cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘Extra Fibre’ below expectations!

Torque
Dabbler

‘Extra Fibre’ below expectations!

I recently changed my product from ‘Plusnet Value’ to Plusnet Extra Fibre’, the fibre installation took place on 18 October.
The expected speeds for ‘Extra Fibre’ were 59.6Mb (down) / 20Mb (up).
The maximum speed I’ve seen, 24 hrs after activation, was 49.6Mb (down) / 5Mb (up). Since then the down speed has reduced to 39Mb and the up speed has remained at 5Mb.
Given the expected speeds, and having now passed the 10 day learning period, this is somewhat disappointing particularly when my speeds using the ‘Value’ product were a steady 11.5Mb (down) / 0.36Mb (up).
This ‘Extra Fibre’ product is more like the basic ‘Fibre’ product and certainly not what was expected. If these speeds persist can I expect to pay only for basic fibre product rather than the premium service?
John
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: ‘Extra Fibre’ below expectations!

Hi John,
Is your connection currently a wired or a wireless connection? If it is a wired connection then I'd suggest trying a soft disconnect, via logging into your router and clicking disconnect then power down your modem and router. Leave this switched off for a few minutes then power your modem back on and wait for your DSL light to become stable, then power your router up and login to your router and click connect and see if there is any difference.
If you still have no jot then I'd suggest trying to create a PPPoE connection, this bypassed the router. Use one of the following links to try this depending on which operating system you are using.
<a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/">XP</a>
<a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/">Windows 7</a>
Let me know how you get on.
Chris
Torque
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your quick reply. I confirm that I’m connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.
As requested I did a soft disconnect etc, which made no difference to my speeds. I then did a PPPoE connection directly via the modem and got the following speeds 2.4Mb (down) / 5Mb (up), yes two point four Mb down! Not believing that download speed, I deleted and set up the PPPoE dialler twice more and again got down speeds between 2.1 & 2.7 Mb. Interestingly the up speed remained at 5Mb despite the very low down speed.
I then reconnected the router to the modem and the speed returned to 39Mb (down) / 5Mb (up).
What do you suggest next?
Regards
John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
That's really unusual that you should see such a significantly reduced speed via a direct connection to the modem. I'm just wondering do you usually use an ethernet cable or is that just something you've tried after Chris' reply?
Also I'm just wondering how you've measured the speeds, can we ask you to run a test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Torque
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
I confirm that the PC I'm using to test is permanently connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. The previous test results have been obtained via Speedtest.net.
As requested I have now tested via the BT speedtester, the results as follows:
Via router
35.31 Mbps (down) / 4.78 Mbps (up)
34.53 Mbps (down) / 4.48 Mbps (up)
Via modem (PPPoE)
3.83 Mbps (down) / 4.74 Mbps (up)
3.97 Mbps (down) / 4.54 Mbps (up)
Regards
John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Putting the issues with the really slow speeds from the modem to one side for now I'm going to advise raising a fault in relation to this: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team