cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home move - I just knew it was going to be trouble!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Home move - I just knew it was going to be trouble!

...and it is even though I don't move until the end of the month.
At the moment I can't even place the order with Plusnet because I can't get a simultaneous provide code out of BT who provide my phone at the moment. I'm therefore starting to look at plan B which is to tell BT to sling their hook and get the phone from someone else.
If I do a home move I should be able get a simultaneous provide code from BT, give that to Plusnet and get phone and internet connected the same day. So if I were to cancel BT and order PN Home phone and a home move, could they both go live on the same day? Logically I can't see any difference.
The property we are going to is a rental property standing empty, there is a physical line present and BT have confirmed that it is a stopped line so activating it should be easy.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Home move - I just knew it was going to be trouble!

Unfortunately jelv it's not possible for us to place a sim order that involves the start of a stopped line for the PSTN side of the order. The reason for this is  that start orders tend to have a 24 hour lead time so we'd have to look at dealing with that first prior to the broadband order.
By all means give me a shout when you've raised the ticket to request the move and I'll make sure an experienced member of the provisioning team deals with the order for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
James
Grafter

John - Can you get BT to start the line now and then we can place a broadband order on it?
I'm guessing you're not moving in just yet which should give us a bit of time to get the broadband order placed?  They should be able to get the phone line started pretty quickly and then renumber it to your current number once that is stopped.  A renumber shouldn't have any impact on the broadband service if we activate the broadband servicve before BT renumber it.
The only downside is that BT might charge you for the renumber.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Existing house - Sussex
Rented house - Dorset
There's no renumber required!
James
Grafter

Sounds like a no brainer to get the start placed so that we can place a bb order for you then Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

During our house move, we were trying to go from <BT line> + <Plusnet fibre BB> into <PN Home Phone> + <PN fibre BB> using a simultaneous provide.
The system didn't want to do it. First it didn't want to accept a fibre order on the new line. Then, even having ordered the simultaneous provide (eventually), the BB component got rejected later. This too was a "stopped" line - but no-one mentioned the restriction on simultaneous provides.
If I'd known that this was the likely result, then I'd have gone for the phone line a week or 10 days earlier (easy, as the stopped line doesn't need an install visit), and then added the BB. Essentially what the guys are now suggesting...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Well, a full week after I tried to get the order raised with BT they finally provided me with a "MAC Code"* via a text message. A call to Plusnet to raise the home move confirmed that the number wasn't a MAC but a Simultaneous provide code and so the order was raised (10/10 for the way PN handled the call and order).
On the day at 14:51 I received a text message from BT to say the phone was ready and at 17:02 a text message from Plusnet to say the broadband was ready. It wasn't until the next day I could check it out and confirm all was well.
The official line is that the simultaneous order has to be placed a week before the move date. Given my experience I'd recommend that anyone wanting this should start the process off at least a fortnight before to make sure all is well.
The move I've made is from one 20CN exchange (although it has a WBC date set for July) to another 20CN exchange (with no WBC date), the Max Premium has carried across and although I am using an extension socket with a 2M flat extension lead as well (I know, I know!) I'm still getting a full 8128 sync with a 12db noise margin (better than before) and in nearly 24 hours have only logged 112 fastpath CRC errors. All in all - pretty painless.
* Comments on BT:
1) Taking a week at a time of the year when not a lot of people are moving and the housing market is flat is ridiculous! What's it like at a busy time?
2) Sending a message with a "MAC Code" is pretty bad given that it was a stock message and not one keyed by a droid is pretty bad.
3) We'll ignore the fact that they don't seem to know that the C in MAC stands for Code - plonkers!
If it wasn't for the fact that if the phone is faulty BT provide a free diversion to mobile there's no way they would be my phone provider!
Mav
Fixes: 514

Glad you got it all sorted.
Having had 4 house moves in the last 6 years I fully understand the stress of that alone, let alone organising a simultaneous provide. I think I must have been lucky as my last move before last involved a new line as well new number and all went smoothly with the line and new provide all happening on the same day by 11:30 Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

* Comments on BT:
1) Taking a week at a time of the year when not a lot of people are moving and the housing market is flat is ridiculous! What's it like at a busy time?

Some area of the UK are very busy for Openreach. East Anglia being one.
WWWombat
Grafter

Haven't BT only just cleared the MBORC in Scotland from early December? Or rather reported that it is still going on in a couple of places, but that they can't be bothered to send out any more reports.
I guess some places are busy. And maybe a few more after tonight's snow.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It wasn't the engineering side that caused the delay - it was the "back office" staff who took a week to even place the order with BTw! I don't think there would be any regional variation in that area.