Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have PlusNet considered teaming up with Fon like BT do

henbane
Grafter

Have PlusNet considered teaming up with Fon like BT do

New Years suggestion:
Just wondered if PlusNet have considered teaming up with Fon as BT have been doing for some years.  Would give plusnet broadband users access to a wide WiFi network not just in the UK but also abroad.
100 REPLIES 100
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Have PlusNet considered teaming up with Fon like BT do

Hi, we did offer Openzone access a couple of years back (I forget how long) but it didn't really take off unfortunately so isn't really something we'll rush back to. If there's more interest shown though then it might well be given more serious consideration.
gswindale
Grafter

Hi Matt,
This is a good suggestion - particularly with the fact that more people now have WIFI enabled smart phones/tablets etc than they did when the Openzone access was available (I was still working in the town I live in then which dates it back 7+ years now!).
Apprentice
Grafter

+3
I agree that it is a good suggestion as there are now far more portable devices available that can make use of Wi-Fi
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

+4
Finguz
Grafter

+5
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

And another vote.
Like most other folk I have several portable wireless devices nowadays and I always have at least 1 with me when I'm out.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I also generally like this idea.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mayfly
All Star

and me..... Smiley
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Don't need or want it.
TORPC
Grafter

Heres my +10 vote
This is a great idea and hope many a person on PN will see the benefits of
Quote from: Matt
Hi, we did offer Openzone access a couple of years back (I forget how long) but it didn't really take off unfortunately so isn't really something we'll rush back to. If there's more interest shown though then it might well be given more serious consideration.

Lets hope this will take off and go viral Wink
pint
Aspiring Pro

I bought a Fonera a a few years ago, and its probably the best thing that appears to do nothing that I have bought, highlights so far include:
Being able to use a broadband wifi connection as a backup when some BT openreach people made a mess of a phone cabinet, breaking the door and fixing it with plastic bags whilst instaling some new fibre cabinets this resulted in a noisy line and unusuable broadband especialy after it rained ( see attached image)
Whilst being abroad being able to connect to Fon via a mobile and use skype /internet without roaming costs
being elsewhere and avoiding data charges.
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Add at least 3 votes from me and other colleagues on Plusnet! The one thing we miss since moving from BT...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Matt

There is one major difference Openzone offered by Plusnet was either a subscription or pay as you go. Fon/BTFON is free for BT or Fon users. I also have a Fonera for many years and I use Fon hotspots nearly on a daily basis and was using them in France over the Christmas period.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

itsme, Openzone was free with broadband accounts.  This gets my vote as I used Openzone quite a bit when it was offered.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.