Grafter

Re: Estimated line speed - how about getting it correct

Distance:- Direct:    680 metres
  (appx)* By Road: 1.29 km
BT Line Speed Estimation:
Fixed ADSL:  1024 kbps (1 Mb)
DSL Max:          3000 kbps (3 Mb)
21CN WBC : 3000 kbps (3 Mb)
Important: The above figures are obtained from the BTw database, which is often conservative.
DSLmax speeds are best guess based on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.
pretty poor really - must be old clumps of wires.  I think the UK is quite possibly lagging behind other countries when it comes to broadband
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Guys,
Surprise, surprise!!  This is the result of My Broadband Speed Yesterday (11/03/2011):
Yesterday @ 23:21 1596 kbps (200kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
This the Result of My Broadband Speed today (12/03/20110.:
Today @ 18:35 1710 kbps (214kB/s) 148 kbps (18.5kB/s)
What I would like to know is why sudden drop from .378Mbps to .148Mbps for uploads.
Until yesterday I was getting around 1700 download and 370 upload (Kbps).  Does this mean that my banding has been altered?
I am at a loss.  I just can't believe this.  Until yesterday I had no complains.
Regards.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi again,
Raise a ticket with support about the issue of drastic drop in upload speed (as per my above post).  Support have raised 2 more tickets making a total of 3 tickets on my account.  2 of the tickets raised by support does not give me an option of closing.  So, now I can't raise another ticket if there is another issue to be looked at.  What kind of system is this?
grahamt
Rising Star

Just to add to the posts where the actual speed is very different from the estimated speed:
Estimated line speed:
    3.5Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-12-04 11:16:17
Current line speed:
    7 Mb

My downstream attenuation is 37.5.
The estimated speed is about what I was getting before I had my bell wire cut, but the date of the estimate is well after that happened (it was made when I changed my telephone tariff last December). Depending on the time of day my DSL connection is reset (it's pretty stable - currently 18 days and counting) my 'current line speed' varies between 6.5 and 7.15 Mb and has done for quite some time now.
Graham
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have they given up
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    4 Mb
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Seems like it, Jim. I noticed yesterday that my 'estimated line speed' and my daughter's have both disappeared.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
linux
Grafter

I still have an estimate, but it's still inaccurate:
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-21 03:29:44
Current line speed:
    6 Mb
Epyon
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
   7.0MB
Current line speed:
   ---
Estimated line speed i was told on the phone
  17MB (10-19MB speed may vary)
Odd lol
BT wholesale says this though
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 11Mbps and 13Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.