Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra is not as extra as you might think

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Fibre extra is not as extra as you might think

Be warned before buying, 6 months ago i signed upto firbe extra for upto 76 down 20 up, for the first 5 months i had a good steady connection of 74/18 and was really happy with the connection. 1 month ago my speeds were downgraded to 64/18 and after waiting hours on end for a reply about why such a big speed reduction i was told over the phone by plusnet that its either down to crosstalk or more customers in my area getting fibre.
In the fibre section of these forums theres a big incease in customers saying the same thing has happened to them, my worry is how much more will it decrease and will i and other customers still get charged the full price.  You may like to think it over before u jump in head first.
14 REPLIES 14
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre extra is not as extra as you might think

I understand the frustration of the speed being lower than when you initially signed up, however the speeds you're seeing are well within the range expected for your line  (these can be seen here: http://dslchecker.bt.com/ )
It's most likely that the speed has reduced due to increased take-up of fibre in your area, thereby increasing crosstalk and reducing the speed. Unfortunately unless your speed lowers a significant amount below the estimate there is little we can do to help further.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
St3
Aspiring Champion

so the more new customers to fibre the more reductions in our speeds, then fibre extra is pointless
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I have to stress that in this circumstance, the package is irrelevant to the issue. This is just the profiling on Plusnet's side of things.
But yes, crosstalk will take effect should there be more fibre customers in your area.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you are saying but I think the hypothesis of the OP is that if he gets a drop of 10Mb per additional connection then it would only take 4 additional fibre connections to put him into the realm of 'Unlimited Fibre' at 38Mb, so the purchasing of 'Extra' is redundant when it doesn't guarantee his initial level of service.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: Mook
the purchasing of 'Extra' is redundant when it doesn't guarantee his initial level of service.

Right, I see where you're coming from. So it's more a case of being unable to guarantee the service, rather than the packages?
I get that your example is hypothetical, but it's often on a grander scale with crosstalk.
WWWombat's explanation of crosstalk is one of the best explanations I've seen on the internet. Though BT are looking for a fix to this in vectoring (which is a pretty hot topic in the fibre forum).
The bottom line is we unfortunately cannot guarantee the service will stay the same at any point, and it is always subject to speed changes for the positive and the negative. However, we try our best to make you aware about what your predicted speeds should be upon initial provision, in term with OFCOM mandatory laws.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
AndyH
Grafter

I believe the OFCOM Code of Practice on Speeds is being updated and will give further protection to consumers. The problem comes when you have a speed loss issue that cannot be resolved -  If there are underlying unresolvable reasons for the speed loss (such as possibly crosstalk in this case), it's not going to matter which provider you go to.
All4One
Grafter

64/18 and unhappy  Cry What a life we live in  Crazy
Mine was running at 42Mbps 18 months ago, now it runs about 35Mbps. As long as it's there, all is goooooood.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It has always been an issue and from what I have read in game and on irc since 1999 from US players with cable and xDSL, then later Fibre.  e.g. Fibre was enabled on my cabinet last December which I couldn't afford at the time.  3 months later my ADSL connection speed improved dramatically as everyone on my cabinet/area upgraded to it.  That resulted in my 3-3.5mbit connection changed to 4.5-5mbit.
For the last  two months my cabinet has been waiting for an upgrade for fibre connections as it was full.  It was upgraded last week or so and I expect my Honey moon period with my connection that is at 32/6 mbit currently to drop in speed as demand increases in a month or more.
It was always the upto phrase that was the bad tag line, simply unless you rent a leased connection with a SLA, no connection speed is guaranteed
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
picbits
Rising Star

Mine started off around 74/18, fell to around 55/18 and is currently back up at around 62/18
Mine had a fairly steady decline over the first few months before eventually levelling out. Connection reliability improved though (currently on 10 days with my Billion Router having done a reboot for an unrelated reason to the connection)
I've still got almost double the speed of my next door neighbour who is with TalkTalk Cheesy
St3
Aspiring Champion

my speeds are poor again this even ........  totally crap
AndyH
Grafter

You need to run the BT Speed Tester and do the Further Diagnostics. If you fail the test, then run the next test (at the bottom) - but do it just once.
St3
Aspiring Champion

i had to jump gateways twice in order to get the connection back 64/17
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

BET you were on a BNG gateway previously  Shocked
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm sure there will be no need to do this, but if your speeds do creep toward 40/20 (and cannot be improved) you can request to be moved onto the standard Fibre package.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team