing notification from you to say that I will be billed by you soon for January....err, no I won't...I have already cancelled the direct debit with my bank and am amazed that you are now trying to take money from me when I am now with a completely different supplier.
Please explain why you are doing this as I will be reporting this to my bank as fraud on your part.
=========================================

I hope someone from plusnet picks up this message on this forum and gives me an explanation as to what is going on....and by the way I was on an old force9 product with plusnet as I had been a customer for 10 years, so there was no annual contract etc.

by the way, this is the email that I received from plusnet
===========================================
This advance notice is to let you know that a payment of £21.99, for your PlusNet Internet account will soon be taken, on or after 20/01/2010. This email is for your information only, as no action is necessary on your part to complete this payment.
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I'm being billed monthly...even though I am no longer with plusnet !!!!!!!!

Had you notified Plusnet that you had completed your migration? The majority of MACs requested are never used so it relies on BT telling Plusnet about migrations out and sometimes that system fails.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jonnyg,
I'm sorry about this - basically as Jelv says we didn't receive any notification from BT that your migration out had completed. I can see you've cancelled the direct debit on the account, so all we need to do from this end is wait for the payment to fail - we'll then be able to close the account off for you. I'll confirm for you as soon as that's happened, it'll be done by the end of the week.
jonnyg
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Had you notified Plusnet that you had completed your migration? The majority of MACs requested are never used so it relies on BT telling Plusnet about migrations out and sometimes that system fails.

No, I didn't do that....nobody mentioned that I needed to do that.  I would have thought that once my o2 broadband became active on the same telephone line that someone or something at plusnet would have flagged up that I was no longer connected to plusnet ?
If someone had said that I needed to tell plusnet that I had actually used the key then I would have done so.
By the way, I'm still getting consistenly 7meg download and 1 meg upload with o2 and the connection has not dropped once since December 23rd when it started....happy days !
jelv
Seasoned Hero

So someone goes on an extended holiday for a couple of months having previously requested a MAC, and because their router was powered off for a couple of months Plusnet think they have migrated and shut down their account?
The system is supposed to work by BT Wholesale notifying the losing ISP - but sometimes the system fails.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

At least with PN it will get sorted properly. Other ISP's I could name would keep billing you for ages.... Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero

... and send the bailiffs round if you didn't pay!
mikko
Grafter

I hope i'm not heading for the same situation.
It was all agreed with Metronet (PN) that I would receive a refund of £6.12 so final payment would be £12.23 instead of £18.35.
I've now received an email that they're going to take £18.35.
During recent email/ticket correspondance PN said "These fees will be processed once we have received confirmation that you have migrated away successfully".
It looks as if PN have not received the confirmation. I've been with another ISP since Jan 12th so could PN please try to get confirmation from BT of my migration.
whistler
Grafter

call me an old synic - but I reckon this is a common scam.
I've just migrated to plusnet from tiscali. Before I did so I was warned by a friend to make darn sure tiscali don't keep charging as they did him. After checking the forums this parctice is apparantly rife. I went through the tiscali T&Cs with a fine tooth comb before I switched to make sure I knew and followed the procedure to the letter. All it says on the matter is that if you DON'T use your mac code then you will not be switched. It then IMPLIES that if you do switch then your account will be closed. In my case - surprise, surprise it wasn't - cos I rang and checked. They made some mutterings about it falling between the gaps. But get this - they then told me to ring their 0871 number (at 10p/min) to request cancellation. I asked them why I would do this just to tell them stuff they already know - now they just bounce my emails round and round repeating themselves - ring 0871 etc. etc. ad freaking infinitum. I've now written to them threatening legal action if they dare bill me again. I tell you, ISPs are the biggest bunch of crooks this side of Sicilly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Cock-up or conspiracy?
(Clue: Both Plusnet and Tiscali rely on BT to send them reports of users who have completed their migration out!)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@whistler, having had detailed experience of both I can assure you there's a world of difference between the way Tiscali and PlusNet deal with such issues. Wink
I can only hope that TalkTalk will improve Tiscali's appalling reputation in this area now they've taken them over. Lips_are_sealed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Knowing Talk Talk the best you can hope for is an improvement from appalling to just ordinary dreadful! Tongue
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jonnyg - unfortunately the payment hasn't failed yet, as soon as it does I'll get the refund issued for you.
@mikko - your payment is still going through but as per my post to you in your thread I'll make sure the refund gets done as soon as we can.
whistler
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Both Plusnet and Tiscali rely on BT to send them reports of users who have completed their migration out!)

Maybe someone can explain this for me. I'm happily browsing away with my tiscali account. I get an email from plusnet saying "Congratulations, your broadband has been activated. It's time to get connected". I log off (tiscali) change the username and password in my router. log back on (plusnet) and I'm back happily browsing away. So - my question - how do BT know I've done that - surely plusnet should be the ones who know - they get an entry in their server log - so why isn't it plusnet who get on to tiscali and tell them I've switched - I don't get it. What's BT got to do with it?
Quote from: HPsauce
@whistler, having had detailed experience of both I can assure you there's a world of difference between the way Tiscali and PlusNet deal with such issues. Wink

OMG I hope you mean plusnet are better... you must do cos they can no way be worse.
Quote from: HPsauce
I can only hope that TalkTalk will improve Tiscali's appalling reputation in this area now they've taken them over. Lips_are_sealed

Well as it was talk talk that were in the driving seat when I left (or should I say - still attempting to leave) I'd say there ain't a hair's width difference between them. IMHO tiscali were **** and talk talk are ****.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: whistler
What's BT got to do with it?

Everything! Their engineers have to do the work to switch you over (don't confuse BT Retail with whom you may have had dealings with BT Wholesale and Openreach who sell services on to phone providers (like BT Retail, the Post Office) and ISPs).