cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC just available but BT offer seems much much better....

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

FTTC just available but BT offer seems much much better....

For complex reasons my phone line is with BT, I can't move it to PlusNet even if I wanted to as they don't provide specific services I use.

So I pay PlusNet £12.49 a month for unlimited ADSL. That's fine.

Finally, several YEARS after parts of our exchange went live, my cabinet has FTTC. So I checked prices.

For BT it's £12.50 a month for 52mbps unlimited fibre, 12 month contract. Plus BT sport and other extras thrown in. £49 activation fee.

From PlusNet (another part of the BT group) it's £17.49 a month for 38mbps unlimited fibre. 18 month contract, £50 activation.

Is there even any point in asking if PN can match, preferably better, BT? Undecided

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTC just available but BT offer seems much much better....

You could try the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) to see if there's anything they can offer you?

You never know if you don't ask.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HPsauce
Pro

I already have. Cry They are not interested unless I switch the phone over too, which I can't. And that is PlusNets fault as they do not supply services that BT can. Crazy3

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

IIRC whilst BT quote the upper figure for an unimpaired connection, PN and other ISPs quote the lower unimpaired estimate You may care to consult https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

to see if indeeed that is so.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HPsauce
Pro

Connection speed isn't really the issue, it's primarily price.

FWIW I already checked speeds with that tool and the clean range is 49 to 64mbps, impacted 28 to 49mbps.

Given that I get almost 20mbps ADSL from a line BT estimate at 6.5 to 15mbps I'm fairly optimistic on speeds.

I know where my cabinet is and it's slightly nearer to me than to the exchange, i.e. my side of midway.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Just out of interest, if you don't mind, could you PM me the phone service you use with BT that we don't offer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@HarryB - this keeps coming up time and again - why can PlusNet not offer any standard network service available in the core BT infrastructure?  Is it simply a matter that the ordering and billing systems cannot manage the commercials for those options?

@Luzern - the speeds mentioned are not the estimates for @HPsauce's specific line, rather they are the product service speeds.  BT Wholesale have brought out a new product offering (up to 52Mbps) which is not offered by PlusNet, whereas BT Retail does resell this option.  This has nothing to do with reference to upper or lower estimate ranges for unimpaired or impaired lines.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

OK I may not have been thinking straight.  

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.