cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installation: a bit of a nightmare

davem

Fibre installation: a bit of a nightmare

Hi all,
I'm having a really hard time understanding what is going on with my fibre installation. I am transferring from BT Infinity Option 2 to PlusNet's Unlimited Fibre Extra package -- so the exact same plan, but a different provider. Here's a quick timeline of what's happened:

• 9th January: placed order, date for transfer set for 26/1

• 26th January: contacted customer support as no update or router delivered. Informed that my order had 'slipped through the cracks' and hadn't proceeded. Date then put back by a further *three weeks* (!) to 16/2

• 16th February: Phone switched immediately, broadband went down about 11am. Called at 4:30pm - told to wait, nothing they could do. Called again at 7:30pm, told broadband was not connected, would chase in the morning and call me back.

• 17th February: No phonecall from Plusnet. Chased up after work at 5:30pm and told by BT there are 'capacity issues' at the exchange. I am now without broadband and will be without it until next week!

To say I'm frustrated is a bit of an understatement. I rely on this connection for work and am having to go to all kinds of lengths to get my work done. I am hoping someone can address the following:

• What exactly are 'capacity issues'? I was already on the fibre connection, how can there magically be problems in capacity when I already had the same connection?

• Why is it taking a week to sort out?

• Why, in my router, can I see that the broadband itself is connected -- the issue seems to be that the account isn't active, since I get a lot of CHAP authentication failed messages.

Can someone from CS cast another look at this and see what the heck is going on, please?
1 REPLY 1
davem

Re: Fibre installation: a bit of a nightmare

So after persuading CS to give BT wholesale another call, it transpires that they need to "install a power frame at the cabinet", whatever that means, and now it also seems that it's unlikely that the broadband will go live on 25/2 either since everything is on backorder.
I am just so utterly frustrated that this wasn't anticipated in any way whatsoever, either by Plusnet or BT Wholesale. With better communication, this level of failure could have easily been avoided. One clear point would be to just delay the order -- my broadband with BT should never have been disconnected until it was clear that I could be transferred successfully.
I am now in the fantastic position of having no broadband and have had to purchase a cellular dongle just so I can keep my work going on whilst this debacle is unfolding. I'll be drafting a complaint to Ofcom in the coming days and hope to be compensated for the expense of having to spend a whole deal of my time chasing this up, failed promises from Plusnet and the additional equipment I've needed to tide myself over in the interim period.
If anyone from CS has further comments or can advise on how this situation can be resolved amicably as soon as possible, that would be great.