cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Mods

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Forum Mods

I reported it about 7, went out just after 8.30, Strat had removed it when I got back about 10:00, As I said No mods on when I checked, But Hey they do have to eat breakfast, Just Checked Google, they didnt get it  
win7xp
Grafter

@ Steve M
At no point have i had a pop at the mods. They do an excellent job.
I am however only trying to point out a "black hole" in that if there are no mods online late at night then all hell could break loose
if someone was of a mind to do so.
No i did not report the post as guy arrived early to fix my heating system. (plumber and early in same sentence ? I know)
Lurker
Grafter

I just wondered, since I suspect that at least a couple of our lovely mods will receive notification on a mobile device when a post is reported, and as such I would have thought that had a post been reported, it would have been picked up pretty early on in the days (given the hours some of them keep Wink )
But if nobody tells them, they would just have breakfast etc, go to work, and then log on there to take a look as normal with a coffee.
Just a thought.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I will take a wild guess that a post i read in the early hours must of got out of hand, If it's what i think it is and i cant find the said thread anymore then there was nothing i could of reported at the time of seeing the thread.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
win7xp
Grafter

still not having a pop at mods but
pierre_pierre reported at 7am
Strat removed at 10am
If as strat says mods were notified early am by PN staff why did it take till 10am to remove very offensive material
Lurker
Grafter

Who said it took till ten?
You said it had gone by the time you started this thread @9am.
So, putting aside the fact that you aren't sure when you saw it, and you didn't think it was offensive enough to report (despite having time to read it and be offended), what exactly is the problem with volunteers getting a little shut-eye?
Perhaps the best option is to only come here after lunchtime.
win7xp
Grafter

right thats it - i am only trying to offer some constructive criticism as to how forums might be made a little safer place to be.
It should not be up to users to report posts which are grossly offensive. these should be picked up by staff or mods.
@ james_g I do not like your attitude - this is a very serious matter - you should not be having a go at me
I will be terminating my membership of forum later today
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): insulting comment removed.]
Be3G
Grafter

This is getting a tad silly. But here are the exact timings anyway:
First report received: 0719 by pierre_pierre
Thread removed: 0827 by Strat
I don't think a time of 1 hour and 8 minutes to action something – at a time of day when it would be unreasonable to expect many moderators online – is particularly slow.
Quote from: James_G
I just wondered, since I suspect that at least a couple of our lovely mods will receive notification on a mobile device when a post is reported

Unfortunately not. Sad Board notifications for the reported posts board don't work, and there was some dissatisfaction with the general admin option to send e-mails to all moderators upon a post being reported. The only way I've figured out to get at the reported posts without actually manually browsing to the board is using an RSS feed.
As far as the OP's general point is concerned, I can actually understand it to some degree. There was a time back before I was re-made a mod that a disgruntled poster started leaving a barrage of distasteful posts at the ends of various threads, and this was late at night so there were no moderators around… all I could therefore do (as a normal member) was just report everything in the hope that a mod would see it early the next morning. However, considering that 1. we are customers, and receive absolutely no perks for doing this job; and that 2. major incidents overnight are very rare (perhaps once a year, maybe even less frequent) I think that there is little else that could be expected of us.
Be3G
Grafter

A couple of posts managed to sneak in whilst I was writing my reply above. I suggest everybody calms down – this isn't that contentious an issue; there's no need to go overboard.
Edit: it's perhaps also worth pointing out that James_G is a former moderator, so can speak about the process with some experience.
win7xp
Grafter

I resent the personal attack by some members.
I have a very valid point.
Mods feel free to lock or remove this thread as my opinions are obviously of no interest to anyone.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ive personally saw on two other forums where you would not of expected certain very very offensive threads, And this was through dayime hours, Superhuman i think not, I understand how upset you seem to be as i too was upset from what i saw on two other forums i wont mention but they are respectable.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Santiago
Grafter

@win7xp
Of course your opinions are of interest. Sometimes these things get a little heated on here but it's not life and death. For example James_G is an argumentative [Censored] but he takes as good as he gets
I hope you don't leave the forum.
scootie
Grafter

I've seen some heated debates start at 2-3am before and thankfully the times ive seen it happen there has been a mod to chuck water of the fire pretty quick.
I use to be a night owl on here pretty often till 6am most mornings, all stoped now i got a baby to look after. But in the 2 years i use to do that i never came across any major offensive posts.
In this case i think taking just ova an hour from report to removal was fine, all thoe they could be a case to look at options to improve the report to mods during the early hours, be it PN staff having a account that can be used to remove offensive matrial if mods havent bein able to get to it first ect (am sure PN staff being able to censor would get a few peoples backs up thoe)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I look after forums for a support group for a condition on the Autistic spectrum. We continually have trouble with spammers, a while ago we had a spate including pictures that would be more suitable for a magazine such as Gynaecology Monthly. Recently we've had a spate of registrations originally from Polish IP addresses - the banned IP ranges list is getting ever longer. In spite of all our efforts we seem to average at least one spam post a day, and it can take several hours before posts get removed. However we've not had any complaints about delays removing the spam.
By comparison these forums get a very, very low number percentage of problem posts, and as today they are handled very swiftly.
Quote from: win7xp
No i did not report the post as guy arrived early to fix my heating system. (plumber and early in same sentence ? I know)

I really cannot understand that statement. I didn't see the offending thread so I can't judge, but if it was as bad as is being made out there is no excuse for not reporting the post(s) which would take far less time than a minute to do.
So far during April these forums have averaged 271 posts per day. It is totally unreasonable to expect the volunteer moderators to constantly watch these forums in case the 1 in 10,000 post appears that needs immediate action - they therefore rely on posts being reported. Just over one hour from when the post was reported I think is pretty good going.
These are Community forums and it's up to ALL members to show community spirit by using the Report to Moderator button immediately they see a problem. Leaving it up to someone else to report the post is not showing community spirit.  I'm sure the moderators would rather have 50 Report to Moderator alerts for the same post than none.
win7xp - leave the forums if you feel you must (I think it's your loss only), but I'd suggest that by failing to exhibit community spirit and reporting the problem you must accept a small amount of blame falls upon yourself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
win7xp
Grafter

message received and understood.
Post had been reported an hour earlier so there wouldn't have been much point.
Anyway points taken on board.
Looks like the old boys club ganging up on the newbie.
So much for free un-offensive free speech