cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade and the pro addon rip off scam

djelite
Grafter

Fibre upgrade and the pro addon rip off scam

How many customers had pro addon when on adsl ? Did you know it does not make a difference on fibre and if you upgraded,
it may still be on your package and you will have been charged for this for no reason. Take 1000 unsuspecting customers x £60/year = £60,000 nice earner. I suspect more people than that may be effected by this.
Come on plusnet your providing a good service, don`t ruin it with this kind of behavior that I expect from lesser companies, this one addon should be removed and not available to fibre users if it makes no difference. Undecided
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre upgrade and the pro addon rip off scam

The Pro addon is still potentially useful for FTTC customers on older products as they have different traffic management policies.
There is sense in the suggestion that the addon doesn't transfer if a customer upgrades to a product that doesn't benefit from it however...
djelite
Grafter

Because it`s an addon it does not get automatically removed if you upgrade, the addon remains in use but is intended for adsl systems and not fibre. re read in no way does my comment suggest the product does not transfer, if you read correctly it states it may still be on your package when you upgrade and that we are being charged for an item that has no use on a fibre connection.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's not solely applicable to ADSL services. Whilst on current unlimited products (ADSLor FTTC) its benefit is questionable, some users choose to retain it for their particular circumstances.
David
djelite
Grafter

Plusnets own tech team told me it would not make a difference on fibre and was only intended for older adsl. So who is telling the truth ?Some customers choose to retain it for their particular circumstances. Informed choice on upgrade would make a difference.  I will pass this on to ispa to investigate it will be easier to get a independent investigation.
Kind regards Lord Douglas
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

For clarity Spraxyt is a customer just like.you.  Because you have spammed the same issue across three or more threads I can't be certain but I don't think you have had a response from Plusnet yet  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As a fellow customer I don't have a tech team. However, as Plusnet have advised the pro add was indeed designed for the older ADSL products. That description excludes the current ADSL product where traffic management is identical to FTTC ones.
David
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Doesn't having it prioritise your traffic over anyone that doesn't have it? I've never fully understood it. I remember nippier browsing and faster Sky downloads when I added it to my ADSL.
When I upgraded to fibre support made a point of saying on the phone they noticed I had the Pro add-on and that I would no longer need it and removed it. I haven't added it back to see what it does on fibre up to now as I'm already paying for Fibre Extra and didn't want to stump up another £5 a month on top of that for the Pro add-on.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought it just changed the priorities of your traffic to those in the table here. The priorities for certain kinds of traffic are higher with the Pro add-on, but for many things, which probably comprise the majority of most people's usage - the priorities are the same with the Pro add-on as without (for browsing, streaming and download servers).
djelite
Grafter

apologies spraxyt  for some reason I mistook you for a plusnet team member.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@ejs - Looking at that comparison guide indeed web browsing and streaming (if Sky downloads are counted as that?) shouldn't gain any advantage with the Pro add-on. How odd. I wonder whether Download Sites, Peer to Peer and Other figured into the equation for me some how.
chrcoluk
Grafter

It annoys me when people ask for its removal.
Its a way to "almost" bypass the priority system.
Yes many people wont care and as such they give it no value, but dont claim its useless for everyone. Remember there is no commitment, its a month by month addon.
djelite
Grafter

For the majority on fibre there should be enough bandwidth to do most things without prioritising, The problem I have is I should have been informed of this when offered the switchover.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That rather depends on what speed you actually have and how many users on the connection at the same time Roll_eyes
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: djelite
For the majority on fibre there should be enough bandwidth to do most things without prioritising, The problem I have is I should have been informed of this when offered the switchover.

thats bad business sense for a company to be automatically telling its customers how to give it less money unless the customer is asking the company this question, sorry but I dont agree with you on this one.