cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally made it back online

dmillett

Finally made it back online

After leaving my old ISP (Eclipse) a few months back in a cost saving exercise, I can't remember the last time I bitterly regretted a decision so much.
After so many years of happy surfing, broadband access is but a distant memory now
Firstly I swiched to TalkTalk...... after approximately 1 month I was left with all talk and no ADSL, frustration with unhelpful staff over the next 7 days boiled over and I opted out of their contract within their 30 grace period.
That was on 22nd of Oct 2009.  Immediately after that phone call I placed an order with plusnet to take over my phones and adsl connection.
Seven weeks later and I'm back online, though not through plusnet completing the connection process.
The reason I'm able to be here is down to the fact that after so many delays and so much time elapsing, my confidence in progress of my order was such that I invested in a USB adaptor recently.
After promises and mistakes being made and timescales passing without any progress, I regularly called plusnet for updates.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this,but it appears to me as though, any problems were left sitting on the system and not followed up, only follow up phone calls by myself seemed to activate the process again.
Despite requests and assurance that I would be undated on any progress, still I find myself having to make enquiries myself or gather information about my order progression from TalkTalk .
E-mails that I can now access, appear very sparse and infrequent, phone calls even more so.
Having now for the first time been able to access questions raised, I see references to 'sms' messages, not sure what this refers to but I'm assuming mobile phone text.
On placing my order, I was very reluctant to give out my mobile phone number when text was mentioned, preferring instead to give landline number.
It was only after being assured that I  would not be contacted by text, that I gave my number.
One thing I hate above having no adsl connection is people sending me text messages, I hope this isn't the case here.
Short of being able to disable text wholesale, I disabled every text notification my phone has.
Finally, this morning I am informed that my phone line has moved over to plusnet, apparently adsl will take yet more time again.... another 5-7 days.
I can assure you all my confidence is such that I won't be holding my breathe.
Progress history to this point indicates that I should top up my pre-paid USB adaptor again.
17 REPLIES 17
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Finally made it back online

Talk Talk are notorious to get out of, they seem to completely screw up the phone line, and BTw keep saying, unable to do what you want the line is being worked on.
How do you expect PN to contact you?  giving them your mobile as a contact and then disabling it is a\ bit mad.  Why didnt you just say you hadnt one?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to PN. Sorry you've been having so much bother, I hope it's a bit smoother from now on.
There's a good community on the forum and I'm sure you be able to get help if you have any problems once you're connected, even if PN support is a bit off colour at the moment.
When you can login to the member centre, and check your details, you can delete your mobile number if you so wish. But having said that, it is useful to have it because they will update you with progress of your order or any future "questions" (tickets) you should have. Very handy if you have a broadband fault or your phone line goes down. You won't be pestered with loads of texts otherwise, my advise - suck it and see.
Oh and before I forget, if it was TalkTalk's fault causing the delays, make a formal complaint to OFCOM, we hear about so many of these problems on the boards.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dmillett,
When you raise a ticket you can decide whether or not you'd like to receive text responses - this can be done on a per ticket basis, so for example if you've a fault ticket you can opt to receive updates but if it's a less urgent query you can opt out.
With regard to the order, if you have a router leave it plugged in to the line and as soon as the ADSL light is lit you may be able to connect even if it's before the official completion date. I can't promise this will be the case, but I have seen it happen before.
dmillett

Hi guys, thanks for the replies
few points I think I should clear up here though.
@ pierre_pierre
I would have to totally agree with you about TalkTalk and also add that it was only after I was insistant that I wanted to leave that I finally got to speak to anyone that was of any help.
By that time, too late I was determined to leave.
As for plusnet contacting me... as I stated my preferred option was to give a landline number
I'm happy to be contacted by phone either mobile or landline, but text was NOT disabled after ordering, I've had it that way for years.
I specifically asked not to be contacted by text and only provided my number on the condition that I wasn't  to be contacted by text, as I do with anyone else.
If text messaging is usual channels for communication, frankly I would have preferred to have been told at point of ordering so I could select another provider that does not insist on text as a form of communication.
I received an assurance that I would not be contacted by text, so I continued with placing my order.
@Anotherone
Smoother is something I can only aspire to at this point, only time will tell what is in store.
I'm also pleased to hear that there is a friendly community on this forum.
As regards my mobile number, I'm happy to leave it in place, so long as plusnet are willing to meet the assurance under which I provided it, namely not contacting me via text.
As regards making a formal complaint to OFCOM about TalkTalk, so very tempting after the frustration they caused me, alas that would not be appropriate as I don't see that they are responsible for the delays.
Delays only started after my order was placed.  First delay was because plusnet had me on their system  as needing a new line from BT, strange considering my order was for transfer of services and the fact I tried offering a landline number as point of contact.
18 days wasted to get to the point of getting my order correct and requesting number portability.
A further 2 weeks before I contacted plusnet again as no progress seemed to be happening, I was informed the request had failed.
I have no idea how long that failure had been on their system, but only following my enquiry was a new request made.
In addition to that phone call, I also contacted TalkTalk, wanting to know why they were not releasing my number, they denied this was the case and informed me that they had received no such request.  
I had the word of one provider against the other.
A further 2 weeks again,  and I find that my telephone line has eventually found its way to plusnet (today), though I did find this information from TalkTalk (of all people) 2 days ago.
I'm also advised that I have to wait yet again.... a further 5-7 days for adsl service, I live in hope because that's all I got left.
Constantly I just hear the words  " We understand your frustration, but please be patient " when all I want is closure.
Confidence and expectation are long gone, patience is wearing desperately thin at this point too.
@Matt Taylor
Until  having invested in a USB adaptor a few days ago, my only possible form of contact has been telephone calls.
I also stated on a few occasions following my order that I should not be contacted via text, also stating the fact I disabled text as far as possible.
I would never select to receive text messages, I'm very interested in finding out more on how to stop them.
My router has remained plugged in and switched on constantly throughout, at this point my adsl light has not had the slightest flicker since Oct 17th 2009
I'm primed with my login details waiting to go, more in feint hope than expectation these days.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: dmillett
......................no progress seemed to be happening, I was informed the request had failed.
I have no idea how long that failure had been on their system, but only following my enquiry was a new request made.
In addition to that phone call, I also contacted TalkTalk, wanting to know why they were not releasing my number, they denied this was the case and informed me that they had received no such request.  ....................

That's pretty much what I'm sure I read from the last person who transferred from TalkTalk, I still suggest writing to OFCOM about them.
If you don't want to just opt out of individual SMS ticket update notifications (the're OK, really) you can always just delete your mobile number as I said.earlier.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Funny how often you see people having trouble moving away from TalkTalk with the gaining supplier saying that TT are not releasing the number. It's never TT's fault according to TT Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dmillett

Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: dmillett
......................no progress seemed to be happening, I was informed the request had failed.
In addition to that phone call, I also contacted TalkTalk, wanting to know why they were not releasing my number, they denied this was the case and informed me that they had received no such request.  ....................

That's pretty much what I'm sure I read from the last person who transferred from TalkTalk, I still suggest writing to OFCOM about them.
If you don't want to just opt out of individual SMS ticket update notifications (the're OK, really) you can always just delete your mobile number as I said.earlier.

If that is the case, then I would be only too pleased to make a formal complaint to OFCOM regarding TalkTalk.
Though the fact remains that the first delay was plusnet inflicted, as is the presumed failure to follow up the failed request without being prompted by myself.
Interestingly, I also just read a post on a thread in this section from another user who transferred from TalkTalk  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80915.0.html
Quote from: tihson

Can say plusnet did at least listen to my complaint which makes them 100% better than talk talk

I can relate to that comment, all too well.
Trying to get TalkTalk to accept the problem was on their end was mission impossible, despite all the delays the fact plusnet accepted they made mistakes with my initial order did give me cause to remain patient.
With regards to texts, I consider that side issue.
Having said that, I can't even confirm that I have recieved any texts.  I'm indiscriminate on that issue, every text goes ignored and unnoticed unless my wife picks up my phone occasionally and browses. 
I have no desire to make myself unobtainable, but I would sooner give up the use of my phone than be forced to use text.
So if I do find I'm receiving texts, removing my number is an option I will pursue.
dmillett

8 weeks almost to the minute of placing my order......... Finally !!!
fromsupport@plus.net
reply-tosupport@plus.net
dateThu, Dec 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM
subjectYour broadband is now active!

Restarting my router turned the ADSL light green, confirmation came from checking router menu.
System Uptime  0 hour(s) 2 minute(s)
DSL Status Connected
DSL Speed 448 Kbps Upstream, 8128 Kbps Downstream

Several attempts to login with user details have failed, so I turned back to my usb adaptor again.
Details confirmed and reinserted several times, all settings double checked ..... and double checked again.
I've had enough for tonight, going to try logging in through my router again tomorrow.
zubel
Community Veteran

The PN RADIUS servers will likely have 'noticed' your login attempts and should activate your account within about 20 minutes of first trying.
Alternatively, give PN a quick buzz (they're likely to be quiet now) and ask them to activate your account.
B.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there
Your account is active, and we've got a couple of connections between 10:15 and 10:40 pm last night.
Please let me know if you're still having problems today.
dmillett

Hi guys, thanks for the replies
I spent well over an hour last night trying to bring up a page without any joy.
Just got back to the task again now, still nothing so far having tried on 3 seperate pc's
Router shows I'm connected, web bringing up any page without using my usb adaptor still remains elusive
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dmillett,
I've had a look at your line and it doesn't look like your latest connection went through properly. I'd recommend rebooting the router, that should sort it - if not post back and I'll do a bit more digging for you.
dmillett

Quote from: Matt
Hi dmillett,
I've had a look at your line and it doesn't look like your latest connection went through properly. I'd recommend rebooting the router, that should sort it - if not post back and I'll do a bit more digging for you.

Hi Matt
After another hour of covering the same ground over and over, I was just about ready to start beating my head on my desk...... then I found your reply.
Tried restarting twice over and still nothing.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm. In that case I'd recommend trying the test usernames to log in with on your router.
First:
Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: leave blank
If this works (i.e. your router reports a connection and you can browse to http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo) then try the second set:
Username: bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
Password: again, leave blank
If this connects there should be no issues with connecting on your plusnet username and password. If there's a problem connecting on either of those two usernames then raise us an authentication fault at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get this investigated for you.