cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to deliver service

delta777
Grafter

Failure to deliver service

When I signed up for 38Mbps FTTC with Plusnet the estimated minumum connection speed was 27Mbps. On the day of activation I obtained a connection and also a download speed of about 20Mbps. Due to the large discrepancy I raised a fault and a BT Openreach engineer checked my line and found no faults but confrmed that my line length to the cabinet was about 1.2Km and as a result I would not get 27Mbps. Its now three weeks since the FTTC was activated and the BT Broadband availabilty still indicates that I could get the minimum estimated speed to be 27Mbps.

According t this I should be getting about 24Mbps for my line length:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

At the moment my connection speed is just 17.3Mbps

I've just about lost patience with Plusnet and BT Openreach to provide the servce that I signed up for, at least sowehere not too far below the minimum speed originally stated.

I've raised another fault with Plusnet in the hope that Plusnet will sort this out, but if that can't be done then I want to be released from the combined phone and bradband contract without incurring a penalty.

According to OFCOM, Plusnet have sgned up to a voluntary code of practice:

It may be of interest to know that we have put in place a voluntary broadband speed code of practice which Plusnet are signed up to. Part of this means that they should have given you an accurate estimate of the range of speeds you would receive before you agreed your contract. If the speeds you received were lower than those promised to you at the point of sale, and you raised the issue with them within three months of taking out the contract, we would expect them to release from you from your obligations if they were not able to improve the service.

3 REPLIES 3
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Failure to deliver service

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

I have moved this to feedback as you already have a thread here detailing your issues.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As it currently stands the line seems to be in sync at around 20Mbps, however I understand this is below the estimates on http://dslchecker.bt.com

I see you've raised a fault, so hopefully our faults team can get things where they should be for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
delta777
Grafter

Yes, the sync speed is currently about 20Mbps which is substantially less that the estimated minimum speed obtained from the BT Broadband Availability checker. That discrepancy is bad enough but in fact the connection speed had fallen to about 17.4Mbps for a couple of days and with an increase in ping. At least after reporting the fault the connection speed has gone back to its previous value, so it looks like something has been done. The substantial discrepancy between my current connection speed compared with the minimum estimated speed still persists though, and I doubt it will improve. The BT engineer who visited my property attrbuted my connection speed to the line length but that doesn't explain why the BT minimum estimated speed is so substantially different.