cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this post from MSE forum look right?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Does this post from MSE forum look right?

Between a rock and a hard place with Plusnet
Hi there,
I've just had a chat with my internet and phone provider (plusnet). 4 months ago I signed up to a 12-month renewal of my at-the-time rolling contract, and got a really good deal - £130 up front for line rental, £2.50 a month for unlimited broadband.
Now I'm kicking myself, because we're buying a place and moving in a couple of weeks. Plusnet, of course, are now in a great position - I'm locked in for another 8 months at current address. They've given me a few choices:
A) a 24 month contract extension. No engineer charges etc, move the phone number across. £2.50 remains the same until the old contract runs out at which point I'm paying £9.99 for the remaining 16 months.
B) an 18 month extension. Same deal as A but I lose the £2.50 rate immediately, straight to £9.99.
C) a 12-month extension, I pay £50 for the engineer to come and fit the line, and it's £9.99 a month for broadband as in B.
I suggested another option:
D) I cancel the contract and use someone else. They answered that I'd lose the prepaid line rental (around £89) and they'd charge me £80 for disconnecting. So around £169 just to leave.
I'm aware there's not much I can do to argue with them, since I have the 8 month commitment still outstanding. What do you reckon's the best option?
First thing that comes to mind, is why he need change ISP on the move, or why he is not using MAC.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Does this post from MSE forum look right?

The options all look correct to me...
Don't understand your comment about changing ISP and using a MAC?  The OP is under contract to PN and either has to buy out the contract (Option D) if he wants to leave PN or accept one of the other options to continue to use them after the move.
I'm sure they've worked out the relative broadband costs:
A) £179.84 for 2 years service
B) £179.82 for 18 months service
C) £169.88 for 12 months service
D) £169.00 for 0 months service
The OP doesn't say what is happening about the LRS in options A-C but, assuming PN are letting it run on the new line 'as is' and expire in 8 months and assuming that a phone contract needs to finish at the same time as the BB
A) 8 months remaining LRS (£0) + 12 month renewal (£132) + 4 months @ £15.95 standard rate (£63.80) = £195.80
B) 8 months remaining LRS (£0) + 10 months @ £15.95 (£159.50) = £159.50
C) 8 months remaining LRS (£0) + 4 months @ £15.95 (£63.80) = £63.80
Therefore the total cost for the contract period is
A) 24 months  £375.64 (£15.65/month)
B) 18 months £339.32 (£18.85/month)
C) 12 months £233.68 (£19.47/month)
D) 0 months £169
If the line rental can actually be renewed for £14.99 the the costs are a little cheaper of course.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

What I  thought was why he needs to leave PN on a move of house.:-\
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
This does look correct although the discounts that are already in place should transfer if moving to a new address with any new contract being taken so I'm unsure what this was removed under the 12 and 18 month contract options. Normally the Customer Options Team would negotiate a new offer if the customer is moving and taking a new 24 month contract but aside from this it should all remain as is.
The good news is that LRS would most definitely transfer over to the new address so this would remain unchanged.
UPDATE
Upon further discussion with our Home Move team it does appear that discounts will be renegotiated when taking the free house move option so the quote from MSE is correct. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by my reply  Embarrassed