cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Optic Worse Than Adsl

Roadie
Grafter

Fibre Optic Worse Than Adsl

Had our "upgraded" fibre optic installed yesterday, engineer two and a half hours late, naturally, no phone call, no apology and, to add insult to injury bb speed slower than before, unbelievable. Were told to expect download speed of 33 Meg, actual download speed 1.3 Meg, before upgrade was 1.8 Meg. Upload speed gone from 300kps to 8 Meg, something not right surely !
22 REPLIES 22
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre Optic Worse Than Adsl

I imagine Plusnet need to update their profile to reflect your new line speed.
What does it say for Current Line Speed here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
You can get compensated for the missed appointment slot.
Roadie
Grafter

Andy, thanks for the reply, current line speed is 1.4 Meg, stone age and worse than it was before the "upgrade" !!!
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet need to update that to reflect your new FTTC speed.
Roadie
Grafter

I called Plusnet last night and was assured I'd receive a supervisor call first thing this morning, will post again after the call......
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Roadie
Run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Again check your Current Line speed (Login required)
It's got nothing to do with "stone-age", it's simply that your profile hasn't updated to match the new BT IP Profile.
@Plusnet - What is the matter with CSC WHY aren't updates to Current Line Speed not being implemented when a customer phones in. This should be a matter of routine, not all this BS about oh a supervisor will call you back - no wonder you can't handle the volume of calls and tickets Shocked
Also, why are we seeing an increased frequency of this issue when people move to Fibre, the Current Line speed was being set to the default 78Mbps (or 38Mbps?) awaiting the first automatic profile update? Roll_eyes
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@Plusnet - What is the matter with CSC WHY aren't updates to Current Line Speed not being implemented when a customer phones in. This should be a matter of routine, not all this BS about oh a supervisor will call you back - no wonder you can't handle the volume of calls and tickets Shocked
Also, why are we seeing an increased frequency of this issue when people move to Fibre, the Current Line speed was being set to the default 78Mbps (or 38Mbps?) awaiting the first automatic profile update? Roll_eyes

+1
I also have to question why PN did not put a service status yesterday about an authentication issue for new users (several already posted on here and a number on Twitter).
Roadie
Grafter

AndyH
Grafter

Once your line speed is updated (which takes PN all of 30 secs to do), you'll get full line speed.
Anotherone
Champion

Quite right Andy, and I've not been impressed by the general level of information given in some Service Status notices as mentioned here
@Roadie, a tip, whilst screenshots can sometimes be useful, usually a plain text copy and paste of speedtest results is usually good enough.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone this morning, Roadie. If you have any further problems don't hesitate to let us know.
Roadie
Grafter

Linn,
Thank you for the courtesy call this morning, am glad that you picked this up on the forum given that the member of staff who, last night, logged me for a supervisor call this morning, did not actually do it !! Download  speed now bouncing between 17- 43 meg, am assuming that this will settle down but will monitor it to make sure.
Thanks too, to the members who responded to this thread, much appreciated,
Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Anotherone

Linn, could you get some one to answer that please.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I agree, Anotherone. The first thing I did was check the speed profile and realised it was down at 1.4Mbps. This was due to the delta report being delayed coming in from BTW still sending us the report through from the ADSL connection as opposed to the new FTTC connection. The delta report came through BEFORE the FTTC order completed so on BTW systems it did still look like the customer was on ADSL.
Admittedly, this could've been resolved yesterday when the OP called in the spoke to the advisor so I will be feeding that back internally.
Roadie, glad to hear the speed's on the up for you Smiley If you do have any queries please do get in touch!
Anotherone
Champion

I know you are working like a good'un to solve these problems, but this sounds like a case of needing some escalation as well. These delayed Delta reports are causing all sorts problems across the board, not just for new Fibre connections.