cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a new customer, and...

GrandadMaster

I'm a new customer, and...

I am shocked at how poor Plusnet broadband is. The router is a piece of crap, it is constantly flickering, going in and out of connection. As a result, watching any streamed films or TV shows is a nightmare, but worse, I can't use the internet on my mobile phone at home. As I sit here it's going in and out of wifi connection, and searching in between, which means if I have wifi turned on it runs the battery down.
So, I can't stream anything.
I can't use my mobile's internet.
I can't play any games that require a stable connection.
How am I writing this? Somehow my PC is a little bit more stable, but it is still very.
Can someone at Plusnet let me know what they are going to do, because I am paying for wifi yet not receiving it - in my book you are reneging on your contract.
11 REPLIES 11
GrandadMaster

Re: I'm a new customer, and...

And also,, where's my cashback? That hasn't arrived.
Using Plusnet is like going back to the early 00s. Might as well use a dial-up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi GrandadMaster,
Welcome to the forums.
Wifi is a variable feast and is as much influenced by your local environment and the presence of other Wifi stations as the suggested quality of the router itself.  Which one have you got?  
What makes you certain that this is a WiFi problem and not something else?  (Router stats would be useful please.)  Have you tried changing WiFi channels?  See this help guide - http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml  InSIDDer is a very useful free (V3) tool for visualising the nearby wifi stations to determine the ideal channel in YOUR location.  Look for it on the internet and down load it.
Streaming TV over WiFi is never to be recommended.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GrandadMaster

What makes me certain? The fact every device has a problem, that the range appears to be about three metres, and that I have never had this problem before with previous suppliers.
To clarify, the streaming to my TV is over a wired connection - I should have said that - and it is poor.
How do I supply router stats? The router says the model is 2704N.
I haven't tried changing channels, I will now.
I am most concerned about mobile phones - not just mine - being useless.
bleeper24

Hi GrandadMaster
                                Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your Plusnet connectivity ........Like you, I am new to Plusnet , but my experience is totally the opposite of your troubles !
I elected to retain my own Dual Band router.......  and when my connection " went live" ...... I had a connection issue that totally prevented my access to the Internet and was totally unable to "get online" at all !
An early aproach to Tech Support was needed as I was not sure wether the issue was with my equipment ...or if it was an issue with the exchange or a "line fault !
Within a very short time , the tech support team had the issue sorted ! They were polite ....efficient ...and were very patient whilst I carried out various configuration changes to my router ...which eventually resulted in a stable and "rock solid " connection !
WiFi is a " fickle beast " and can be affected by numerous external influences such as DECT telephones ...microwaves and any number of  electronic appliances that use a similar wavelength !
You don't mention what steps you took to resolve the problem ...... did you try a connection via Ethernet cable to see if the issue was WiFi related ?
I'm sure that if you give the Support guys a chance ....they'll sort it for you  ;)...... I've been with a number of ISP's over many years ....... and as far as I'm concerned ...the service and support I 've received has been the best  I've experienced ....... Hope you get sorted ....obviously you aren't happy ....but give em' a chance to help you  Smiley
GrandadMaster

Yes, Ethernet is affected too. How do I use an old router that's better than the one Plusnet supply? When I plug in my old one it searches for the old service, not Plusnet. I've tried a factory reset. Any ideas?
hillyfields123
Grafter

Was your old router supplied by a major ISP? If so then it's probably locked to that network.
bleeper24

Hi again GrandadMaster
                                              If you aren't familiar with configuring your router .....you really ought to contact Tech Support to help talk you through the process .
If your older router isn't configured correctly then you can have numerous settings that may well prevent your connection process !
Your beat bet is to contact Support and have your routers handy so that the guys can talk you through the process ..... and if you aren't familiar with entering into the Router settings pages , then you could do more harm than good !
The advice from Townsman about using the "InSIDDer " software from Metageek was sound too ...When you are " up andrunning " ....you can still have WiFi issues with respect to "crowded channels " on the 2.4Ghz bandwidth ....even if you select a different channel ....you'll find that Channel 6 for example , will be overlapped by users on channels 4 to 8 ! These conditions are out of an ISP's area of influence as channel population is very variable in every neighbourhood  Sad !
First job is to get your connection stabillized and Tech Support will be the best way to go  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: bleeper24
If you aren't familiar with configuring your router .....you really ought to contact Tech Support to help talk you through the process .

Do not expect a vast level of support for non-PlusNet supplied routers from the support desk.  They might be able to assist with alien routers, but it is a tall expectation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi GrandadMaster,
I've just taken a look over your line and can see a number of drops. Unfortunately it's very difficult to tell what's caused the drops that I can see. I have made some changes to the settings on your line in an attempt to stabilise things for you.
Your line was running on a 3db SNR profile (for those in the community that are interested!), so I've nudged that up to 6db to see if this improves things for. I've added a note to that effect on your Fault Ticket so the Faults Team are well aware of the changes I've made.
I can't see anything from the copper side (phone line) that could be causing any issues, so if the drops do persists, please bear with us whilst our Faults Team run further tests and investigate. I appreciate it's a really frustrating time, especially as you've only recently joined us, but we'd like to put things right, so please bear with us and we'll do all we can.
RadioFox
Grafter

Quote from: GrandadMaster
...How do I supply router stats? The router says the model is 2704N...

Login here http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html with your router password.
Go to device info > statistics > xDSL.
You can copy & paste the info into your post, or take a screen grab, paste it into Paint, save it, then attach it to your post.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your line is looking much more stable, it's been up and stable for nearly 18 hours.