cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling a bit ripped off.

Heresjonny159

Feeling a bit ripped off.

So my contract with my house ends this month and as such I have to move out, there is no way around this.  I've just been told that I have to pay £90 to cancel my broadband connection early.  This would be fine, except there is only 1 month left on the internet contract.  I would be more than willing to pay for the extra month and any standard charges just to end it now, but I'm told I have to pay the £90.
This is pretty unfair.  I can't physically change that I have to move out this month and I can't transfer it to where I'm moving now because it's my parents' place and they have a package that includes tv, phone and isn't available anymore, so they can't just change for this extra month.  Why should I be charged over four times what I would end up paying at the end of the contract?  It's only a month.
Honestly, the amount of times my connection has gone down, slowed to an absolute crawl and just generally not worked I feel this charge is very unjust.  Especially when I phoned to ask why my connection was so slow and I was told the connection is playing catch up.  Connections don't play catch up.  So not only has the service been unreliable, I've also been lied to by customer assistance and now I'm being charged £90 for a one month early cancellation, a charge that I wasn't informed of in the first place.  There is no mention of this charge anywhere in the cancellation guidelines on the Plusnet site.
So yeah, feeling ripped off.  I would just let the contract run out after I've moved out, but if the new tenants decide to get a bit overexcited with the phone I could be charged even more than the fee.
Any reasonable suggestions for what I can do about this?  Or will I get the usual "We payed for your broadband to be connected, your router and BT charge us a connection cutting fee," drivel I've seen toward anyone else with this complaint?  Honestly, you guys can have the router back, if it'll cut the charge down £30.  I also recall being charged a connection fee, so I don't know where this "free broadband connection" thing is coming from.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Feeling a bit ripped off.

When you joined PN you agreed to a contract and Its terms. Breaking the contract does Incur penalties regardless whether you have one month or nine month left, A contract Is a contract.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
David_W
Rising Star

One of the fees (I think) will be a disconnect fee.  As you are ending the broadband on the line it has to be physically turned off so PN have to pay that to BT and so pass the cost on to you.  The contract itself is only for 1 month by the way, you're dealing with deferred costs, costs to get your line connected, costs of the modem sent out to you, as you're leaving early (and cancelling the contract) you become liable for the deferred costs.  Isn't it possible to ask whoever is taking over your place if they can keep the DSL active for a month though, you'll still have to pay the cancellation fee but you'd be out of the deferral stage.
Heresjonny159

I would do that but I have no way of contacting the next tenants because the Estate Agents won't give personal details out.
I've basically resigned myself to paying the fee, but I think it's terrible that plus net would charge £90 to someone who's only got a month left on their contract, especially when I am willing to pay the remaining time.  If I was severing the contract way early I would completely understand, but when it's just an annoying unavoidable timing clash and it's only one measly month it seems absurd.  Consider this more a feedback complaint than a help request from now on.
Thanks and farewell.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let me get one of my team to contact you and see what we can sort out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've added an update to the ticket for you, hope that helps.
warbleeder
Grafter

if you want plusnet in your new house.. then try this
call them explain  that you have to move out and ask them to put your account on hold... they will only do it with your broadband (your phone will be disconnected and you will have to take out a new phone when you move it)
this would stop you getting the 90 pounds charge
but they would only do it for a period of 6 months (i now because they did it for me)
letme know if you go for this option and if it works
nadger
Rising Star

One of my referrals had to move, through no fault of her own, about 6 months into the account.
Plusnet put the account on hold for a few months and it recommenced when she bought her own property.
It all worked smoothly  Smiley