cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before Plusnet put up their prices to follow big brother

bbx

Re: How long before Plusnet put up their prices to follow big brother

Yes they arrive at your home by magic. I think I should know as a Computer Science grad. It's BS that customers on broadband esp. fibre broadband are having to pay a line rental that they will never use for making or receiving calls. And your comments are playing into the BS lies that companies like BT are spinning you in order to maintain their high profit margins. With Virgin you can take broadband without paying a separate line fee. You cannot do that with the vast majority of broadband providers. Do some research before commenting. https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/why-pay-for-phone-line-rental-fibre-optic-broadband-bt-s...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Computer Science grad? That was a wasted education.

Your argument may have held water if FTTP was more prevalent.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bbx wrote:

I think I should know as a Computer Science grad

Really?  Well sadly you did not learn very much then - seems you wasted your time and study fees.  I have a degree in Physics and Electronics and 35 years experience in IT, some of it spent in telecoms, so I think I know at least a little more than you do.

In order for you to receive a broadband service (other than by wireless services) there needs to be some kind of physical connection to your home,  Generally (out of history) it is called a "phone" line.  Regardless of what it is actually used for, it still needs to be provided, maintained* and paid for.  Given that most "broadband" services are (from a commercial perspective) are just about given away, then just how do you expect the cost of broadband only lines to be charged for?

What is really required is re-education of individuals such as yourself along with a renaming of what you are paying for.  As I have advocated before, there should be 3 charges - 1) Service access line, 2) Telephone (voice) service access and 3) Broadband (data) access service.

Spin this however you want, you cannot get access to broadband without there being something called a 'line' (be that called a phone line or whatever) unless you use a communal WiFI service or some other (4G) form of wireless infrastructure ... where you'll find the cost per MByte significantly higher.  One way or another YOU need to pay for that infrastructure.

*Note that with the exception of FTTP services, end to end testing of the service can only be carried out over the "phone" line.  Even though you may have FTTC and not use the 'phone' services, the e-side copper circuit is still required for line testing and maintenance activity.  One can understand why you might wish that things were different, but the rules of physics do not change on the whim of a Computer Science Grad.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As pointed out elsewhere thanks @SpendLessTime  https://www.plus.net/#priceChange2016 - you now know - and the really sneaky bit as far as I am concerned is the replacement (for new customers) of weekend and anytime calls by ones incl mobiles at higher costs

In my case - on Anytime Calls - an extra £1.50 per month

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As you've alluded to, the new packages are not being pushed on to existing customers (unless you want to take them), however the current phone packages won't be available for new signups.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
scoobydoo1
Grafter

end of the day its yet another price hike for new customers,

and more profit for plusnet.

by removing the existing customers call plans option to New customers, it in effect forces new customers who currently have call plans with other companys, to sign up to plusnets more EXPENSIVE call plans who have no intrest in mobile calls

oh and by the way, thanks for locking my thread, "price hikes due 1st sept" even tho I opened that thread BEFORE the official announcement lol

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

.., you cannot get access to broadband without there being something called a 'line' ...

To diverge slightly it is sometimes possible to get the line free of charge and reduced cost calls. I once arranged a free fibre optic internet connection with reduced call costs for one of my clients in the City of London, but I should add in the interests of fairness this package was for a 30 voice line package supporting 50 traders with many international calls. Very different from a domestic phone/internet service where the telecoms company needs to recover infrastructure, sales, marketing and management cost overheads. A line fee is reasonable.

I heard by the grapevine that a couple of years later the BT Salesman had persuaded my old clients to revert to a standard business package. It must have been a nice lunch, but a terrible shock when the bill arrived three months later.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Chris
Legend

As touched on over on the previous thread, we do generally withdraw products from sale when we launch new ones. This keeps the portfolio easier to manage and creates less confusion during the signup process.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Chris I assume everyone will be getting an email in due course ( when will these begin to be sent?) , with how the price rise affects them. with the usually 30 day notice ?

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

Yes, the notifications will be done in batches giving at *least* 30 days notice of when the relevant change affects them.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

As always massive inflation busting price hikes 

Massive increase in Geographic call charges of 25.4% from 10p to 12.54p per min 

Massive increase in call set up fee of 18.5% from 16p to 19p

A one min phone call on PN to a geographical number is going to cost £ 0.31.54 pence 

That's over 10 times more than its is on Three pay as you go at £0.03 pence 

Anyone who does not have a call plan or use the phone enough to have one, will be better off getting a Three sim.

Regards
Mike

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@ITWorks

It's only 10.5 times more expensive to be fair, 3p x 10.5 = 31.5p on 3 Mobile, 31.54p on Plusnet for the same less than 1 minute call

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

SpendLessTime thanks for spotting my error , more coffee needed i think Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Or less, as the caffeine can make your brain do funny things Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding cancellation charges I am confused to put it mildly in relation to with and without phone

Compare these two - before and after 1st September

2016-06-27_183131.jpg2016-06-27_183321.jpg