Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move disaster

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: House move disaster

Quote from: Anotherone
You were however given misleading information when your connection was initially working at 2Mbps. That is the default on 20CN for the first 48hrs IIRC, not for the whole of the training period.

When I moved to this house the phone and broadband had been off for a couple of weeks or so. We had a simultaneous provide via the Plusnet home move (it may have been made easier as the phone is with BT and I got the SIM provide code from BT before contacting Plusnet). The broadband was connected at 8Mbps on 20CN from the first day. My suspicion for anyone provisioned at 2Mbps on 20CN is Plusnet incompetence.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The sync maybe at max speed for the line capability jelv, but the Profile is limited to 2Mbps at the bRAS by RAMBo - nothing to do with Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just searched back to see if I had any speed tests results from when I moved - the closest was 5 days after which proves nothing!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SonicScot
Grafter

Today is the day the engineer will (hopefully) fix the problem, he's been here for an hour but he's having difficulties.
I haven't been able to get beyond the admin login page of the router for weeks, he's having the same trouble. Now he's on the phone to someone, explaining what is happening and looking for an answer.
I'm not feeling very optimistic  Undecided
SonicScot
Grafter

So, it's turns out that there's been a software issue. Either BT or Plusnet changed some settings somewhere and didn't tell the other about it. Apparently it should be fixed in about 15 minutes, but I'm counting no chickens yet....  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sonic,
Happy New Year - so glad to learn that a resolution is in sight.

@CRT,
It is somewhat disappointing that after several question asked by myself and PMs to a number of people before Christmas, this one has panned out much as I suspected as a configuration issue NOT really REQUIRING a field engineer visit.  Why could this not be sorted out back around 20th December?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SonicScot
Grafter

The engineer used his equipment to go through the basic line tests, found everything was ok and tried to log in to the router. He had the same problem as me ie it was impossible. So he called someone (no idea who) and asked for some help, the person he called spotted a settings issue and changed something. He was told things would be fixed in 15 minutes but, half an hour later, still no broadband. He called someone else (Plusnet I think) and explained what was going on, ten minutes later we're golden.
Fingers crossed it will stay this way.
Five and a half weeks and five different engineers  Crazy
SonicScot
Grafter

I'd just like to add a a huge thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread, I'm very grateful for your advice and technical know-how.
Hopefully my broadband will be fine from now on. Plusnet have offered a small compensation/apology deal, it covers the monetary loss but not the stress and inconvenience I endured. I haven't yet decided what to do about it but I doubt it would be worthwhile or beneficial to fight for anything more.
Thanks everyone  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sonic,
You are welcome.  I hope that things remain stable for you.  I always work on the basis that if you do not ask, you will certainly not know!
That is one of the reasons I ask so many questions, I hope always in a reasonable manner.  I really would like to understand more clearly what was wrong with your service so that I can learn from it and recognise a similar situation when it presents.  As stated back before Christmas, I was not convinced that this was a line or kit issue, rather some aspect of the service configuration.  At the moment the answer sounds like silence!
Best wishes,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SonicScot
Grafter

Kevin,
I was hoping to get a detailed answer from the engineer about this but he was quite vague when giving the reason for it. I suspect the issue wasn't sufficiently explained to him by whoever found the problem (I think it was a BT chap he was talking to). I too would like to know exactly what caused this but I doubt I'll ever find out. The engineer was keen not to point a finger at the culprit, he said it could be BT or Plusnet at fault, but someone changed software settings without telling the other party. The actual fix was seconds in the making but we were told to wait 15 minutes for it to take effect, when 20 minutes passed with no joy at our end the engineer had to call Plusnet for them to tweak something from their own end. Finally, we were done.
I'm just glad it's all over  Smiley
Thanks again.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I'm glad it's all working now. Sounds like whatever was wrong, I suspect a circuit ID got changed and then consequently Plusnet had to reconfigure something their end.