Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email claiming I can get fibre, when i cant

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Email claiming I can get fibre, when i cant

Today I received an email from plusnet claiming that fibre is now available in my area, I've been waiting for fibre to be enabled, so I was quite happy to receive this.

Tried to log into my account and it gave e the Ts&Cs of the fibre offer but no way to select fibre upgrade.

Called plusnet and about a 30 min wait (was advice 15) I was told by a very nice chap that it wasn't available and not sure where the email is from. Got put through to customer options to be told there is no record of the email but fibre is not available at until March.

Why did I received such an email and even gave me the ts & cs in my account when its just not true, seems rather strange!

Total first world problem but a complete waste of 40 min.

14 REPLIES 14
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Email claiming I can get fibre, when i cant

What does dslchecker.bt.com say when you put the details in? If you bypass plusnet line checker to go to BTW direct it will give the accurate view.

Sounds a bit strange like there is some bad data somewhere indicating you can have something and then when the tech check happens its overruling it.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @jrilton

I'm really sorry to hear that you were advised fibre was available. I had a quick look in your account earlier today and I too couldn't find any records of that email being sent.

I'd like to look into this further, could you private message me with the main body of the email you received and the from address as well?

Thanks.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jrilton
Rising Star

sent you a PM Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your PM.

Just to echo here what I replied to your message with, I've passed your account to my colleague to look into with our Marketing team to help ensure this doesn't happen again.

Apologies for getting your hopes up with fibre. You're probably are already aware, but it's expected to be ready to order by the 31st March 2017.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

In this instance, your cabinet was accepting orders for fibre when the data was pulled for this email. However your cabinet has now hit capacity.

It might be worth periodically checking here as occasionally the records do get updated before March. If this ends up being the case, then we can order fibre for you.

Not that I like hiding behind T's and C's, but this is stated in the legals of the email:

Please note, even if fibre is available in your area, sometimes your line can't support fibre or your local fibre exchange becomes full.

This is a bit frustrating for us, and very unfortunate, but now we're just waiting for capacity to be relieved again. Apologies for the hassle caused either way.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jrilton
Rising Star

Thank you both for getting back to me.

Although I'd question the info about my cabinet being at capacity as it's never been live, one of the frustration we as residents had was the contradictory and inaccurate info from openreach. It was only via our MP that we were told that the cabinet has never been live. Although the they did insist it would be December/early Jan, which is why I got excited when I got your email.

Seems OR are still giving out the wrong info as I check a couple of times a day, as do others and no-one has ever been able to order fibre.

Anyway that's an issue with OR not PN.

Thanks again
jrilton
Rising Star

Ugh this is getting silly now @MattyC @Anoush

Went onto live chat to discuss my upload speed, it's been set at 888 ever since I had a few issues last year, which have been resolved. I asked for whatever it is that's limiting it to be taken off, but was told that's my max line speed. I used to get 1.2Mbps before whatever changes were made last year, so I don't agree with that.

Anyway the chap I was talking to said I should upgrade to fibre, I said I can't get it, he said I can and did I want him to look at packages, of course I replied yes, he then transferred me (rather abruptly I might add)

Talking to a new agent we discussed the costs etc and she even went as far as to say my order was confirmed before she typed WAIT!! Turns out I can't get it.

Can't say I was surprised to be honest, but when she actually said the order was done I was really chuffed.

Seriously Plusnet, sort your systems out and stop teasing me with fibre!

P.s I never got my upload sorted!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm not entirely sure why the agents you were speaking to advised it was available. Typing your home phone number into the "Tags Checker" which is a system that we use that draws the data from www.dslchecker.bt.com

FTTC
Product status: Planned
Product RAG: Green
Reason code: A - ADSL is already enabled on this line
Ready date: 31-03-2017
CAB #: 29
Speed (Clean) : 68900 - 51900
Upstream: 18400 - 12400

Speed (Impacted) : 54000 - 30000
Upstream: 14900 - 6500

It clearly states that FTTC should be ready the end of march. Once again, apologies for getting your hopes up.

jrilton
Rising Star

@Anoush the second agent said it stated on the openreach website it was available but your systems wouldn't let her process it. She even went as far to quote other provider costs in my area to compare prices.

Oh well the wait continues!

Are you able to look at my upload or do I need to wait in live chat again for half an hour? Sad I really did used to get 1.2Mbps and it was reduced when interleaving or something was added last year.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies for not getting back to you about your upload speed.

I ran a test earlier today and the circuit was in sync with an upstream of 888 kbps.

This would indicate it's uncapped. As a capped upstream is 448 kbps. It's possible something's impacting the speed.

I'd recommend perhaps progressing this just like a fault.

Would advise to try connecting your router into test socket and see how it goes.

Explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

888 upload would suggest interleaving is on for the upstream. I'm going to request that's turned off.

Done...

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
11.6 6 0 0 7060183 1148
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jrilton
Rising Star

thanks @Chris, appreciate you sorting that. Smiley

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Frightening that two separate Plusnet support staff didn't instantly recognise 888 upload as being due to interleaving.

I bet I wasn't the only user who realised that before getting to Chris' post.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I put my hands up on the fact I wasn't aware that interleaving can do this.

I now know for future reference.