Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on leaving PN FTTC for FTTP

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Feedback on leaving PN FTTC for FTTP

I have been with PlusNet from Friday, 7 October 2016 until Thursday, 8 April 2021, which is 1645 days or 4 years, 6 months, 2 days. 😀

During this time, we have had some small challenges and some minor issues, but, in general, things have always been fixed, improved and the service, quality, and professionalism of the PN staff have been fantastic. 😀

However, due to workloads and in pursuit of a better faster internet, I decided to look at going from PN Extra FTTC to FTTP, to deal with the pressing demands of more online digital meetings due to the Covid situation and all four of us now working from home.

On the 5th Feb 2021, PlusNet informed me that my contract was coming to an end on the 12th of April 2021.

On the 6th Feb 2021, I signed up with BT for FTTP and I got lots of notice from BT that all services seamlessly continue, and on the designated changeover day, I would have a very short loss of services, (maybe up to 1 hour) broadband and phone number, which they were switched over.

PlusNet sent me a nice sorry you are leaving us message. And I never contacted PN about this, as I thought it was all under control and arranged. 🙂

So the switchover date was arranged for the morning (8am-1pm) on the 15th April 2012.

On the 8th April, (8 days before the arranged switchover date) we all lost our PN Broadband service but not the phone landline. 

Unfortunately, I was not at home but overseas, as I would have contacted PN.

But my wife, knowing we were switching over to BT, and as we are using a BT SmartHub6 on PN, the (no broadband service) ISP home default page, told her to contact BT, so she contacted BT, to find out what was going on!

BT was great and apologized for PN’s early switching, and after the BT runaround for three hours, sent us an emergency 5Gminihub for the next 8 days to give us a basic internet service.

On the 15th April Openreach came and installed FTTP and switched over our phone 😀

It’s very sad that the last 8 days of being with PN, was a very distressing experience for all of us four working from home as a BT 5G mini-hub is no substitute for PN Extra, but we worked out a work pattern rota to share the internet and not overload it.

I have written this feedback for PN information and my last PN bill, which seems a bit confusing so can someone explain how it is covering the whole month until the 11th May 2021 and not full and final till 15th April 2021?

End 15th AprilEnd 15th AprilWhy 11th May?Why 11th May?

15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Feedback on leaving PN FTTC for FTTP

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Plusnet Feedback..
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Leapy 

I have written this feedback for PN information and my last PN bill, which seems a bit confusing so can someone explain how it is covering the whole month until the 11th May 2021 and not full and final till 15th April 2021?

It looks, from your bill, that your billing date is the 12th of the month. You are billed monthly in advance. A final bill won't be issued until after the switch has completed, in case there are delays etc.

So at the moment, you have been billed a full month from 12/04. Now that your switch has completed on the 15th, PlusNet will issue a final bill, which should provide a refund for the period 15/04 to 11/05.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW thank you for that information.😀 As my Broadband was cut-off by PN on the 8th April, will that also be accounted for in some way?

This is the bill that is for the 8th April, when the PN service was cut off.😠

Screenshot 2021-04-16 5.49.43 PM.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I would assume so. I don't understand why it should have been cutoff early, did your phone get cut off as well ?

You probably need to call  customer services to find out why it happened and clarify the refund.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW No, just the Broadband, my phone stayed with us until the 15th April, when it went to BT FTTP and became digital.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Does anyone know, when I need to close my direct debit for my PN Broadband and phone, now PN is no longer supplying services?🤔

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

When you have paid you final bill/got any refunds that are due.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

@Leapy  Looks like the usual Plusnet billing nonsense, I guess the accounts department know nothing about your broadband being cut off early so they just keep charging the usual amounts.

The interesting and strange thing is that you have an order for Fibre Extra dated 15/04/21 which doesn't make any sense at all.

I would use the https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/ link and ask for compensation for the early cut off of Broadband and the inexplicable new fibre extra order.🙄

By the way, I assume you were paying out of contract prices as I am paying £24.99 for fibre extra including line rental, I was offered new customer prices when I renewed my contract recently. I also have an existing line rental saver so for the next 6 months or so I will be paying less than £5 a month for fibre extra.😀

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@RealAleMadrid Yes, there was a mismatch over the years and my yearly line rental ended two months before the last 18month broadband contract, so I was full line rental and then, because my BT order (placed on 6th Feb, could not be done before the 15th April), there was the higher fees at the end of the contract.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

UPDATE

Got a call from Plusnet, yesterday, accepting I was cut off my Broardband  8 days before it should have been switched to BT and denying all responsibility for the action and offering a small token goodwill payment, for the inconvenience.

Got lots of information about the final billing process and the timeline.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Leapy wrote:

Does anyone know, when I need to close my direct debit for my PN Broadband and phone

I closed mine when they sent me the final bill...which was for 0.23p. And then I got another email, not long afterwards, saying that the DD had been cancelled and could I make another one. I just 😀

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

I got my final bill (refund from PN) today and, as you can see the broadband that was cut off early, is one price, and date and the phone line is another price and date.

So, now I guess I need to check my account for the refund and then close the direct debit...just in case, PN wants to give (or take) some more money. Roll_eyesThumbs_Up

For a benchmark, I set up my switch from PN to BT on 6th February 2021 and got connected and switched to BT on the 15th April and the final bill from PN was 8th May 2021 so...92 days or 3 months, 3 days including the end date today.!

On the whole, my time with PN has been quite positive Cheesy but some bits are messy.

Screenshot 2021-05-08 3.28.17 PM.png

How long?How long?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

I just saw this on the growth of FTTP 204,301 added last month! I must have been the 1 Funny

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8981-new-record-of-204-301-premises-of-openreach-fttp-added-in-l...

Screenshot 2021-05-18 11.23.01 AM.png

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

I thought you may like to know how BT is performing on my Full Fibre 100 service.

Since the connection, it's been up 100% (the PN FTTC used to kick off sometimes, which I think might be linked to when the boiler kicked off) and at its best was around 68Mbps down and 15Mbps up on a clean line

FTTC before statsFTTC before statsFull Fibre 100 :-)Full Fibre 100 🙂