cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have had no phone or internet for over 6 weeks.

buttercup123

I have had no phone or internet for over 6 weeks.

Sorry, I have nothing good to say. My phone and internet went off on 18th November. A fibre engineer came on the 19thNov to convert me to fibre because my regular internet service was so intermittent, but couldn't because there was no phone connection. He didn't report it, but I didn't realize until the 23rd when my question thread starts.
To make phone contact with Plusnet requires a hold of half to one hour---without a phone connection, just a cell phone.
Since then, the fibre engineer has been twice more in vain because there was no phone, and on the 23rd December, he went to the cabinet and confirmed there was no connection to the exchange.
For a brief period, I had somebody else's crossed line, so could call out, but incoming calls were on their number.
Calling my number produced an immediate mailbox full response, which eventually changed to ringing twice before a mailbox full response, and has now changed again to a "person on the phone" message. I still have no dial tone or internet connection as of today.
In order to keep this brief, I have pasted the whole Question 114932160 thread below to show the complete dysfunctionality of the whole Plusnet-Open Reach interaction.
Insanity has been defined as keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
In simplified general terms, the cycle goes like this.
Plusnet--We have reported a fault to our supplier, and an engineer's visit is necessary.
Wait a few days, the engineer fails to keep the appointment.
Plusnet reports a fault has been detected, it has been worked on, they have tested the line and it is now OK (Nobody has even considered calling me to see if it works??!!)
I reply back that it is still not connected and give details which nobody ever reads, before starting the cycle over and over again, each time saying the line is good when it isn't, and saying an engineer's visit will be necessary (who doesn't come), and it will cost me if I am not there, and I should go through this long check process for the hundredth time to sure the fault isn't on my premises.
The Question is repeatedly put on hold for days at a time, so nothing happens even if I respond.
Every time my Question is examined, it is usually by a different person, who appears not to read what went before, doesn't apply any analysis or common sense, and responds like a robot along a single repetitive pathway which has never worked before.
I honestly don't know where to turn now. And it is costing me a fortune for barely functioning dongle and cell phone charges.
A big fat zero out of ten, I'm afraid. Waiting to hear what my MP thinks of it.
If you want some seasonal entertainment, read on below.
[Removed] - CSC Analyst
3:41pm, Monday 23 Nov 2015
Dear
Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers for further investigation.
They have advised the estimated time for response is XX/XX/XX.
Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so.

**internal**
Fault Type: NDT
Test Results: Fault in test (tried 7 times)
Fault Ref: TR0000005291069
Estimated Response Time: NA
Contact Details:
Kind regards,
[Removed]

[Removed]- BOT - DSL Logged Faults
1:04pm, Thursday 26 Nov 2015
Dear ,
Thanks for your patience,
I have chased our supplier for an update and have found that unfortunately more work is required to rectify your fault.
Engineers are currently working on a common fault in the area and due to the complex work required this is going to be a few more days. We have been told that the fault should be resolved by the 30th.
For this reason I will place the ticket back on hold until then.
We will continue to track the fault and update you wherever possible. My apologies for the further delay.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.

This Question is now on hold until Sunday 29th November at 7:00am.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

Script User - Automated Script Pool
7:05am, Sunday 29 Nov 2015
Question [ 114932160 ] is now off hold. Our Support Team will provide a further update soon.

Your Response
11:54am, Sunday 29 Nov 2015
My phone line is now back after 11days---for how long I don't know.
I have no broadband or internet lights on my router.
Hope I get some connection soon.

Your Response
10:26am, Monday 30 Nov 2015
Our phone line isn't actually working. We seem to be connected to someone else's line [Removed] should be [Removed], and still no internet! ARGH!

[Removed] - CSC Analyst
2:38pm, Tuesday 1 Dec 2015
Passed to faults agent.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

[Removed] - CSC - Team Managers
2:46pm, Tuesday 1 Dec 2015
**INTERNAL**
Testing. Results to follow shortly.

2:46pm, Tuesday 1 Dec 2015
Dear ,
BT wish to send an engineer to your premises to further investigate your home phone fault.
BT operate 2 timeslots for visits. These are AM ( 0800-1300) and PM (1300-1800), Monday to Friday
Please provide 3 timeslots you could attend and we will book the appointment for you and contact you to confirm when the engineer will be visiting.
Please note if an engineer visits your premises and is unable to gain access or If the fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £50 will apply.

Kind regards,
[Removed]
[Email notification sent to: [Removed]]

3:20pm, Tuesday 1 Dec 2015
This Question is now on hold until Wednesday 2nd December at 9:00am.

9:05am, Wednesday 2 Dec 2015
Question [ 114932160 ] is now off hold. Our Support Team will provide a further update soon.

Your Response
7:52pm, Thursday 3 Dec 2015
I wish to remind you that there are 2 questions open, 114932160 and109433525.
I still have neither my own phone line or internet after 2 weeks. I can call out as of last weekend and I do get calls for Mr , but I cannot receive calls dialled to my own number.
My fibre installation never happened, but my account was activated and I am being charged for it.
It would great if you folks communicated with each other and with me.

[Removed] - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
12:18pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
[internal]

2:43pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
Dear ,
To progress your fault we need to arrange an engineer visit. Please reply to this message with 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm.
If the engineer finds the fault to caused by your internal wiring or equipment the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists and we will add a one off fee of £50 to your bill. The same fee will apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

Your Response
4:14pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
Hi,
I am assuming that there is a good reason to visit my premises when half the district is off line.
Anyhow, I will set aside either Monday, 7th or Wednesday 9th at a time to suit you. Please tell me what you decide, and confirm that you have received this as you don’t specify precisely how to get back to you on this request for time slots—I presume this email site is being monitored---No, it clearly isn't, so here it is pasted into this location. More time wasted!.
Thanks

5:08pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
Dear ,
Thanks for getting back to us.
I am sorry but the dates you have offered are not available. Our suppliers have advised that the next available slot in your area is the 10th.
If you can please reply to this message via the Plusnet member section i will continue to monitor for an update.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

Your Response
5:52pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
The morning of the 10th, early, is possible, but nothing then until the following week.
I am still not clear, and nobody ever responds, why my line needs checking YET AGAIN when the fault seems to be area wide, many others are in the same predicament, and calls are coming in just fine now, but on somebody else's number.
The cross connection is clearly not on my premises!
Responding to my question would be appreciated.
Thanks

6:12pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
Dear ,
Thanks for getting back to me.
The reason why we need a engineer visit book is because this is the only option our suppliers are offering to progress your fault further.
The reason for the visit to the premises is this is where the engineer will begin his investigation as no point on the Openreach network have been detected.
They have not advised of any issues in your area affecting multiple lines. If there was an issue raised then a common fault would have been declared by Openreach.

Your appointment for an engineer has been booked for 10/12/15 between 8am-1pm. Please call us on 0800 432 0200 if the appointment needs rearranging.
Kind Regards,
[Removed]
**Internal**
Fault Reference:TR0000005325988
Visit Number:1
Kind regards,
[Removed]

6:12pm, Friday 4 Dec 2015
This Question is now on hold until Thursday 10th December at 1:00pm.
Placing on hold.

1:05pm, Thursday 10 Dec 2015

6:55pm, Sunday 13 Dec 2015
[Internal]
Clear Code
Clear Message
In Length AreaCable (Underground)
Kind regards,
[Removed]

6:56pm, Sunday 13 Dec 2015
Dear,
Thank you for your patience.
Our suppliers have informed us they have cleared a fault on your line. They believe this has rectified the issue you reported to us.
I hope this clears things up for you. There is no need to reply to this ticket if the matter is resolved. This ticket will remain open with you for the next 14 days. After which It will automatically close leaving a full copy of the notes on your account.
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net/ or by phone on 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

Your Response
9:34pm, Sunday 13 Dec 2015
Well, I am just lost for words.
For the record:
I have had no internet or phone since 18thNovember, except for a brief period which ended about a week ago when I had somebody else's phone line so I could call out but not receive calls.
The situation is still that I have no dial tone and no internet, whatever your supplier---for whose performance you are completely responsible--may tell you.
The number that I was connected to for a short period until last week has now been restored to its owner, I have checked.
Dialling my number just produces a mailbox full message. Nothing rings here, naturally.
The engineer's visit last week? For all the story [removed] gave on the 4th Dec message above: well I stayed in, but nobody came.
I have yet another visit booked to attend to my fibre internet on the 23rd December, but as I have no phone, presumably he will be wasting his time again as there seems to be zero communication between any of your departments or suppliers.
Do I assume I will have nothing until the new year now?
Thanks,

[Removed] - CSC Analyst
9:39am, Wednesday 16 Dec 2015
**INTERNAL**

[Removed] - CSC Analyst
9:41am, Wednesday 16 Dec 2015
Dear,
Your fault has been raised with our suppliers for further investigation. I am sorry for the delays that you have experienced with this. Upon retesting your line we have found an external issue which has not been resolved by our suppliers.
I have raised this back to them and they have advised the estimated time for response is 22/12/15 15:00:00.
Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so.

**internal**
Fault Type: NDT
Test Results: Test Result: Fail - Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF)
Description: FAULT - Dis in Exchange
Fault Ref: TR0000005379242
Estimated Response Time: 22/12/15 15:00:00
Contact Details:

Kind regards,
[Removed]

[Removed]- CSC Analyst
9:42am, Wednesday 16 Dec 2015
This Question is now on hold until Wednesday 23rd December at 7:00am.

7:05am, Wednesday 23 Dec 2015

9:21am, Thursday 24 Dec 2015
**INTERNAL**

9:25am, Thursday 24 Dec 2015
Engineer NotesLine tested OK at MD F. Further investiga tion required in Ope nreach external netw ork. 18/12/2015 09:54:00

9:25am, Thursday 24 Dec 2015
Dear,
Thank you for your patience.
Our suppliers have informed us they have cleared a fault on your line. They believe this has rectified the issue you reported to us.I hope this clears things up for you.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
If you are happy the fault has been resolved, there is no need to reply as the ticket will close automatically after 14 days. This reduces our ticket volumes and lowers our overall response time.

Kind regards,
[Removed]

Your Response
10:28am, Thursday 24 Dec 2015
Please don't thank me for my patience again. It ran out long ago. Your last response above leaves me absolutely furious at the total incompetence and indifference of your organisation to your customers. Only yesterday, the fibre installation engineer came for the third time yesterday (23rd), quite pointless as we have had no phone for 5 weeks, and confirmed there was no connection at the local cabinet. The engineer booked to fix the phone on the 22nd never came to my house--again--and so fixed nothing.
Everything I might want to say has already been said several times in postings above, which you are free to review, and as it is clearly pointless giving any input here, I'll just wish you a good day while I go and contact my Member of Parliament.

9:46am, Monday 28 Dec 2015
[Internal]
Old fault has timed out and WLR3 shows NFF so we'll need to book an engineer if the fault is ongoing
Kind regards,
[Removed]

9:49am, Monday 28 Dec 2015
Dear Removed],
If the fault is still ongoing then we need to send an engineer to your property to resolve this.
Before we arrange to send an engineer, please see our video help guide below to make sure that you've covered the internal checks requested:
The link is

If you are unable to watch the video for any reason the steps are outlined below.
We need to find your master socket, this is often the first telephone point where the line enters your home. If you’re still unsure of what that looks like, we have a guide here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
When you've found it you need to make sure it’s working properly:
* Locate your master telephone socket, and unplug all other equipment from the line (ideally, please try this from the test socket (behind the removable front plate of the master socket)
* Now take the corded handset and plug directly into the master socket.
* Pick up your handset and see if you’re still having the same problem.
If you have done all the above checks and the issue is still evident then we can arrange to send an engineer to you. However, if an engineer visits your premises and the issue is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £50 may apply. This is why we advise of the above checks.
If you wish to proceed with an engineer appointment we need the following information:
* Agreement that if the issue is caused by any of the above that you may receive a £50 charge.
* An alternative contact number preferably a mobile
* Availability should an engineer need to attend the premises, between the hours of 8am-1pm & 1pm-6pm Monday - Friday.

You can reply to this ticket here with the requested information. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200, pressing the option to raise a new Home Phone Fault.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

9:49am, Monday 28 Dec 2015
holding
This Question is now on hold until Saturday 31st December at 7:00am.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

8:13pm, Wednesday 30 Dec 2015
Your Question is now off hold. Our Support Team will provide a further update soon. Additional information is provided below:
Kind regards,
[Removed]

[Removed] - CSC Analyst
2:48pm, Thursday 31 Dec 2015
Dear,
I am sorry for the ongoing problems you are having. I have tested the line today and I am unable to find a fault with the phone service. If you are still experiencing issues with your phone the next step would be to send an engineer to your property to resolve this.
Before we arrange to send an engineer, please see our video help guide below to make sure that you've covered the internal checks requested:
The link is

If you are unable to watch the video for any reason the steps are outlined below.
We need to find your master socket, this is often the first telephone point where the line enters your home. If you’re still unsure of what that looks like, we have a guide here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
When you've found it you need to make sure it’s working properly:
* Locate your master telephone socket, and unplug all other equipment from the line (ideally, please try this from the test socket (behind the removable front plate of the master socket)
* Now take the corded handset and plug directly into the master socket.
* Pick up your handset and see if you’re still having the same problem.
If you have done all the above checks and the issue is still evident then we can arrange to send an engineer to you. However, if an engineer visits your premises and the issue is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £50 may apply. This is why we advise of the above checks.
If you wish to proceed with an engineer appointment we need the following information:
* Agreement that if the issue is caused by any of the above that you may receive a £50 charge.
* An alternative contact number preferably a mobile
* Availability should an engineer need to attend the premises, between the hours of 8am-1pm & 1pm-6pm Monday - Friday.
You can reply to this ticket here with the requested information. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200, pressing the option to raise a new Home Phone Fault.
If the phone fault is now resolved please let us know, once this is confirmed we can then replace the order for the fibre service.
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at Contact Us or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.

This Question is now on hold until Friday 1st January at 7:00am.
Kind regards,
[Removed]

Your Response
4:50pm, Thursday 31 Dec 2015
The Question 114932160 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Phone Faults - Logged
Hi [Removed],
This is just insane.
The fibre engineer came last week (for the 3rd time) and could not connect fibre because there was no phone connection, which he CONFIRMED AT THE CABINET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Why are you telling me for the nth time that my line is good when it isn't?????????? Your own engineer says it isn't. Have you tried calling me to check if you say it is?????????? Why are you telling me to check my master socket when your engineer tells me there is no signal to the cabinet????Huh
Did you look back at my last communication above (24th) where I have told you all this for the nth time during the 6+ weeks for which I have had no service?
Why would you send an engineer to my premises and keep me at home when last time, nobody came at the appointed time????Huh
If you would address each of these questions, then you could earn points for being the only one person in your organization who cares just one jot about your customers.
Thanks

Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.
I need to add more details
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA names removed as per the forum rules.]
Moderators Note.
Have also removed customer's name and email address and telephone number from a public forum.
28 REPLIES 28
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: I have had no phone or internet for over 6 weeks.

Hi Buttercup,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Really sad to hear of your woeful story.  Sadly crossed lines or lines incorrectly terminated are amongst the most difficult to resolve due to the hamfisted way BT Openreach work.
The CP has to identify a fault before they can raise an engineering request on BTOR.  To do this, they test your number DOWN the line from the exchange.  Your phone number might well be properly terminated somewhere and therefore checks out OK.  I've had a similar issue after replacement of stolen copper cables - my line became connected to the pub in the next village and their's to my home!  It was a devil of a job to get action on the issue, because the line tests reported no fault found.
It does not help that BTOR fail so often to turn up for appointments and when they do, engineers will do no more than is on their job sheet, instead of taking the professional attitude of "there is a fault with BTOR's infrastructure, I'm a BTOR infrastructure engineer so I'll fix it whilst I'm here".
As an aside, does PlusNET supply your phone service?  If not, again because of stupid BTOR rules, then the issue with the phone line will need to be addressed by the phone service provider, before your FTTC install can be progressed.  Hopefully it is all with PlusNET?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

buttercup123

Thanks TOWNMAN for helpful response, thankfully my phone contract is with Plusnet also. Your diagnosis seems to agree with my conclusions, except that one might expect an answer on my crossed line when I call it by cell?
There is certainly a huge issue over the way Open Reach communicate with ISP's and operate so dysfunctionally, and they have a monopoly so no incentive to improve, and we have no choice.. That is why I am involving my MP.
I tried the line checker today on the Plusnet trouble shooter and it did give a good reading, for the first time, in place of the "inconclusive, try again later" which prevents you from progressing in the "report faults" section.
I didn't overload this  present thread with a copy of my internet problems "open Question" which is about 10 times longer than this phone thread, and just as dysfunctional. I am now 2 months into my activated new fibre contract and it hasn't even been connected yet, though they are direct debiting my account. I am thinking of stopping the debit which they will be collecting in a few days. Quite frankly, I am inclined to cancel that upgrade until I have a functioning line, but have paid a big charge upfront for the discounted line charges and might have trouble getting a refund on that without a whole lot more hassle. This has taken untold hours of my time already.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Townman
The CP has to identify a fault before they can raise an engineering request on BTOR.  

I don't believe that's always the case.  Noisy lines sometimes pass the remote test, and Plusnet are able to raise a call in these cases.  The resulting call out will start from the end user's premises - first action being to stick his JDSU tester into the master socket.  I suspect that in these cases if the line tests OK then Plusnet gets billed, which maybe why they're faffing around on this case.
Chronos
Grafter

Ah, but a line test from the customer's end is not going to identify a crossed connection on the frame or the lack of the expected services. The line will look just fine, even if a ringback is requested. Townman is right. Openretch are about as useful as a knitted condom when the fault falls outside of "ug, me Krone line down properly this time" and, sometimes, even when it doesn't. There needs to be a mechanism to apply cluebat to these people before it gets any better as, right now, they're insulated from the end user and the poor NSP's front line support team get all the abuse so Openretch don't have to care. At all.
I am well aware that OR and PN have certain shared parentage. That doesn't matter one little bit. PN's more than adequate care in provision of services is still being let down by a bunch of untouchable incompetents.
[me=Chronos]goes back to composing a letter to Ofcom, having had no telephone service for a fortnight with a disabled person in the house who could need emergency medical support at any time[/me]
tmoscrop
Dabbler

I am very sorry to hear about the trouble caused by this issue.
I have now escalated this issue to a team leader who will pass all details across to our faults team, along with specific instructions that we need to contact BT to provide them with all of this information. Fingers crossed we will have an answer, and be on the way to a fix within 24-48 hours. I can assure you this is being handled as a priority and we will do all we can to get you on line.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Chronos
Ah, but a line test from the customer's end is not going to identify a crossed connection on the frame or the lack of the expected services.

I can't quite believe even Openreach would attend a reported crossed line issue and pay no heed to the "this line is identified as ..." message.  However, what I was questioning was the assertion that an engineer visit cannot be booked if the remote test passes.  In fact you can see in the transcript that Plusnet have several times said that this is exactly what they're going to do, it's just that they haven't actually done so.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Tony,
May be 'assertion' is a bit strong here.  Depending on who fields the problem report, finding no fault on testing the line might be more likely to result in a "no fault found to report" response.
Anyhow further to a prod, there is now traction on this issue.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Having read this sorry tale, I cannot understand the total incompetence displayed by the CSC agents involved. You'd think that had they read the ticket history after the first few responses from the OP, one of them would have attempted to phone the OP to check that the phone was actually working. Oh no, that is just too simple for them to do, they unquestionably accept Openreach's fault cleared and continue to repeat the same garbage on the ticket. Agent training here is clearly well short of anything decent related to Customer SERVICE and surprise surprise, they still don't appear to read ticket history. The customer has repeatedly said they have no Internet and yet Plusnet expect them to watch a damned video - I suppose they think that everyone has unlimited data usage on a good mobile connection and an adequate smart phone to boot!!
I despair at the number of posts of this type that continue to be made.
What has the Plusnet CEO done about these appalling issues - nothing it would seem - when is he leaving, because he's a useless as a chocolate fireguard.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Couldn't agree more with the comment above. It just makes sorry reading. It will be interesting to hear what a staff member has to say about it. I just hope they don't try and make excuses.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

That is truly shocking,someone needs to be held responsable for this shocking tale. Shocked
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately all the Good agents here are only allowed to say SORRY  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To be fair, when the good agents pick up the issues here, there is usually the right focus placed on the issue.  Of recent weeks though, cover here has been a bit thin.

aly55

hi buttercup, i feel for you , please see my nightmare, worse service ever, i have had no phone or internet since 11th december,
even tho paid upfront on 8th november,  this plus net is a disgrace , my line came on  30th december , missed all skype at xmas to grandchildren , 7hrs on phones , 3 hhrs on chat , a joke .
never again .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Aly55,
That is not the complete story - you have been advised that a significant element of your delay arose from BTOR not correctly updating your phone line installation records.  In such circumstances it is difficult for any ISP to progress broadband provision.