cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - no resolution over 3 months, only extra charges

arisym

House Move - no resolution over 3 months, only extra charges

Never thought I'd be posting here in this manner, but this is not something I should keep quiet about.
About halfway through July this year, I have had to move house to a rented apartment in a new complex (Trinity Village in Bromley). Having been a loyal customer of Plusnet for several years beforehand, I was quite happy to move the service.  Biggest mistake of the year.
I was assured that the process would be smooth and I should be connected as soon as possible. However, the first red flag came up when it was made apparent that the new property did not have a working phone line. Talking to support revealed that BT were still waiting for confirmation from the builders that site work has been completed (contrary to what property managers were saying, but that's another story).
Two months of barely any updates later and several calls to support, some engineers finally showed up at the property to install the new line. That's when the problems started piling up for real. I had to take several days off work to babysit Openreach engineers as they tinkered with both internal and external lines all the way to the exchange. Red flags all around at this point. Still, I persevered.
After what seems like countless calls for updates, excuses and being put on hold, I have finally received confirmation the the line has been switched on last week. Only, I never once saw the Internet light on the router go green. I've exhausted all options trying to troubleshoot the problem, but nothing changed. Talking to tech support revealed that no connection could be made from their end.
So my patience finally ran out and I called to cancel under the legal right to do so within 14 days of line activation. Being suddenly treated with what seemed like contempt and dismissal, I was slapped with an increase of the originally stated cessation charges. They claimed the new line has been "activated" and the contract has thereby been renewed. When I pointed to the fact that I've been still paying them via direct debit while the move was taking place (something they assured me would be refunded), I was met with only silence.
Is this the award-winning service that's being advertised everywhere? Is this really the way a public company that strives on keeping their customers satisfied should behave? I am appalled and frustrated beyond measure.
I will be raising a dispute over this with proper authorities, as Plusnet have failed to deliver on their end of the contract by charging me for a service that failed to materialise. I believe I have been more than reasonable in waiting for issues to be resolved, but this has dragged on long enough.
You have well and truly lost all my faith in you, Plusnet  Angry
TL;DR If you're moving house to a property without a working phone line, DO NOT go with Plusnet (or any other BT-reliant providers, for that matter).
10 REPLIES 10
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: House Move - no resolution over 3 months, only extra charges

I have every sympathy with you having also moved in to a new build at the beginning of September this year. The order for the move was placed on August 24 and I still don't have a line! However the problem is entirely down to Openreach and it is irrelevant who you personally are dealing with. There are 3 other properties who are also waiting, all dealing with different providers. One has now canceled, although ironically they were with BT! They have now gone to Sky but of course will still wait like the rest of us while Openreach ignores us all!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi arisym,
I'm really sorry to hear about the delays with the line install and completely understand how this might deter you from wanting to deal with any other issues with this that have since come along.
When I pointed to the fact that I've been still paying them via direct debit while the move was taking place (something they assured me would be refunded),

Yes, we can either give you this back or apply it as credit to future months if you decided to stay with us.
I called to cancel under the legal right to do so within 14 days of line activation

Just to clarify the cooling off period is actually within 14 days of signup.
Moving forward I can see that broadband is active but unfortunately there's a fault, however I'm confident we can get this resolved for you. This may just require an engineer visit and I'm wondering if this is something you'd be willing to accommodate?
If it helps I can take ownership and try to arrange a Saturday appointment for this (if that helps your situation). This is not something that's guaranteed but I'm happy to try for you.
Again, I'm really sorry things have been a let down so far but I'm confident I can get this turned around for you within a few days and make sure we credit you appropriately.
@custos
I'll I can see the review date with Openreach for your installation is tomorrow so I've set myself a reminder to make sure we get this chased straight up for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@custos
I've just chased for an update for you.
Our suppliers are still awaiting for the line plant work to be completed. We've been advised to check again for updates on the 16th.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
custos
Aspiring Pro

In My case Adam, the 'plant work' outstanding is to dig a small hole to gain access to a blocked duct.BTOR was aware of the blockage many weeks ago but have not.even started the work yet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@custos
I can see an engineer has been assigned to this in the past hour so I hope this leads to a move in the right direction.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
custos
Aspiring Pro

I am not sure what  'an engineer' is going to do Adam, unless he comes equipped with a pickaxe! Nobody has been anywhere near the site for many weeks and until the duct is cleared the final short length of cable can't be laid between one side of the road and the other. BTOR knew that the duct was blocked mid September and this was confirmed by an engineer weeks ago. Nothing has changed!
arisym

Just to clarify the cooling off period is actually within 14 days of signup.

You might want to amend the product change confirmation email template (which I got on the 29th October), as it currently says:
When you agreed your product change, you accepted that you have up to 14 days from tomorrow to cancel your order. Plusnet Protect must be kept for at least 30 days.

Regardless, I have now received a cheque refunding undue direct debit payments, and my account has been closed. For this, at least, I am grateful.
I fully understand that you were trying to sort things out, but the resolution had dragged on long enough.
In the end, most of my issues fell somewhere between the original builders of the property and BTOR. As a result, I'm not so much angry, as just disappointed that moving into a new build in 2015 can leave you stranded with no connection for months on end.
It is a shame that most British ISPs rely on the outdated BT infrastructre, as we could certainly use a bit more healthy competition to speed the improvements along.
norfolkngood

I moved house on 25th November. I decided to go with Plusnet............perhaps the biggest mistake I have made. I signed up some two and a half weeks before the moving date in the vain hope that it would all be up and running by the time I moved in.
The engineer turned up when expected.  I then received an email that my order was complete.  Well it would have been had the router turned up.  It was promised 3 days after signing up.  It did not arrive.  I then received an email to state that the router had been updated at no extra cost to me. The only problem is that the upgraded router has not turned up either.  I have tried phoning customer services but even at 7.30 Saturday morning, you are left listening to crap music for 40 minutes +. All I can say is that Plusnet must have many disgruntled customers.  I certainly would not recommend them.
modboy

I only started this move process yesterday. I've read all of this thread. They've increased my monthly and I don't really see what are my benefits. I could go with someone new as I'm out of contract. They'll do it all free anyway and I won't be tied to a long 18 month contract.

I'm cancelling the contract they put me on yesterday. My new flat is also undergoing renovations and I don't even know it has a phone line. Thanks for the warning.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @modboy,

Bit of an odd thread to bump here Grin

It's odd in your circumstance, as you have been paying less, by an error on our part. £22.49 should be the actual price of fibre only without phone. We'd be able to reduce this for you if you wanted to take phone out with us, though I presume that this will have been discussed over the phone.

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet