cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't join Plusnet Internet

ckinnersley

Don't join Plusnet Internet

Been having issues with Plusnet internet for several weeks (dropping connection / constantly slow speeds). After sending over two engineers, Plusnet's response was: 'we can send round a 3rd engineer or you can leave for another service provider...'. 

Still no clearer to what the issue is, and every time i call Plusnet they assure me they will ring me back to confirm a booking or progress and then...no response. A half-hour wait every time you want to speak to customer service, who then promise to get back to you with solutions and then never respond. Engineers sent out who don't update Plusnet, and so the customer has to contact Plusnet again, who don't respond, and so the process continues. Awful technical service and awful customer service.

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Don't join Plusnet Internet

Remember that the line is BT Openreach's, it will be the same line with another ISP.  The engineers are also BT Openreach's engineers ... who will remain the same with another ISP.  Yes, Plusnet is responsible for managing the service, but all ISPs will be facing the same indifferent service from BT Openreach.  If Plusnet has said you can leave penalty free, it sounds likely that BT Openreach has advised that the line cannot be improved ... which means you might not fair better with a different ISP either.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Only two Openreach engineers? They sent four and the fault was still there. Three new mastersockets fitted on three occasions and a replacement Hub One.

Then it was more or less tough, your service is fine.

Moved providers and the fault was fixed within two weeks and one further Openreach visit. It needed a new line between the pole and mastersocket.

I think the major reason was that it was being logged as a broadband fault when all along it was a phone line problem. The last person was a telephone engineer because the new provider determined it was a line fault.

Plusnet didn't seem to care in the end and the fault did follow me to the new provider. It's the way it is handled that matters and not a case of always criticising Openreach for Plusnet's failings.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is indeed correct and raises the possibility of this being a legacy broadband only account (phone line is with a different service provider and therefore Plusnet cannot invoke phone line engineers).  It would not help if a user does not have a phone handset to check for noise on the line - there are many who refuse to have a handset to self help with issue resolution.

We are short on background information from the OP, but we can be sure that no ISP lightly tells their users they can leave without penalty.  The only circumstances in which this happens is when BT Openreach throw in the towel on fixing the service provided by the end retailer - potentially here broadband only from Plusnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ckinnersley

I'm aware that the line is BT's. The technical fault is only a part of the issue here (albeit i had 6 years previously with Sky internet with no technical issues) - the main point is that Plusnet's poor Customer Service has exacerbated the situation exponentially. 

To use my last conversation with Plusnet as an example - the rep was unaware from his systems that we had had 2 engineer visits already in the last two weeks, and seem to have no record of the ongoing issues (after 5+ previous calls, each time with a different rep). The rep then said they would organise another engineer visit, and that i would be contacted on Thursday to confirm the time. It's Sunday now and no such notice. This is representative of every contact i have with Plusnet  - long wait times on the phone, a new conversation each time with a new rep, no solutions, and then no follow-up contact when promised.

An internet service provider who doesn't offer any discernible services, but is happy to charge full price for it...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @ckinnersley, I'm sorry I called at a bad time!

I have updated your ticket here for you with the next steps in getting this resolved for you should you wish to progress with the fault investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
JJmcneil
Grafter

@newagetraveller wrote:

Only two Openreach engineers? They sent four and the fault was still there. Three new mastersockets fitted on three occasions and a replacement Hub One.

Then it was more or less tough, your service is fine.

Moved providers and the fault was fixed within two weeks and one further Openreach visit. It needed a new line between the pole and mastersocket.

I think the major reason was that it was being logged as a broadband fault when all along it was a phone line problem. The last person was a telephone engineer because the new provider determined it was a line fault.

Plusnet didn't seem to care in the end and the fault did follow me to the new provider. It's the way it is handled that matters and not a case of always criticising Openreach for Plusnet's failings.

couldnt agree more. im on my forth engineers visit, and still no resolution. absolutely no accountability coming from Plusnet. and a constant barage of blaming openreach or the customer for a service that plusnet is ultimately responsible for. thats why i have asked to be freed from my confinement with what i consider a woefully inadequate/incapable ISP.  

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@JJmcneil I can see you have a complaint open that is being dealt with at present, please keep us up to date there.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team