cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest, incompetent, uncaring or is there a genuine reason?

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Dishonest, incompetent, uncaring or is there a genuine reason?

I have been a broadband customer for many years now. I am considering changing my phone line rental across to Plusnet. It appears that to do this, I have to change my existing broadband (Extra charged at 11.49) to Unlimited and then add in the phone package (basic weekend and evenings probably). This probably makes good sense.
When I go to the products page to amend my package, I find that the new Unlimited package has an estimated speed of 15.5Mb/s. Further down, it states that the estimated speed for my existing package is 7.5Mb/s. So these are personalised estimates.
So clearly changing my broadband package is going to double my line speed ? HURRAY, WONDERFUL - MARVELOUS
Yeah - and a flock of pigs just flew past as well. After the best efforts of your faults team over many months, my line speed is no more than 6Mb/s.  So how come your estimate of 15Mb/s on the new package. Are you dishonest - claiming something you know you cannot achieve to gain customers on a false promise - yeah I know its worded in a mealy mouthed way;  incompetent programming of the web page that picks up the wrong numbers, or possibly you have a real reason you would like to provide. I would be delighted if you did have a decent reason and were not any of the other alternatives.
11 REPLIES 11
ssiney
Dabbler

Re: Dishonest, incompetent, uncaring or is there a genuine reason?

i got worried when new sales calls are answered within 5 secs but now i am a customer with a problem i have to wait upto 40 mins for support
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Bear in mind the estimates are based on BTw/BTOR figures and there have been similar reports by others recently, both high as with you and low in other cases, which have basically made the estimates look a bit of a joke!
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

Agreed in part - but given the estimate on the same page for my existing line is 7.5Mb/s and the change is principally an accountancy one - why should they use a different estimate for the new package.
I also realise that it is possible to come up with some mixture of download types that would mean that the new "all at line speed" package could show slightly faster than the same mix on extra but the statistics needed to justify the difference shown would be fascinating - definitely in the lies, dammed lies and statistics class.
dick:quote
mikko
Grafter

i got worried when new sales calls are answered within 5 secs but now i am a customer with a problem i have to wait upto 40 mins for support

It took me 4 secs to give my MAC from my previous ISP to become a new PN customer....
ssiney
Dabbler

try calling for support now you have and let me know the time
Anotherone
Champion

ssiney
Dabbler

nice info thanks - now i am going to test that
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi EnglishMohican,
Sorry about the confusion between the speeds, we currently have a problem relating to the wrong speed being shown on certain account changes, this applies to you in your situation.
I can see that the 15Mb/s is the current estimated speed of your line, the 7.5Mb/s refers to a 20CN(ADSL1) connection, it is pulling the incorrect data.
As you mentioned they was an intensive faults investigation on your line to try and get the estimated speeds your line should be capable of but this was not resolved and would need further investigation to resolve this.
Your line is still showing the same estimates <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput">here</a> which we get our data from.
We'll get this problem fixed ASAP, this would then state your line speed to be 15Mb/s and not 7.5Mb/s.
Anotherone
Champion

He's on his knees, hands clasped, looking upwards and thinking "if only" and "if ever"  Cheesy
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

@Anotherone - Absolutely right this time!
@ Chris - Thank you for the answer. Certainly I think Plusnet should get its own house in order and not write code that picks up the wrong data - but in a funny way you are not improving the situation. After all the investigations, I am convinced that my line is as good as it is going to get and that 6Mb/s is about flat out (maybe 7 on a really good day.). That just emphasises that the 15MB/s is a total farce and even if it is BT's fault rather than Plusnet, it is less than impressive that Plusnet still go on using figures that are clearly in the smoke and mirrors category. Either you should be pressing BT to sort their figures out (and achieving something) or you should not be using these figures.
If nothing else it cost Plusnet a lot of time and money investigating the problems I had - some of which were genuine but some of which were just my desire to achieve what BT falsely say I should be able to achieve.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Certainly I think Plusnet should get its own house in order and not write code that picks up the wrong data

To be fair Chris has mentioned that this is an issue we're aware of and we're working to fix it. I'm sorry to see you were one of the customers impacted by this in some way.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team