Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we argh again- well not quite!

Dojomat
Grafter

Here we argh again- well not quite!

Hi all.
New problem:  My Sync speed has roughly halved. Well from 1700+ to 900+. Has been OK at 1700 giving a profile of 1500 with PN.
Noticed that I have experienced complete drop outs over the last week. Rebooting the router returned to NORMAL 1700+.
But now it won't.
Tried my spare router ( after the usual run around on last problem I have a spare of everything  Sad ) , this syncs slightly higher 1000+ but it always does.
Direct to socket so nothing else can affect it.
Internet etc. working but now at reduced profile.
Any ideas?    No use contacting Bt because they would just want you to take your trousers down  :o.
ALSO.   Looked at reducing costs since I can get a better deal on new package, product supplied is on broadbandplus, which is now obsolete.
However I saw the ADSL2+ deal which implies that it is available to me but on doing an online check it seems that the exchange isn't active yet.
Who's telling porkies?
Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Here we argh again- well not quite!

With those speeds you can forget ADSL2+ as you not only won't get an increase you might even get a reduction in speed.
If you are on a Market 3 exchange then Value would be a good option with a 10GB allowance
Dojomat
Grafter

Thanks OldJim
But my main problem is with getting the best out of what little speed I get. A reduction of 50%  is certainly noticeable when you only get 1500 Mbps profile normally..
Rebooted this morning still the same. I thought that perhaps weather etc was the problem but NO.
I know that my profile will only improve if I get consistantly higher sync rates.
It almost seem that this is a deliberate action by BT.
Anyone got any idea of how to progress this? Is it necessary to raise a ticket?
When I moved 18 months ago I managed to sync at 2200 (With stable internet)  but it has deteriorated to around 1000 sync. over the last 4 - 6 months.
Cheers
Dojomat
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking back at your connection logs, your line is dropping out quite frequently.
You should have already been asked these questions when you raised the fault ticket, however can you just confirm the following:
The router is in your master socket.
You aren't using any extension leads.
Every telephone socket in use is filtered.
There is no noise on the phone line when you use a single handset plugged into the test socket (behind the master socket faceplate).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dojomat
Grafter

Hi Chris
New NTE5 socket fitted by BT recently. Thats another expensive story.
No extension leads of any sort.
Filter checked, changed etc to phone. Also had phone disconnected totally.
Have checked and rechecked router by exchange. ( i have 2 working units)
My stats have not changed since 2 years ago except for my sync speed which is now around 1000 Mbps.
See first post.
Has been most recently stable at approx 1700 Mbps (netgear dgn2000) which gave me 1500 download speeds. I would be happy with this all things considered.
I have been monitoring with Routerstats and there have been regular dips in the noise margin. This is not local QRM as I have made sure there is nothing local that can affect it eg heating , stats, phones etc. I have not seen it drop out altogether whilst using the computer.
I have re-booted my router several times in the last week to try and obtain higher sync but no joy.
Reply on the ticket from PN says you are turning on interleaving. IT IS ALREADY ON!
Please try turning it OFF!!!!
I have run all sensible tests to ensure the problem doesn't lie my side of the BT socket.
If there are any others you wish me to do, please let me know.
Regards
Chris
Legend

The line is much much more stable, the current connection has been up for One Day, 14:24:58 (on going).
Now that it's stable, we can raise the fault as an LTB (Low Threshold Breach). Basically your router is syncing below the Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) for your line.
I've raised the fault to our suppliers this morning for you and will let you know as soon as we have more information.
Until the low sync is resolved, I'd suggest leaving interleaving on as we don't want to potentially introduce a dropping connection into the mix.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dojomat
Grafter

Hi All
Progress - not a lot but BT are attending next week (WED) to check the line.
Tried to arrange for  this week but PN weren't able to contact me! (would probably have been today)
Anyway I have not been able to sync above 1024 for a few weeks now. Done all the usual tests and checks.
Arranged BT and wouldn't you know it the sync rate went up from 1000 to 1400 yesterday!!
Of note is that the download noise has gone from 9dB to 6dB. Therefore improving the sync speed?
I believe this can only be done at the exchange card but doesn't this just mask a line fault?
Anyway will let BT attend next week to give their opinion.
Cheers
Chris
Legend

Hopefully the engineer visit will get to the bottom of the issues you've been seeing. I'll keep an eye on this thread too.
Dojomat
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
Keeping fingers crossed and hopeful that it can be resolved.
regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dojomat,
Just a quick note to say the engineer visit is still booked in for the 17th, this Wednesday.