cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't blame Plusnet, or openreach, but I just want broadband.

FIXED
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: I can't blame Plusnet, or openreach, but I just want broadband.

From reading the engineer notes it appears he did manage to fix the fault from outside of your house.

Ring ahead completed , advised no one would be in , fast test at 7:30 shows fault at PCP , fast test before travel shows LTOK , at customer premises I accessed a BT18 on the front of the house , no noise and PQT pass , test into house was clear . I replace the BT18 with a new AG closure. Fast test LTOK , LCDXT74.

The good news is that I've tested the line and it's coming back as clear. The bad news is the circuit is still out of sync. Would require us to arrange an SFI (broadband engineer appointment) unless your router is turned off?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Anoush,  If I get broadband soon I might be sending cakes to Sheffield.

I'm only updating this because I decided to update it every night whatever.  FWIW, came home and found the phone still works (it's never not worked),  No broadband but I took the faceplate off and tried the PN filter, and even my old router.   got the torch out in case OR had been working on my neighbours line but found the junction box up in the soffit has been changed from square to rectangular.  So OR have been busy..  I still can't help thinking that OR or BT wholesale have missed something.  Anyway I'm sure the engineer will figure it out.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just to echo here what I've updated your ticket with.

The phone fault has been fully closed by Openreach, however, the broadband fault is now stuck in our suppliers applications. Sad We should have an update that it's resolved within 24 hours.

From there, I'll be able to book your engineer appointment. I really do hope the fault gets resolved soon, I'll also be interested to find out what the problem was.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Thanks for your time on the phone. Appointment tomorrow between 8am and 1pm for a broadband engineer has been confirmed with BTW/Openreach. I'm out of the office tomorrow, so feel free to let me know how it goes here/by PM.

Or by updating your ticket and I'll get back in touch on Friday.

mikeyd
Rising Star

Thanks for your help with this Anoush.  No disrespect to your colleagues intended, (I'm sure you were just in the right place at the right time) I have to say that ever since you took an interest in this problem and kept updating me without me having to ask I have been a lot happier. Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem, I'm glad to have stepped in and been of help. I plan to see this through to the end, which I hope is tomorrow. Smiley

mikeyd
Rising Star

Well, it's taken a while but I have broadband.  The engineer (very pleasant chap) came and confirmed there was no broadband on the line at all.  We discussed the possibility of it being wrongly connected over fibre and he went off to the local cabinet.  Got a call from him later to confirm it was wrongly set up for ADSL and he had moved it off the fibre port.

I'm currently connected at over 5 Meg download speed which is more than I need and very good for the distance I am from the exchange so I'm more than happy.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Really glad that your service is now working. 

It's just a pity it took so long and that the combined expertise of BTOR and Plusnet did not pick up on the content of your messages 3 & 5 where the first engineer seems to have identified the REAL fault at the cabinet.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesome news, @mikeyd I'm really happy to hear your service is back up. Thumbs_Up Looks like you can finally watch The Grand Tour.

Once again, massive apologies for the delay. On reflection, it appears that the phone fault may have not been service affecting, but was unfortunately something that needed to be resolved to progress to an SFI visit.

Thanks for the update, this has made my day off even better. I'll sort out the billing of your account tomorrow.

mikeyd
Rising Star

Well, it's been a while but it now seems to be case closed.  BB has been well used over the last 2 days and is holding up fine.  I'm 3.5 Km from the exchange as the crow flies, but as there is a lake in the way, the line must be more like 4 miles.  It initially connected at 5Mb/s but has now climbed to over 6Mb/s.  I was originally given an estimate of 2-3Mb/s.  I can only conclude that all the work done on my (to me perfect) phone service has resulted in a very clean line.  So, every cloud has a silver lining.

PlusNet have given me a very fair refund for the lack of service.  I understood beforehand that they wouldn't refund any line rental, even though I don't need a land line but it's a pre-requisite for BB, I guess that's a different topic (Should we pay for BB only and have phone on top?).

I picked a bad title for this thread, and can't change it.  PlusNet have been great, sometimes needed a bit of a nudge.  All the BT/Openreach engineers on the ground have also been great.  It did turn out to be a BT fault at the cabinet.  I think if I wanted to apportion blame I would put it with BT/Openreach management.  There should be some system which says "hang on, 3 engineers have been out to the same place, there must be something obvious we've missed", but instead, as I see it, each of the engineer visits to my phone line were isolated cases, as far as BT and the engineers themselves were aware. 

One last thing, (I bet Anoush reads this) Please could my comments / experience be passed up the chain of command as far as possible.

Sorry, I do like a ramble.  I'll never bump this tread up again Smiley

EDIT: Forgot to ask, sorry.  I feel like I can now read BT engineer reports, including the shorthand. I'd love to see the last one from the broadband engineer who finally fixed it (I won't name him, he was a proper nut)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesome, I'm glad to hear the speed is stable and above target. Cool Looking back, if I remember correctly the issue with the line was a battery contact which usually causes intermittent/speed issues so it was probably a good thing that's resolved.

I'll action your refund first thing on Monday once I'm back in the office. As for your title, in my opinion it's honest and to the point so I personally like it.

One of the issues that caused the delay in getting a resolution was the response time of picking up fault tickets, as an update every few days can cause faults to drag on unfortunately. We are working to address this, though.

I'll certainly try to pass your feedback on to the right people, however, in regards to BT/Openreach management I believe there would be little we can do I'm afraid.

Engineer notes can be quite a fine art to decipher sometimes. I've not read the latest notes myself yet actually; I'll certainly drop them on your ticket on Monday for you to have a read.

Any problems or queries in the future please feel free to give me a nudge around here and I'll be happy to help.