Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello from soon to be ex Tiscali customer

farnorth
Grafter

Hello from soon to be ex Tiscali customer

Hi All
Am joining Plusnet after being right royally shafted by Tiscali/TalkTalk. For years I've been on a 512k unlimited usage connection with Tiscali, quite happy with that as I live 4.5 miles from the exchange and have a signal loss of about 65Db. They did try to push 1Mb down at first but connection was very flakey, so capped the speed at 512k.
Ah now, TalkTalk have taken over and changed my package to 8Mb and upped the price from £9.99 per month to £19.99, I wouldn't mind if I could get more speed but I know the line won't physically take it.
Rang to complain about the change and asked to be put back to my old 512k-£9.99 a month deal, sorry can't do that the £19.99 is for the upgrade. I tried to explain that it was of no use to me whatsoever, and was simply told that's it (like it or lump it), the only deal they do now.
Asked for a MAC had it within the hour signed up to Plusnet straight away, hope the change goes smoothly.
29 REPLIES 29
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Hello from soon to be ex Tiscali customer

Welcome to the forum and PN farnorth. Smiley
Kitz speed calc suggests you could get 1632kbps but only time will tell.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
farnorth
Grafter

If I could get that it would be amazing, for me that is, I have never had anywhere near that speed. Even though Tiscali put me up to the 8Mb package my router only reports 800 to 890Kb connection, dropping to 730 or so. Grin
farnorth
Grafter

Just had a look at the Kitz thing. Put in the line attenuation 63.5dB and it comes up with a line length of 4.6 k. My line is at least 4.5 MILES long cos' that's how far we are from the exchange and the line doesn't go straight it loops all over the place. So maybe those speeds are a pipe dream for me. Cry
farnorth
Grafter

Hi again
Just had an email that's confused me a little.
We are pleased to announce that we have ordered the broadband line
activation for your account. Overall, this process normally takes
5 to 10 working days. We will send an email to your PlusNet email
address once your line is activated
and
Please note: you will not be able to connect with us until you
receive our confirmation email, even if the hardware appears to be
active.
If my current connection to Tiscali is terminated when I go over to Plusnet, how will I get the email to say my line is now activated?
paulpicks21
Grafter

I got a text message from plusnet as well as an email to say mine had been activated.
So assuming you gave them a mobile number then I would expect you to get a text as well.
farnorth
Grafter

Unfortunately mobiles don't work hereabouts, it has it's drawbacks living here. We can't get terrestrial tv have to pay for Sky or we wouldn't have tv.
dick:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If your connection from Tiscali ends, just try plugging the router we sent in. It should set itself up and you'll be able to connect once the line is active.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
scootie
Grafter

this is what i get from a zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 on 63db atten, my dg834g v4 syncs much lower even on the same NM. this zyxel seems to be fixed to a 6db NM where i have to fix the netgear's NM my self and that syncs at best 1500.
i perfer the netgear for setup options but this zyxel kicks butt on super long lines
noise margin downstream: 6 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 63 db
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 1952 kbps (during day i can get upto 2200 but dosent tend to hold over night)
farnorth
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
If your connection from Tiscali ends, just try plugging the router we sent in. It should set itself up and you'll be able to connect once the line is active.

Got my own router. So basically when the Tiscali connection stops just put in Plusnet settings and I should be ok?
Many thanks for the quick reply, very refreshing!
farnorth
Grafter

Quote from: Asbo
this is what i get from a zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 on 63db atten, my dg834g v4 syncs much lower even on the same NM. this zyxel seems to be fixed to a 6db NM where i have to fix the netgear's NM my self and that syncs at best 1500.
i perfer the netgear for setup options but this zyxel kicks butt on super long lines
noise margin downstream: 6 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 63 db
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 1952 kbps (during day i can get upto 2200 but dosent tend to hold over night)

Netgear DG8345G V5
At the moment my router gives
Line attenuation  63.5 db
Noise margin  6.5 db
Connection speed 832 kbs downstream
No idea how you set the NM manually
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't think you can with the v5
farnorth
Grafter

Anything else aside I don't think the v5 is as good as the earlier ones. My v3 never gave a moments trouble 'till a lightning strike nearby took it out, literally blew bits off the board. This has some weird little traits.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If my current connection to Tiscali is terminated when I go over to Plusnet, how will I get the email to say my line is now activated?

I have a PAYG Dial Up account with "nippy internet", so that if my broadband goes down, or I am in a location that does not have wireless broadband connection,(e.g. hotel/guest house/rented holiday accomodation)  I can still access the internet, albeit  v e r y    s l o w l y....!
scootie
Grafter

your v5 seems to be all ready syncing with a 6db maybe 9db NM all ready. even when i force the v4 netgear to use 6db just like the post office suppiled zyxel seems to be doing auto, the netgear still syncs at least 500kbps less than the zyxel.
i was reading a article on routers tested on i think be connection's and zyxel's came out i think top for pushing the most sync out of a line, i will try and i find the article again
on the dg834g v4 i use the dgteam unoffical firmware as this enables the router to lose sync and resync with the self adjusted NM still, where routerstats and DMT tool dosent
http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
edit. was in fact able to matian the highest upstream sync with out losing to much downstream sync other annex m http://80.249.99.130/news/4144-how-fast-is-your-broadband-router.html