cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough of this

toaster
Grafter

Had enough of this

Came over from  sky fibre on the expectation of better service  and a better deal.Wish I had not bothered. Ordered this a month ago and have been sent from pillar to post by customer service, promises of getting this resolved and would keep me updated at every stage by email or text, but Plusnet is just like every other company take your money and then it seems not to matter what happens. I was told it was Sky causing the problem then it is openreach and extra cabling needs to be done now told it will be a week until I get a date for my live line. I was on fibre with sky so surely the line and cabling is already there . But I am just another dumb customer  and shall be treated so.

Was told that if I throw in the towel that I would have the same problem with all the other providers as Openreach is the problem, so I am backed into a corner.

Given the choice I will never deal with Plusnet again and I certainly will not recommend them to anyone. I have never worked with a company that treats people like this.If any one has a problem with my services I would bend over backwards to correct the problem

I am still thinking of canceling 

Disgusted

74 REPLIES 74
oatesm
Dabbler

Re: Had enough of this

Ive moved over from SKY and can say Ive had nothing but problems with loss of connection poor download speeds even the Facebook loading issues on my i phones

If i don't get a satisfactory resolution I'm going to cancel due to not receiving a service i was promised.

Animegav
Dabbler

While I'm certainly not sticking up for PN I will mention that SKY use "their own" lines at the exchange so transferring to an Openreach dependant supplier takes longer and causes far more hassle as for some inexplicable reason a straight transfer of supply can't occur.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi @toaster,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Sad to hear of yet another problematic transfer-in from Sky - they do seem to be a difficult supplier to leave.  There have been numerous similar tales around here - nearly all of which start by Sky doing something which is "out-of-process" - initiated by either the customer or bad processing within Sky.

From the scant details you've provided it rather sounds as though the following has occurred...

• Instead of just allowing the normal gaining-provider-led take over of service process to run - SKY place a service cease order on the line - this could be because YOU told SKY you were leaving or SKY did not follow the process when Plusnet advised them of the intent to take over
  • Once a service cease order has been placed on a line, NO FURTHER ORDERS can be raised until the cease completes - BT Wholesale / BT Openreach will simply cancel the order
  • When the cease completes, the resources used by that line are released back to BTw / BTOR who will use them as they see fit - in some areas there is a dire shortage of fibre ports - a port released (as in a cease situation) can be allocated to any user very promptly

Note also that a SKY (LLU) line has to be physically re-connected to the BTOR services, though that can get fouled up, there is rarely a capacity issue.

Also a user telling SKY that they are leaving does create a marked risk of loosing the current phone number.  It is not all black and white and it is rarely entirely down the conduct of the new ISP - whoever they are.  However SKY do seem to be involved in a lot of difficult migrations to other ISPs.  It might not be that they are particularly bad at the process ... but more to do with the volume of people escaping them? Cool_smiley

As for bending over backwards, in my experience that is exactly what Plusnet do ... however if the issue is with the ONLY supplier of the last mile wires (BTOR) there is darned little Plusnet or any other ISP can do but stand and wait until BTOR resolve the issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

toaster
Grafter

It is all very well and good that you say that you are at the mercy of BTOR but I entered into a contract with Plusnet and Plusnet knew I was leaving Sky, so surely I should have been told about the difficulties that would be involved in leaving sky. Like I say I entered into a contract with Plusnet assuming that they were handling every thing. Basically at the end of the day there is no guarantee that Plusnet can provide what they are offering  if they are relying on another company , over whom they have no say or control,  doing the work for them.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is the way the telecoms industry is structured. BTOR supply the last mile services to all ISPs other than Virgin Media.

One question - did YOU tell Sky that you were leaving them?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

toaster
Grafter

Yes and they knew I was going to Plusnet. Its all very well to say that is the way it is, some one needs to do something about it instead of just putting up with poor service ,who ever it is. Surely PN should be taking action against BTOR  because of their poor service.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Ofcom defined process for migration is that the customer requests a new provider to take over service ... and then leaves the notification to the new supplier.

The customer advising their existing supplier that they are leaving will invoke service termination processes ... completely fouling up the gaining supplier led migration process.

The industry rules are set by Ofcom, not Plusnet or BT.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So you failed to follow the correct procedure, and it's now Plusnet's fault?

As it stands at the moment, Sky has most likely placed a cease on your line.  And no provider who uses the BTOR network will be able to place an order, until this completes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear things haven’t gone to plan @toaster
I’ll take a look at things tomorrow for you and I’ll report back.

Anoush
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
toaster
Grafter

Let's get something straight here I did follow the correct procedure I merely told sky that I would be taking my custom to plusnet as they would not give me a better deal, I did not cancel anything ( read what I wrote not read into what I wrote) so I called Plusnet and they did the rest so yes I have the right to blame Plusnet for me not having what they offered.
All the information given to me has all how BTOR, not termination by Sky, are the problem which brings it back to my original point that Plusnet have no control over when or if you are to get a service which only comes to light after you sign up and pay pay them.
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

"Let's get something straight here I did follow the correct procedure I merely told sky that I would be taking my custom to plusnet"

So you admit you did not follow the correct procedure, you should have left it to PN to just take over then you would have had a smooth transfer.

toaster
Grafter

If I were to tell PN at some time in the future that I am going to take my business elsewhere they are not going to start a cancellation order until I cancel my order are they? So I hardly think anyone else would. I did not receive any notice cancelation from Sky (Which by the way they need to notify me of) only notice of the request by PN to aquire the line.
Sorry to sound blunt and I mean no offence but if you do not know the facts of the or details of what happened then please do not build a story that suits your picture of the situation
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi toaster

The replies to this thread, from other PN customers, are based on previous reports here that Sky have ceased customers lines, when the customer has told Sky they are leaving.

I have seen many a frustrated ex Sky customer come on this forum and other forums to complain their transfer to another ISP has gone awry they are left with no broadband and they have lost their phone number etc.

I hope it has not happened to you but you are not the first and will not be the last 😞

This repeated issue is one of the reasons I will not use Sky as an ISP.

Regards

Richard

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This is another of the 'issues' that the SU's are discussing with PN in an attempt to find a satisfactory 'fix'.  Proving very difficult to detect reliable data to present a case though Embarrassed

M.