Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about introducing a system for giving members a copy of the phone book

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How about introducing a system for giving members a copy of the phone book

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4209173-re-phone-book.html
My friend got a reply from Plusnet. Essentially what Plusnet said is that whilst they probably could order a phone book at no extra cost for customers via Openreach under Plusnet's contract with Openreach for WLR, they don't have the systems in place to action this, so they can't do it. Since the terms of the Plusnet line rental contract don't stipulate receipt of a Phone Book, there doesn't seem much else that can be done.
40 REPLIES 40
gswindale
Grafter

Re: How about introducing a system for giving members a copy of the phone book

Who actually wants/needs a phone book these days though?
I cannot remember the last time I've used either the Phone Book or Yellow Pages to look for a number!
I believe the BT website can search the phone book for you if you need to.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I obviously don't know who from Plusnet made that statement, but suspect this wasn't escalated to someone that knew about such matters.
The receipt of a Phone Book should be automatic if your line rental is via BT WLR, in other words any CP/ISP using BT's WLR. I believe it's also true even when someone is LLU. There should also be a mechanism for being removed from receiving one if a customer so chooses.
I have my line rental with Plusnet and get regular annual phone books with no problem.
I also know of lines with other CPs using WLR that get annual phone books.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Prior to joining Plusnet in Jan I've been on Virgin Media broadband and using VOIP for phone calls for a couple of years - I still got a copy of the phone book...
shadow4dog
Grafter

I certainly still want and use the local phonebook. It concerns me that I've changed my phone provider to Plusnet on the assumption that their services were broadly similar to BT and now I'm not able to get at BT phonebook from a BT retail organisation!?
While I agree that for many inquiries the internet can help but occasionally the internet stops working (Friday evening springs to mind). Having a phone book at that time would be beneficial.
David_W
Rising Star

I'm in a block of apartments (6 of them) and last week 6 phone books appeared under the mailboxes.  There are currently still 6 phone books currently underneath the mailboxes  Crazy
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From the BT website:
Q. What if my telephone service is not provided by BT?

A. If your telephone service is not with BT and the annual delivery has finished, there will be a charge of £10 if you want to purchase a Phone Book from BT, alternatively you can contact your own service provider, who may be able to provide you with your local Phone Book free of charge.

The implication if this is that the updated Phone Book is delivered to all addresses in an area as a batch.  If you missed out then you'll need to pay for one or arrange something with your provider.
I have no recollection of a Phone Book ever being specifically addressed to me - It just arrives along with the (rest of the) junk mail...
Anotherone
Champion

@shadow4dog
There should be no problem at all.
I'm not sure why the person referred on TBB has had a problem as there is insufficient information there. Judging by the latest posts on there, the person has been incorrectly advised by a couple of CSC agents. Perhaps Oliver341should advise his friend to come and post over here.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Perhaps we should just wait for the official comment
MightyMouse
Grafter

I've been with Plusnet for 4 or 5 years now, & prior to that with NTL.
I still get the phone book  & yellow pages , no problem
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our Provisioning teams used to place a 'low volume request' on WLR2 (the old Openreach interface) but this functionality doesn't exist now that we're on WLR3. As far as we know, we're not obliged to provide phone books for customers.
Customers are free to order direct from BT:
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/phone-book-finder.html#top
HTH Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Not really
So how does Plusnet interpret http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ga-scheme/general-conditions/general-conditions-guidelines... part (c) Condition 8
Condition 8 requires providers to ensure that end users can access operator assistance services and directory enquiry services. Providers which allocate phone numbers to customers must also ensure that those customers are supplied, on request, with a directory of phone numbers for all customers which have been allocated a number in that local area (except for customers which have asked not be included in a directory). Providers must also make available directories containing the numbers of customers of any providers in any other area.

My bold
James
Grafter

I don't know the answer, but it doesn't state that the directory can't be an online one.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've flagged this at high level to check our approach, I'll also pop an email to our WLR3 intermediary to see if they can provide any further information. I'll post back as soon as I have any further info!
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks Ben & James.