How about offering a decent Anti virus product

http://www.av-test.org/certifications.php
McAfee couldn't get certified.
I'm staying with Kaspersky
19 REPLIES 19
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: How about offering a decent Anti virus product

Good point Jim, Why pass out something that cant even be certified? Not good, Not good at all, I stick with Avira.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
smiffyb36
Grafter

Something is better than nothing
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Promote MSE That Is better than nothing, To say Mcafee Is better than nothing Is asking for trouble Roll_eyes
Edit, Actually MSE Did not get certified either, @Oldjim It also should be noted the latest test results (certifications) are for XP.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
smiffyb36
Grafter

Maybe i'm missing something then....
I'd assume having McAfee (i don't know about security) even though it is 'clunky' would be better than being unprotected?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That wasn't the point of the post.
As Plusnet want to charge me £24 per year for an inferior product and I can buy Kaspersky 3 user license for £22.96 http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_32?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kaspersky+intern... why could they have offered a top flight product for the same price
matt_2k34
Grafter

Kaspersky isnt "easy to use"
you have to remember PN has gone after the"i send an email once a fortnight" market with its cheap broadband products.
Go back 5/6 years you would have more than likely been given a better product.
Its also quite possible that McAffee is very cheap for plusnet to get - because McAffee is willing to strip down its product, and allow it to be resold as a 'cut down' AV product.
I thought (i may be wrong) that the AV PN provides could go on up to 5 machines.. which would make it better value than your Kaspersky OldJim.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually Kaspersky since at least 2010 and possibly earlier has been very easy using the default install - I use the ask every time version but one of my referrals who is in the "I haven't a clue" category uses it without problems
David_W
Rising Star

I use Kaspersky but not sure I would recommend it to a total novice.  Lots of programmes pick up a false positive on keylogging or other nasty stuff.  For instance, Final Fantasy XI (MMORPG) Kaspersky shouts out about a keylogger, which would be really bad news, except it's just the way the programme runs, the same with Fedora installer to USB thingy, or QT, probably lots of other stuff too would fire up that false positive.  I know to ignore it but a novice may think they are infected with something and get in touch with PlusNet who'll have to offer support for the product they are selling.
I would however fully recommend Kaspersky to non-novice users, so maybe give a choice?  You can get a single licence OEM from Aria for about £12 so getting hold of OEM from Kaspersky would prove to be very cheap (even for the 3 licence version).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I use Kaspersky but not sure I would recommend it to a total novice

I believe this is one of the factors that pushed us towards using Mcafee.
With regards to Mcafee more specifically, has anyone that is reading or has replied to this post used it yet and have any feedback for us?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
David_W
Rising Star

It's not even an option for me (oddly)....
Plusnet Protect is not currently available on your account
You can add it to your account by visiting the Add-Ons tool.

Currently there are no Add-Ons available for your account.
Keep checking here for new Add-Ons, as-and-when they become available.

Plusnet Premier Option 1.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

David W,
I'll look into this as according to the FAQ info we posted it's not available on all account types and if this applies to you we should not have sent you that message.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

According to the website information here protect is available on all accounts - though for some products it costs £2 per month. See attachments.
However for my (legacy) PAYG standard account I get the "no add-ons are available" message.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sounds like a problem in that case, I'll go ahead and get this raised.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

FAO  David W,
Could you please send me a PM with your username as I need to gather a couple of details from your account to allow me to raise a problem.
Thanks.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team