Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faults Team overloaded

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Faults Team overloaded

Given that the present time before a fault is picked up is apparently at least 3 days why aren't there vacancies here https://careers.plus.net/opportunities/ for faults staff
13 REPLIES 13
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Faults Team overloaded

They are more expensive than plain old CSC agents that can just spout a lot of Bull from crib sheets. It's part of the cost saving measures Lips_are_sealed
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

They usually get upskilled from tech support. A lot of the time, tech support are upskilled from CS. And CS are of course hiring.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I can understand the idea of promoting by ability as they develop the necessary skills but that is - and always has been - the preferred system in a company with a relatively stable resource/demand.
In this case Plusnet are actively expanding their customer base and hence the reported faults may be expected to increase proportionately. In this case internal promotion shouldn't be the only way forward. Surely you should be advertising for experienced fault handling staff to boost the numbers to the point where faults are routinely picked up in 24 hours.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

We also sometimes move new starters straight from CS training to faults/tech training if they seem capable/experienced enough in the earlier stages of joining us.
In the past we've seen higher percentages of new starters struggle to cope with all the training at once that is involved when going straight in to a faults/tech/prov role, however if we've noticed they seem to be over achieving in the initial CS training, there is sometimes the option to up-skill earlier than usual. On occasion, we will find people that are already pretty clued up on faults, in which case it's a no brainer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I can understand that but that really isn't addressing the short term problem. Surely advertising for experienced fault support staff would at least generate some responses from experienced personnel who wouldn't apply for a general customers service role
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I understand your point, and I think it's justified. Though I'm not sure how many people within our locality would be trained on broadband/PSTN faults. Even if they were, ISP's all have separate interfaces, CRM's, ordering/fault platforms, automation systems, etc that they use to get work done. All of this would require training without being thrown in the deep end straight away.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm with Jim in this debate.
With Plusnet having grown to its present size it is unlikely that filling the more technical roles can ALL be achieved organically.  Indeed there is a strong argument that a reasonable percentage of the positions must be resourced externally to allow for generation of new internal practices based on wider industry 'best practice'.
Yes, it is correct that there will need to be a period of retraining on the Plusnet back-office and working practice, but there may also be mid course correction of inherited 'poor practice'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Maybe if PlusNET would implement remote working, they could recruit for those roles from a number of the forum members who help out around here ....?  Shocked Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Oldjim
Surely advertising for experienced fault support staff would at least generate some responses from experienced personnel who wouldn't apply for a general customers service role

Those who already have such experience might want paying more.  Lips_are_sealed
Quote from: Townman
Maybe if PlusNET would implement remote working...

Need a good, reliable internet connection for that but with the shortage of faults staff...  Tongue

[/cynic]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

It seems to me that the reason for faults issues taking longer to escalate is not PN but BT.
In this weeks Uxbridge Gazette is an open letter from a BT engineer. He wrote in because a cabinet in South Ruislip was hit by a car and it took over 6 weeks to get it fixed during which time affected houses had no internet.
He writes that BT have reduced the number of qualified engineers. He goes on to say that the offshore call centre does not understand local issues. He writes that the South Ruislip cabinet would have been fixed within a week with overtime or shift work. I assume from this that both are now non existent so the engineers are 9 to 5 and fewer of them.
His parting statement is that BT are now far more interested in selling their products than looking after existing customers.
Let's be careful out there !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That isn't the reason in my opinion
It takes 3 days plus before the fault is even picked up by the faults team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Kremmen
It seems to me that the reason for faults issues taking longer to escalate is not PN but BT.

It does take time to pick up faults in-house as well, which is Jim's point. He has a case.
Quote from: Townman
Maybe if PlusNET would implement remote working, they could recruit for those roles from a number of the forum members who help out around here ....?  Shocked Roll_eyes

Would you want to...?  Shocked
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You couldn't afford me  Grin Grin