cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer came, pronounced connection OK, but it is not

jladbury

Engineer came, pronounced connection OK, but it is not

Like many on this forum, I have just switched from BE to Plusnet's fibre offering.
The engineer came this morning and installed everything and pronounced it OK. Sadly it is not. Although my various computers say they have internet access, none of them actually connect to any web pages, always getting 'Site unreachable' or similar messages.
I called support and got through fairly quickly. After 50 minutes or so talking through various diagnostic options, I was told that the fault would need to be escalated. I was told that it could take up to 72 hours to get another response!
This is simply unacceptable. Could whoever reads these forums on behalf of Plusnet ensure that my broadband service is up and running as soon as possible.
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Engineer came, pronounced connection OK, but it is not

Hi there,
I'm really sorry to hear about the issue with your service, especially that it's happened so soon after installation.
I'm sorry that we're not able to prioritize your fault as that wouldn't be fair on others whose faults we're working through at the moment, apologies for the inconvenience but we will endeavor to pick this up and investigate the issue ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi jladbury
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you problem, did the engineer connect to one of your devices, and show you the connection working ? ( they should do this, as its part of the install process)
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jladbury

In view of yesterday's call centre problems (I tried to call many times to get a time of day for today's visit, but gave up because of the excessive wait times) I began to have second thoughts about Plusnet. I rang BE to discuss my options if your service proved not to be as good as claimed.
They will be calling me this afternoon to see if I want to take them up on an offer including a free broadband dongle and credit to tide me over until they can hook me up to their fibre offering. If I decide to do so, what happens to the money I have already paid to Plusnet in advance  (1 year line rental  and a month's broadband)?
jladbury

I.T. works - the engineer confirmed that my laptop could connect to the wireless, and informed me that (as stated in your welcome pack) it would take 15 minutes before full access occurred. He then left, offering to call me later to see if all is OK. He did so a little while after my support call to Plusnet, and said that as Plusnet had now raised it as a fault there was probably little he could do. He is going to talk to his manager and see if there is anything he can do. He confirmed to me that the tests he ran on the modem checked out OK.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

The only time frame any ISP can give you is 8 am to 1 pm ( am appointment) 1 pm to 6 pm ( pm appointment )
BE do not offer a fibre service
PN fibre is 18 month contract
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jladbury

BE are offering me Sky fibre.

As far as I am concerned you are in breach of contract in that you have failed to supply a service. But I would prefer not to get into that, but would rather see some of the Award winning Customer Service that you tout so boldly on your Web site.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

The engineer should not have left with out showing you a working connection, that is not how the install process works, the engineer should wait for setup to complete , show you a working connection, then leave .

When you say "you" i assume you mean PN and not me, as i am just a PN customer like you Smiley
Regards
Mike

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not true I'm afraid - BTO offer (prior to self-install) two levels of installation service:
1.  Modem only
2.  Modem and router install
PN use the former so BTO are only obliged to test the VDSL parameters of the line and confirm that the modem connects.
BT, for instance, use the second type so the installation engineer gets the HH up and running.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried connecting direct to the OpenReach modem using pppoe?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the info pwatson, at the moment i have only dealt with fibre installs from BT, hence , i assumed ( wrongly ) the same for PN.
Regards
Mike

picbits
Rising Star

Total shot in the dark but also double check your telephone is still on the right number (dial your mobile and check the numbers match).
There have been cases of BT accidentally swapping over lines in the cabinet during install - rare but it happens.
I'm a BE refugee here - I got out just before the Sky takeover was announced. I'd urge you to try and get this resolved with Plusnet as generally they offer a pretty good service.
jladbury

Still no broadband after 9 days. Apparently the fault is at Addiscombe exchange. I have yet to be told when BT might fix this.
Any comments from official Plusnet personnel would be most appreciated, but thanks also to all non-plusnet people for their suggestions.
picbits
Rising Star

Don't feel that you're being ignored if you don't get a reply from PN staff over the weekend.
Sometimes they come on and answer questions in their own time (out of office hours) but generally they don't patrol the forums on the weekends.
picbits
Rising Star

P.s. sending you loads of genuine sympathy. When I first moved in my current house, I double checked with BT who said I'd get a 4Mb download speed.
I moved in then was told by them they couldn't supply ADSL but on further investigation Tiscali said they could. They took over my line, screwed everything up and left me without broadband for 2 months. BT then said I could possibly get it but it would be a maximum of 0.25Mb and would require an engineer visit.
Fortunately Eclipse said "what the heck - we'll give it a go anyway and see what happens" and I got a nice solid 6Mb (before they moved me to a Tiscali system which screwed it all up again).
Those two months without broadband were hell ! Actually I say two months without broadband, a neighbour kindly allowed me on his wireless but I could only access it by sitting on the toilet in the ensuite with a laptop .......