Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough of this awful service.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Had enough of this awful service.

I've had enough! It's as simple as that.
I don't use p2p (or even bother trying) because its so appallingly useless with slower than dial-up speeds and now you're screwing up FTP too. Come on, FTP is a protocol nearly every webmaster across the internet needs to maintain a website. If you can't even offer this successfully then you have a fundamental flaw in your business strategy.
Think about it... lots of people go online just to visit websites.... then theres lots of others who want to build those websites.
You don't see that and thats bad.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
16 REPLIES 16
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Had enough of this awful service.

Your account type is not designed for external FTP use. I'm currently on my way back from work so posting from my phone but when I'm online a little later I'll drop you a PM to explain your options in a bit more detail...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

Bob, broadband should still be able to offer better than dial-up its as simple as that.
Don't bother with the PM unless its got a MAC code.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

From here.
[quote author="Archived Plusnet product pages"]It is not suitable for binary Usenet, peer-to-peer, VPN, FTP or lots of music and video downloads. If you're an experienced user and you want to use these services you should choose Broadband Pay As You Go or Broadband Premier.
I can't get you a MAC key, you'll need to call our Customer Options Team for that although we could probably look at moving you to a more appropriate tariff that's a little more forgiving on external FTP transfers?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

Bob, get stuffed.
HTTP has now dropped to a crawl too. You just don't get it do you - You are unable to provide anything except offers of upgrades.
Frankly you can poke your offer where the sun doesn't shine because I can barely even browse the web now.
It doesn't matter how much you try to justify yourself your business is crap. Additionally even if the product isn't designed to prioritise ftp highly, it should still be better than dialup and guess what? - ITS WORSE!
You honestly think we're going to be held to ransom and forced to upgrade?
Keep it real.
Mark
Grafter

To be clear.
You chose a basic, entry level product which we made clear was not suitable for FTP and some other protocols. We can and will work with you to find a product more suited to your needs. there are other products which will allow you to use the protocols you clearly need.
I dont see how anyone is holding you to ransom. We offer a choice and your usage needs have clearly changed and we're happy to accomodate you to facilitate that change.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@okrzynska
Your attitude to a member of Plusnet staff who is trying to offer help and advice is not acceptable.
Please try to calm down.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MauriceC
Resting Legend

@okrzynska
I'm one of the first to jump in where I believe Plusnet has it wrong, but in this case it seems that you have not fully taken on board the parameters of the product offering that you are currently on.  Bob and Mark are trying to be helpful and assist you to select a better option for what you want to achieve - try listening rather than shouting?
Take a look here at product performance comparison data that has been available for  a long time and has been pointed at many times to assist other users. 
I hope you can calm down and listen.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mark
To be clear.
You chose a basic, entry level product which we made clear was not suitable for FTP and some other protocols. We can and will work with you to find a product more suited to your needs. there are other products which will allow you to use the protocols you clearly need.
I dont see how anyone is holding you to ransom. We offer a choice and your usage needs have clearly changed and we're happy to accomodate you to facilitate that change.

No you made it clear it was really designed for that sort of use but it should still be usable. Even so it should still be better than dialup and that is the very point you are missing.
Not everyone has limitless amounts of cash you know and now the recession is here those in the private sector who can't keep customers happy are going to be in for a rough ride.
To be frank however I can just about live with FTP as long as it at least reaches 5KBps but when http drops dead too you know that your ISP has a massive undeniable problem.
What I also fail to understand is the p2p policy when most folk with half a brain cell can simply download music and videos from youtube. No need for slow p2p just a direct download via http. Perhaps THAT is why you are killing your customers http access?
Get with it PN.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: MauriceC
@okrzynska
I'm one of the first to jump in where I believe Plusnet has it wrong, but in this case it seems that you have not fully taken on board the parameters of the product offering that you are currently on.  Bob and Mark are trying to be helpful and assist you to select a better option for what you want to achieve - try listening rather than shouting?
Take a look here at product performance comparison data that has been available for  a long time and has been pointed at many times to assist other users. 
I hope you can calm down and listen.
Maurice

Hi Maurice
In fairness PN did say it wasn't ideal for that sort of use but they never once said it would be impossible or worse than dialup. They also never said that http would drop dead randomly either.
HTTP is the fundamental protocol of internet access. If PN can not provide it then there is no service provision.
MauriceC
Resting Legend

From the various posts you are making in a number of threads, it seems more likely that you have a problem with *your* end of the link.  Have you examined your router stats?  If so share them with those on Community and we can help advise you better.  
If there is problem at your end, no amount of shouting is going to solve it and neither will changing ISP?   Help us to help you - show us your router stats.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mal0z
Grafter

I'm not sure about the advertised service for FTP - but I maintain and update a few web sites - one of which is with Plusnet / PAYH - and although there are few huge files  - I never have problems uploading lots of web photos, data files and although I'm not on the newest basic residential products, it is not one of the higer grade products either.
It is most certainlt very much faster than dial up - so I suggest there is a problem, and it would be a good idea to let PN help find the fault.
7up
Community Veteran

Yes but I seem to remember reading that PN don't restrict access to their own ftp servers which explains in full why you have no issues.
jim:quote
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Quote from: okrzynska

HTTP is the fundamental protocol of internet access. If PN can not provide it then there is no service provision.

Yes?  But HTTP is carried on the top of a basic signalling system to get the symbols which form HTTP and TCP etc from one end of the link to the other.  If there is a problem at this low level of communication - nowt happens (or at least very little as it spends most of the time recovering from errors!) Show us the stats and we can help diagnose whether this *IS* the problem or that you do have a case.  
M

mal0z
Grafter

I said only ONE site is with PN PAYH, my other sites are external.
I'm not a professional - so that is adequate.
If I was a professional webmaster - I would certainly have a higher spec PN ISP service such as Pro which gives unrestricted traffic, as I see it .