cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopefully, not a sign of things to come........

Smufter
Dabbler

Hopefully, not a sign of things to come........

New member here. Just in the process of joining Plusnet from Sky.
Placed my order last week, and was given two preferred dates for activation, Monday 11th Feb or Monday 18th Feb.
Was a little delayed in getting my mac code from Sky, finally managed to get it yesterday and phoned Plusnet to give them the details.
30 minutes on hold, finally got through to somebody and passed the information on. Came to discussing activation dates, and with the five day delay in getting my mac code I was quite prepared to accept that the 11th was now going to be a non starter, but wanted to confirm the 18th. I work 6 days a week and need to make sure I book the day off.
Another 10 minutes on hold and then told the earliest this can happen is 6th March!
I was a bit annoyed last night (although I kept my cool) mainly because I had been on the phone for a total of 45 minutes to do something that should have taken maybe 10 at most? And a 5 day delay in getting a mac code pushes my activation date back about 4 weeks?Huh
Not the end of the world as I will have my Sky connection until then, but the reason I am leaving Sky is because of the terrible support.
I logged a complaint with them about 10 days ago, was promised an engineers call back to discuss and I'm still waiting!
Ho hum.

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Hopefully, not a sign of things to come........

welcome to the forums Smufter Smiley
unfortunately PN, like most ISPs, are beholden to the dates that BT Openreach give them for appointments - not much comfort I know but it would be the same for anywhere else you went - aside from Virgin.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Smufter
Dabbler

Appreciate the welcome Dvorak.... Wink
Not too fussed on the revised date if I'm honest. As I say, I'm not without broadband so in the overall scheme of things it's not an issue.
But I was more annoyed about the fact that it took me 30 minutes to actually talk to somebody, and then spending another 15 after that trying to sort two simple things out left me feeling a bit "shell shocked". lol!
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

In future you can see here for the call centre to see how long the wait is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Look on the bright side, at least when you did get through you were speaking to someone you could understand, even if they did have a Yorkshire accent.  Roll_eyes
From personal experience, once you are connected you'll appreciate both the product & the excellent customer support. The information & support from this forum alone is most impressive.
Smufter
Dabbler

Yeah I did appreciate the fact that I could understand what she was saying..............just!  Wink
5 years with AOL a while back fair did my head in..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks very much for choosing us and welcome to the forums, I'm really sorry the install date is so far away. I'll ask our provisioning team to see if there's any way we can bring that forward but I strongly doubt there will be - we'll see what we can do though.
mikko
Grafter

Same thing (re the dates) happened to me. Apparently, no dates can be confirmed until after PN have your MAC. Any dates given before no longer apply. I should have got my MAC first then gone to the PN web site to sign up - then the dates they gave would have been valid.
James
Grafter

Smufter
Apologies for the amount of time that you had to wait in the queue.  We're going through a really busy patch at the moment (and that stupid snow hasn't helped).  I can assure you that we have plans (both extra automation and extra recruiting) ongoing to ensure that our customers don't have to wait too long whilst trying to contact us.
Welcome aboard Smiley
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

5 years with AOL a while back fair did my head in.

I am also a refugee from AOL's tyranny, that's why I appreciate PN even more. As an example just note the fact that PN staff members have already taken time to respond to you on this forum.
Smufter
Dabbler

Duly noted Tijara.
Thanks for the welcome all. March 6th will come quick enough. No problems
Smufter
Dabbler

I had to chuckle this afternoon......
Received my "thanks for choosing us" letter from PN.
"Once you've given us your MAC key, we can start moving your broadband to Plusnet within 5 days. There won't be any disruption to your service and, in about 5 to 7 days, your broadband service should be ready to use"
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink
Smufter
Dabbler

Well it's goodbye from me before I've even started.
My broadband was supposed to be going live the day after tomorrow. Worried that I hadn't received my new router yet, I contacted the order update line tonight to find out what was going on.
After yet another eternity waiting on the phone for an answer (I've had that on all 3 occasions that I've had to ring in the past) I found out that due to an oversight on the automated system, my router hasn't been despatched and wont get here for the engineers visit. So what would have happened on Wednesday when the engineer came a calling??? And what would have happened had I not phoned this evening????
Sod this for a game of soldiers. I'm sticking with Sky.
Plusnet were quick enough to take the money off my card when the sold me the service.
rja
Grafter

I'd be tempted to persevere as you're so close. The router doesn't necessarily work immediately when the engineer is there in any event. Mine didn't for 3 hours afterward. All the BT engineer does is plug it in. Their tests are of the line up to the modem they install.
If you have a laptop, or your computer is close enough, you can plug that into the modem while the engineer is there and test that the connection works. There are instructions for setting up a PPPoE connection on the Plusnet site.
Smufter
Dabbler

So can the engineer set everything up for me without the router being there so that I am ready to go when the router does turn up a couple of days later????
dick:quote